Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing like the Millennium trilogy other than being set in a Scandinavian country - found the characters and plot hard to follow at times

Gonna reread Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows again now - just in time for the film  :thumbsup:

Loved it even more 2nd time around - I forgot how emotional the last few chapters are

Canny wait for the film next Friday  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just finished Duncan Shearer's book. Fairly standard autobiographical fare, although some interesting sections about the squad he and Paterson inherited from Skovdahl, the wages on offer, and the attitudes displayed. Craig Broon should take a look, may be some similarities to the situation he finds himself in!

It still beggars belief that the Paterson farce was allowed to continue so long after admitting his alcoholism.

Almost finished Giles Foden's "Last King of Scotland".  Been a brilliant read so far.  I noted that the film deviates a fair bit from the book, and finished a lot earlier in the story from the book.

For some light relief I am also reading The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files (a xmas present!).  Funny as fuck so far!

• 2 weeks later...

For some light relief I am also reading The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files (a xmas present!).  Funny as fuck so far!

Brilliant.  Very, very funny.  Recommended for anyone who likes The Thick of It!

Now away to read Frankie Boyle's book seeing as it is gathering dust, before either Shearer or McDougall's autobiography.

Just finished Duncan Shearer's book. Fairly standard autobiographical fare, although some interesting sections about the squad he and Paterson inherited from Skovdahl, the wages on offer, and the attitudes displayed. Craig Broon should take a look, may be some similarities to the situation he finds himself in!

It still beggars belief that the Paterson farce was allowed to continue so long after admitting his alcoholism.

Read Paterson's autobiography as well. Remarkable stuff really, quite an entertaining story, he's basically a piss artist and bad gambler who made it good for a few years at Huntly and Caley.

I'm into Neil Cross just now, I read Burial and got a few of his others for Christmas. Holloway falls was a great story.

The search function isnae working so I may be repeating things but, I also got On Fire With Fergie by Stuart Donald, anyone read it? I'm about half way through and of course the actual football story rather than the vehicle he's used is epic. It really is almost unbelievable that that was really us.

Any book that starts a paragraph with "You rake in the buckets for something to eat..." in bold is alright in my book.

I'm into Neil Cross just now, I read Burial and got a few of his others for Christmas. Holloway falls was a great story.

The search function isnae working so I may be repeating things but, I also got On Fire With Fergie by Stuart Donald, anyone read it? I'm about half way through and of course the actual football story rather than the vehicle he's used is epic. It really is almost unbelievable that that was really us.

Any book that starts a paragraph with "You rake in the buckets for something to eat..." in bold is alright in my book.

It does have its own thread somewhere but hey, this is Book Club.

I just finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and thought it was very good. Some of the quick, drug-addled thinking was amusing. Thought the narrative was excellent too.

Currently reading Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland and I'm finding it so-so at the moment. Certainly the one I'm enjoying the least of his books. However, the last one of his I read, I didn't really get into until the last third or so of the book.

My holiday read was the Eddie Turnbull autobiography, "Having a Ball". A great read on how football used to be. Excellent section on his revival of the Dons as manager in the mid 60s. Interesting part about how he coped with George Best when he played for Hibs.

Read Paterson's autobiography as well. Remarkable stuff really, quite an entertaining story, he's basically a piss artist and bad gambler who made it good for a few years at Huntly and Caley.

Read Joe Harper and Duncan Shearer's books since the start of the year.

Thought they were both pretty good with Shearer's being better, but that could be because I was going to Pittodrie during the times he was writing about.

Didn't like his slagging off Billio though. :-[

So Paterson's book is worth a look then aye?

Trying to read An Utterly Impartial History of Britain by John O'Farrell but it's hard work getting the authors left wing viewpoint.

Once finished I will either finish Stalingrad or finally read The Don, never did get round to it before.

My holiday read was the Eddie Turnbull autobiography, "Having a Ball". A great read on how football used to be. Excellent section on his revival of the Dons as manager in the mid 60s. Interesting part about how he coped with George Best when he played for Hibs.

Think I had this one last year, and concur. Excellent read especially if you were going to games during his era.

Turnbull is still held in highest regard by those who played for him.

Another good one is My Father and Other Working Class Heroes by Gary Imlach. A biography of his father's career.

I'm just finished On Fire With Fergie, which was a Christmas read which I quite enjoyed as being a wee bit different from all the biographies on the go.

As the story progresses there is an underlying thread that even within Don's supporting ranks there are always differing perspectives.

Another good one is My Father and Other Working Class Heroes by Gary Imlach. A biography of his father's career.

Excellent book IMO my opinion.

I got a few older other fitba books this christmas, including The Glory Game, Only a Game? and Inverting the Pyramid. The Glory Game is pretty good so far.

Got handed a copy at work last night and started it this morning. :thumbsup:

Got mine handed to me at work also, got until April to get it read before the guy who owns it retires. Anyway he said it was a good read, wasn't much mention of his business ventures outside of football though.