Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Maribor Thursday 715pm

Thought we played pretty well but missed chances could put us out of Europe. They had 2 good first half chances but we really should have been at least one or two up at half time. SURELY DM is looking for a central defender but CREDIT to Taylor for his involvement in our goal. I thought Ash played well but he costs us goals on all too regular a basis and we're not comfortable defensively and under pressure. 1-1 not a disaster and a positive performance but they'll be better at home, but we definitely are still in the tie and capable of advancing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Away goal was a real blow but when you have Ash Taylor in your team you are always likely to give away soft goals. Manager must get in a replacement as we need rid of this clown. Can consider ourselves unlucky not to be ahead going into 2nd leg as we created enough chances. Maribor will be delighted to get the score draw and suspect they will look to play in a similar fashion as today next week. Still in the tie and after tonight I do think we can go there and get a result.

We played really well last night and I think overall a draw was harsh on us, had we taken out chances it could have been a different story. Jack seemed to be a different player, I thought he was superb last night. It just makes me wonder if a Jack - McLean midfield pairing just does not work for us. It is certainly still an area that needs addressing.

Taylor I thought played well up until the mistake and these mistakes are coming too frequently from him just no win my opinion. We need a new CB ASAP.

We played really well last night and I think overall a draw was harsh on us, had we taken out chances it could have been a different story. Jack seemed to be a different player, I thought he was superb last night. It just makes me wonder if a Jack - McLean midfield pairing just does not work for us. It is certainly still an area that needs addressing.

Taylor I thought played well up until the mistake and these mistakes are coming too frequently from him just no win my opinion. We need a new CB ASAP.

Totally agree with everything you say Reidzer.

If we'd taken our chances we could have been out of sight for the second leg and their goal would have been nothing more than a dampener on things.

Still all to play for over there. Don't think they'll believe we will go with both Stockley and Rooney over there. My view is we have nothing to lose and should go for it

Unfortunately I couldn't make it at the last minute but caught most of the game on a stream and agree with pretty much all of that. I don't think we've got anything to fear next week based on last nights game. Yes they're a good team but we seemed to control them very well and had we taken our chances the game would have been over long before their goal.  We've shown we can create chances against them, we just need to take them.

I don't think a Jack McLean pairing works in the middle as a two either, although Mclean has always looked better in a number 10 role anyway... if we get a more defensive minded central midfielder to pair with Jack I honestly believe performances like his last night will become the norm.

Taylor needs to go too, seemed to play well but we all knew there was a bombscare moment around the corner. If we can arrange a bounce game for the weekend to let Reynolds and O'Connor start to form an understanding then if it goes well pair them in the return leg against Maribor.

Apparently in the history of The Europa League only five teams have entered at first qualifying round and made it all the way to the group stages.

Anyone care to name them ?

We will be number six  :thumbsup:

Maribor one of them? Dnipro?

Decent wee article in the Scotsman:

Jonny Hayes’ 88th minute equaliser earned a late, though well deserved, first leg draw for Aberdeen against Slovenian side Maribor.

Here’s everything we learned from a hard fought 90 minutes for last season’s Ladbrokes Premiership runners-up.

Aberdeen have every chance of going through

There was no doubt the home side were the better team on the night, particularly during a frustrating first half where they did everything but score. Maribor will have chances of their own in the away leg - they squandered a couple of great ones themselves during an entertaining first 45 minutes - but will have to shore themselves up at the back a little if they’re going to keep a clean sheet next Thursday. If Aberdeen can strike first then expect to see the whole team defending for their lives, while in Adam Rooney, Niall McGinn and Jonny Hayes they have an abundance of threats on the counter-attack.

Questions remain over Aberdeen’s centre-back partnership

Aberdeen supporters wanted to see their side strengthen at the heart of the defence this summer, but thus far Derek McInnes has kept faith in Ash Taylor and Mark Reynolds. For most of last season the pair were well off form and the manager seems to be gambling on them rediscovering their 2014/15 best, when they developed into one of the country’s best centre-back partnerships. So far it’s not looked to hopeful. Taylor was at fault for the goal last night, and doesn’t appear to have shaken off his propensity for committing the odd howler in the European campaign, while Reynolds probably shouldn’t have stepped up in that situation and left his partner on an island against scorer Milivoje Novakovic. Aberdeen’s plan was to press Maribor all over the pitch, including the back four, so as not to let the visitors utilise their superior technical abilities. But when Aleks Pihler received the ball and squared himself to Reynolds, who was still 20 yards, the Aberdeen defender should have recognised where the danger was and stayed alongside Taylor, providing insurance in case anything went wrong, which it did.

Aberdeen have flexibility in their approach

In terms of formation, Aberdeen have always shown great versatility. During a home win over Ross County last season, McInnes altered the shape of the side no fewer than four times. However, regardless of who’s standing where, they often tend to go with the same style and approach, built around keeping possession and getting the ball to McGinn and Hayes on the wings. Against Maribor, they were different. They were direct. Often they would play quick, long(ish) balls up towards the strikeforce of Adam Rooney and Jayden Stockley. After conceding, with Stockley having been replaced with the slighter Wes Burns, they went back to the approach with Taylor going up top and through this source they found their equaliser. Even though they only scored once, it was a highly effective tactic for creating chances against Maribor’s defence. It’ll be a conundrum for McInnes next week. Does he try it again or sacrifice one of the strikers for another centre midfielder, thereby giving the defence greater protection in what’s sure to be a tougher contest away from home?

Maribor’s defence can be exposed

Marko Šuler and Rodrigo Defendi (nominative determinism at its best) were an experienced centre back partnership for the visitors, though neither covered themselves in glory against Rooney and Stockley. Šuler, in particular, struggled with all aspects of his game. It could be viewed as a bad day at the office for the Slovenian international, who’s been capped 39 times by his country. Or it could be an example of an ageing defender struggling to deal with a pair of troublesome opponents. Regardless of how the Dons line up in Maribor, expect them to put the 33-year-old under some early pressure in a bid to throw him off stride again.

Ryan Jack may be returning to his best

The 2015/16 campaign was the poorest Jack has suffered since McInnes took over at Aberdeen. After starting the season excellently, including a tremendous performance in the 3-1 win over Hearts that stretched the Dons’ winning start to seven league games, his form soon slipped and he wasn’t even first choice towards the end of the campaign, a damning indictment for a club captain. Everyone knows there’s a talent there and the Maribor match provided hope he’ll return to that level. Rather than shirking back as part of the double pivot in a 4-2-3-1, Aberdeen’s 4-4-2 system called on the two centre midfielders (Graeme Shinnie being the other) to tireless run up and down the park, supporting the attack at one end and getting in the faces of opponents at the other. Jack rose to the challenge and will look to use this as a springboard for the season ahead.

I missed the game due to a multitude of reasons and only just got to watch the highlights.  After hearing so much about his performance I kept a particular eye on Taylor.  I noted with interest Shinnie having a go at him in the 1st half and also when the goal came no-one really wanted to go near him despite his notable contribution.  It could be patience is wearing thin with him within the squad as well as the support.  I'm wondering if DM is planning on dropping him but not wanting to go with an untried defensive partnership in Europe which does make some sense.  With that in mind I wouldn't be at all surprised to see O'Connor starting against ST J.

Aside from the issue at CB and particularly Taylor we're starting to look a quite aggresive and direct side.  Stockley is going to have a field day in the league and is fast looking a very shrewd bit of business. With the attacking options at our disposal I think domestically we are going to score a shitload of goals this season..... If we can only shore up the back line we could have a glorious season.

Great to see Jack showing a return to form, this is a really big season for him and he's also out of contract at the end of the season.  Overall I'm reasonably confident we can do the business in Slovenia. 

I missed the game due to a multitude of reasons and only just got to watch the highlights.  After hearing so much about his performance I kept a particular eye on Taylor.  I noted with interest Shinnie having a go at him in the 1st half and also when the goal came no-one really wanted to go near him despite his notable contribution.  It could be patience is wearing thin with him within the squad as well as the support.  I'm wondering if DM is planning on dropping him but not wanting to go with an untried defensive partnership in Europe which does make some sense.  With that in mind I wouldn't be at all surprised to see O'Connor starting against ST J.

Aside from the issue at CB and particularly Taylor we're starting to look a quite aggresive and direct side.  Stockley is going to have a field day in the league and is fast looking a very shrewd bit of business. With the attacking options at our disposal I think domestically we are going to score a shitload of goals this season..... If we can only shore up the back line we could have a glorious season.

Great to see Jack showing a return to form, this is a really big season for him and he's also out of contract at the end of the season.  Overall I'm reasonably confident we can do the business in Slovenia.

Had a gut feeling McInnes will do exactly that myself. I was tempted to even suggest it for our away leg but that might be a bit too risky. At least I really hope we're thinking to do that or we're going to get rinsed through the middle all season.

I see McInnes thinks Maribor won't be set up too differently on Thursday and park the bus.  I'm inclined to agree as they've got what they needed, a hard fought (undeserved) away goal.  We play like we did last week minus the fuck-up-ery on occasion we should be fine.  Surely he has to drop Taylor  ???  :-\

Game is live on Premier Sports and i'd presume RedTV.

Out

Work

Flat watching either RedTV or stream

Hopefully toasting a victory  8)

2-1 Rooney, Jack

Hayes reportedly out for 4 weeks which is far from ideal but for once I feel we should have adequate cover.  Agree with A_D, as long as it's not PeePaw as he really has done fuck all.

Out

Work

Flat watching either RedTV or stream

Hopefully toasting a victory  8)

2-1 Rooney, Jack

Hayes reportedly out for 4 weeks which is far from ideal but for once I feel we should have adequate cover.  Agree with A_D, as long as it's not PeePaw as he really has done fuck all.

Since the last time we had an away European tie as tough as this one anyway.  ::)

Since the last time we had an away European tie as tough as this one anyway.  ::)

I knew someone would raise that. So, a game a year is acceptable? If McInnes deems him what is required, i'll trust his judgement and happily be proved wrong.  Personally, I am surprised he's still at the club.

Think we will score tonight but also cannot see us keeping a clean sheet either especially if Taylor is playing. No doubt Hayes being out is a set back but hopefully Storie or Burns will be able to fill that gap. Can see Maribor playing in a very similar style to last Thursday and we will need to work hard to break them down.

Oot

Work

Hopefully out of Work in time to watch on Premier Sport

Flat

1-1 and out on pens.