Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

I am reading  A Week in December  by Sebastian Faulks - pretty good so far

Missus, do you read all the books I read or something ???

Pretty different to most of his other stuff isn't it ?

Take it you've finished the millenium trilogy now ? Did you think that the outcome justified over 2000 pages of reading ?

Missus, do you read all the books I read or something ???

Pretty different to most of his other stuff isn't it ?

Take it you've finished the millenium trilogy now ? Did you think that the outcome justified over 2000 pages of reading ?

It is great the way all the characters fit together yeh 

It certainly is tho it is years since I read Birdsong 

I loved the fist book in the Millennium set but wasn't so keen on the second book or third books - I never managed to see the third film at the cinema either 

• 3 weeks later...

The kindle is the iPhone of digital readers.  It's very good at what it does but you are restricted in the format you can use.  There are other digi readers that do the same but you can use any format you like which means you can use a lot more free stuff.  Sony has a very good one but I can't remember what it's called

The 'Kindle' thread on here reminded me I'd mentioned it in this book thread, so a belated thanks alot for your reply tlg!

Reading "Stamping Grounds" by Charlie Connolly. He follows Liechenstein through the 2002 World Cup qualification campaign. I like this type of book, so anticipating good things.

Reading another by same author - 'Attention All Shipping', a tour of the shipping forecast. It's alright, not as good as Stamping Grounds though.

Read Paterson's book also. Agree with all the sentiments on here, a very good read. Also read 'Into the Wild' by Jon Krakauer which I thoroughly enjoyed. Would recommend it. Now in the process of reading 'Pay As You Play: The True Price of Success in the Premier League Era' by Paul Tomkins, Graeme Riley and Gary Fulcher. A very thorough examination of the effect that the increased money has had and pretty interesting so far.

Now in the process of reading 'Pay As You Play: The True Price of Success in the Premier League Era' by Paul Tomkins, Graeme Riley and Gary Fulcher. A very thorough examination of the effect that the increased money has had and pretty interesting so far.

I read this a few weeks back. Some really good stats in there and it's interesting to see the trends of transfer fees showing how exactly success is bought. I found it a little dry at times though and the section on individual clubs a bit repetative. Also, although transfer fees are clearly important, the effect of wages seems to be a bit overlooked, especially given that they have such a bearing on league position (90% I think claimed in 'Why England Lose').

Just read Stephen Fry's latest autobiography and On Fire With Fergie while on holiday.

Stephen Fry's book was certainly interesting, charting his life from finishing school to the start of Blackadder. Certainly lived an interesting life and although and bit pompous and pretentious at times (which he fully acknowledges) quite an engaging and interesting story.

On Fire was great, and imagine would spark some treasured memories for those just a little older than me who were about to watch the rise of afc through the late 70s and early 80s. Loved the complete contempt the kid had for United and Hearts and articulated as well as anything why Dandies the world over hate the Huns (and who would have believed the book stops short of 1988 and that tackle).  Certainly got me in the mood for this weeks Cup Semifinal  :thumbsup:

Have got "On Fire With Fergie" on my pile of "to be read" books at home, so after what you've said in this post, I'll be getting fired into it ASAP (and yes that was a deliberate pun)

Just read Stephen Fry's latest autobiography and On Fire With Fergie while on holiday.

Stephen Fry's book was certainly interesting, charting his life from finishing school to the start of Blackadder. Certainly lived an interesting life and although and bit pompous and pretentious at times (which he fully acknowledges) quite an engaging and interesting story.

On Fire was great, and imagine would spark some treasured memories for those just a little older than me who were about to watch the rise of afc through the late 70s and early 80s. Loved the complete contempt the kid had for United and Hearts and articulated as well as anything why Dandies the world over hate the Huns (and who would have believed the book stops short of 1988 and that tackle).  Certainly got me in the mood for this weeks Cup Semifinal  :thumbsup:

What Stephen Fry book is that? I've currently got 4 in my 'to read' pile and ain't so sure where to start. (On Fire With Fergie is also in that pile)

Just finished "Random" which was a debut novel by Craig Robertson set in the Weeg.

Certainly won't be leaving my business card again in one of these fish bowl free draws for a free meal after reading this.

If you like Mark Billingham then give it a go.

Just started on "American Devil" by Oliver Stark

What Stephen Fry book is that? I've currently got 4 in my 'to read' pile and ain't so sure where to start. (On Fire With Fergie is also in that pile)

Most recent one.

Currently stuck in a rut with books. Haven't been able to get one started properly for a while.  Got Private Eye subscription for xmas and already got wsc delivered every month so by the time I've read that lot I never get round to starting another book esp as I only ever read before I go to sleep at night.  Have made a tentative effort to start reading a book about the History of Medicine which is pretty interesting thus far but suspect it has limited wide spread appeal

Most recent one.

Currently stuck in a rut with books. Haven't been able to get one started properly for a while.  Got Private Eye subscription for xmas and already got wsc delivered every month so by the time I've read that lot I never get round to starting another book esp as I only ever read before I go to sleep at night.  Have made a tentative effort to start reading a book about the History of Medicine which is pretty interesting thus far but suspect it has limited wide spread appeal

I'm the same - I got a Time subscription as a Christmas pressie and the bloody magazine comes every week so by the time I have read it cover to cover I have no time to read my book - I can tell you all about the unrest in Tunisia and Bahrain and how it affects the global ecomony and what dress Michelle Obama wore but I have no idea who most of the characters in my book are  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Reading another by same author - 'Attention All Shipping', a tour of the shipping forecast. It's alright, not as good as Stamping Grounds though.

Only finished this a few weeks ago. Very average.

Now reading

41CH1GP5C0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Interesting in parts, as don't know much about Northern Irish politics, or the Troubles. Don't think this book was the place to start though. It's unbelievably weighted towards Wright, painting him as a political folk hero, and seems to brush over significant parts of why he ended up in prison. Disappointing. Would be interested to read other books on the Troubles though, if anyone has any recommendations.

Cancun is great!  ;)

Not this year David....the missus doesn't like flights over about five hours, so back to Gran Canaria this year.

Matters not one jot to me....sun, beer, topless young girls.....paradise for an auld fucker like me ;)

• 2 months later...

I downloaded one Rich Hall book for my Kindle and ended up reading all three:

Rich Hall: Things Snowball - excellent read, with a chapter devoted to Aberdeen

Rich Hall: Magnificent Bastards - not quite as good as Things Snowball but still very good

Otis Lee Crenshaw: I Blame Society - very well written book about Rich Hall's alter ego, and his supposed true life up bringing in the deep south

All three are worth a read but I'd start with "Things Snowball" if you're interested.

• 1 month later...

Recently read 'Racing Through the Dark' by Scottish cyclist David Millar and 'The Psychopath Test' by John Ronson. Both worth a read.

Millar's book is the best first-hand insight I've seen revealing the extent of drugs use in the Tour de France, the whole culture seems/seemed geared towards cheating. The latter is an easy read and interesting even for someone like myself as a complete layman on the subject.

Must have read at least a dozen books since I posted on this thread last, but none really that worthy of mention other than "Growing Up Bin Laden" by Jean Sasson with Najwa & Omar Bin Laden. Interesting insight into ow he appeared to change from a relatively normal, wealthy Saudi into the leader of Al-Qaeda.

Currently reading "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, and despite being 350 pages into it, am still not sure whether I'm actually enjoying it or not