Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

RIP - Norman Goldie

Seems like there is a campaign to get the team to wear one red and one white sock for the final home game, would be a very fitting tribute  :thumbsup:

What a fantastic idea. In fact, if they didn't do it, the club are a shower of shite managed by inhumane arseholes. Even if they did, we are still managed by an inhumane arsehole.

RIP NG.

He was a very shy or private man was my impression. I saw him all the time over many decades but never knew anything about him and wherever he was sitting was never near me. Only ever saw him on the way to or from games. Does anyone know anything about him? Has he family? My first impression was how did we hear he was even deid?

Whoever he was and whatever his story, he loved the Dons and that alone is why I loved seeing him.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/tributes-pour-legend-dons-fan-passes-away/

Story tells about his final few days and where he was etc. Aparently he was unconscious during the 'well match but was told the scores and reacted when told it was 4-1. He died happy!

True Don!! Stand Free Norm! Put in a word with the big man for the Dons next season! :wave:

Very sad.  What was the cause of death? I'm sure I saw him on Union Street only a few days ago.

Didn't he get mugged or something a few years ago?  I seem to recall this.

I found out on the Torry Facebook page, one of his carers posted the news.

He lived in the flats at the bottom of Balnagask Road just up from Halfords for years. He got on the supporters bus with us on wellington road in the 90's. I think he moved into assisted living after he was assaulted a few years back.

He would talk to us on the bus, but mainly about the Dons, never really went into his private life. He did have at least one sister, she was mentioned in the paper. 

I found out on the Torry Facebook page, one of his carers posted the news.

He lived in the flats at the bottom of Balnagask Road just up from Halfords for years. He got on the supporters bus with us on wellington road in the 90's. I think he moved into assisted living after he was assaulted a few years back.

He would talk to us on the bus, but mainly about the Dons, never really went into his private life. He did have at least one sister, she was mentioned in the paper.

You may have been on the same bus as me then. I remember being on Jean's bus (based out of Bridge of Don I think?) and I remember Norman getting on at Wellington Road. I was just a kid but he and my Mum would speak. I remember we saw him one year at the annual switching on of the Christmas lights in toon and he was helping locate my lost sibling. He never gave much away but he was clearly a downright pleasant mannie.

He spent a lot of time just walking around. He must have been lonely I think. I remember having a meal with my Mrs in Union Square and during the course of the meal he walked past several times always in the same direction.

Agree with Rocket that the sock tribute is a must. RIP in peace Norman.  :(

From today's EE

The funeral procession for an iconic Dons fan is to go past Pittodrie to allow supporters to pay their respects.

Norman Goldie passed away last week at the age of 87.

Norman’s funeral has now been arranged for 11.45am on Friday at Aberdeen Crematorium’s West Chapel, with seating for 270 people.

The service will be open to the public but the hearse will also drive past Pittodrie to give fans the chance to say goodbye.

Norman was a popular and well-known figure at both home and away games.

He could often be seen in full Dons gear, including his sandals with one red sock and one white.

His sister Jess Horne said: “That was what he lived for. That was his number one.

“I’m planning to go to the last game of the season and have one red sock and one white sock on for him.

“I had no idea how popular he was.”

Jess is inviting everyone attending the funeral to wear red and white.

She added: “I’m going to be decked out like Norman and carry on the tradition.”

You are correct I got on in Torry with Norman, I would have been late teens when I started going on the bus. My parents were on the same bus also.

You may have been on the same bus as me then. I remember being on Jean's bus (based out of Bridge of Don I think?) and I remember Norman getting on at Wellington Road. I was just a kid but he and my Mum would speak. I remember we saw him one year at the annual switching on of the Christmas lights in toon and he was helping locate my lost sibling. He never gave much away but he was clearly a downright pleasant mannie.

He spent a lot of time just walking around. He must have been lonely I think. I remember having a meal with my Mrs in Union Square and during the course of the meal he walked past several times always in the same direction.

Agree with Rocket that the sock tribute is a must. RIP in peace Norman.  :(