Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Should we stay or should we go?

http://aberdeen.stv.tv/articles/300261-should-aberdeen-fc-leave-pittodrie-have-you-say-in-our-poll/

POLL: Should Aberdeen FC stick or twist at Pittodrie?

By Neil Drysdale on Wednesday 19 November 2014

Aberdeen FC has become synonymous with Pittodrie in the last 30 to 40 years.

Many fans who turn up to watch the Dons are still in thrall to the memory of Alex Ferguson's team becoming the European Cup Winners in 1983.

But recently there have been suggestions - both in the boardroom and among supporters - of the club moving to a new base.

In the past 24 hours, Highland League club Cove Rangers confirmed they will leave Allan Park.

So the question is whether Aberdeen fans believe their club should pursue a similar path.

Im a stay

I'm a

'Lets actually think about the whole thing properly, weigh up the initial and long term costs of both options, produce a detailed report and then put our a poll to the fans

rather than turning this into another thing to split the fans

Stop being sensible

Emotionally, i'm definitely a stay, but it's a black hole for money at the mo. We missed a trick by not buying the old gas works site behind the SS (shows how long its been since i've been :( ) which would have been perfect for us.  Currently, I can't see Aberdeen providing sufficient infrastructure wherever we end up so remaining is perfectly logical.  I do think Tom is right, proper consultation does need to be had to ensure we don't ostracise a majority of the support all in the name of modernisation. It needs to be honest though, if such a thing is possible.

Lets face it, we don't need a 20K stadium, 15-18 would be more than sufficient. The biggest problem as far as I can see is Pittodrie Street, whether club would be able to provide another route before closing it off I highly doubt.  But importantly, despite being a very costly exercise it would allow the club to breathe a little.  Obviously it does depend what is below the ground there...

Emotionally, i'm definitely a stay, but it's a black hole for money at the mo. We missed a trick by not buying the old gas works site behind the SS (shows how long its been since i've been :( ) which would have been perfect for us.  Currently, I can't see Aberdeen providing sufficient infrastructure wherever we end up so remaining is perfectly logical.  I do think Tom is right, proper consultation does need to be had to ensure we don't ostracise a majority of the support all in the name of modernisation. It needs to be honest though, if such a thing is possible.

Lets face it, we don't need a 20K stadium, 15-18 would be more than sufficient. The biggest problem as far as I can see is Pittodrie Street, whether club would be able to provide another route before closing it off I highly doubt.  But importantly, despite being a very costly exercise it would allow the club to breathe a little.  Obviously it does depend what is below the ground there...

I definitely think Aberdeen would need at least an 18k stadium. In a good year we would be looking at getting >15k against Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers, Celtic and maybe Hibs and Dundee.

I definitely think Aberdeen would need at least an 18k stadium. In a good year we would be looking at getting >15k against Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers, Celtic and maybe Hibs and Dundee.

Hence why I was saying moving the road would allow the club to breathe / develop further. Currently, I don't think we need more than that.

Pittodrie street isnt the only problem. The residents of Pittodrie Place and The Golf club will also have a big say in any attempts to build a modern main stand with the same capacity as the current one plus all the relevant admin facilities.

Daylighting & 'Overlooking issues', emergency & service vehicle access not just to the stadium but to the neighbouring buildings, and of course needing to find a place for the car-parking spaces lost in the works all spring to mind.

The club didnt just miss a trick not buying the gas works, they also missed a trick not buying the land behind the merkland where the flats now are (and used to be a timber yard I think).

However hindsight is a wonderful thing and back in the early 90s had the club announced they were spending the playing budget on extra land around the stadium just incase they had the desire to build another RDS or 2 I dont think it would have gone down very well with the fans. Especially given they were now in debt for the RDS and the Main stand was in such a state.

Mind you it might have stopped Aitken spending £850k on Brian O Neil, or Miller spending £300k on Nigel pepper and £750k+ Billy Dodds on Robbie Winters......we probably would have missed out on Billy Dodds, Paul Bernard, John Inglis & Peter Hetherston too given they combined cost £2,350,000.

With regards to the 5 years on the Main stand comment I personally take that as meaning 'we have 5 years before it starts costing us serious money to keep open'

I can't see us not moving now truth be told.  As i understand it (and feel free to correct me if I am mistaken) the council is prepared to chip in to a new build and that with the dosh from the sale of pittodrie we move to a new ground without really spending anything.  To redevelop pittodrie would only cost us money, and a fair old whack of it too.  There is just no way the board will sanction putting us back into debt just as we finally remove that very sizeable shackle from the club, especially as there is such an appealing alternative. 

Pittodrie street isnt the only problem. The residents of Pittodrie Place and The Golf club will also have a big say in any attempts to build a modern main stand with the same capacity as the current one plus all the relevant admin facilities.

Daylighting & 'Overlooking issues', emergency & service vehicle access not just to the stadium but to the neighbouring buildings, and of course needing to find a place for the car-parking spaces lost in the works all spring to mind.

The club didnt just miss a trick not buying the gas works, they also missed a trick not buying the land behind the merkland where the flats now are (and used to be a timber yard I think).

However hindsight is a wonderful thing and back in the early 90s had the club announced they were spending the playing budget on extra land around the stadium just incase they had the desire to build another RDS or 2 I dont think it would have gone down very well with the fans. Especially given they were now in debt for the RDS and the Main stand was in such a state.

Mind you it might have stopped Aitken spending £850k on Brian O Neil, or Miller spending £300k on Nigel pepper and £750k+ Billy Dodds on Robbie Winters......we probably would have missed out on Billy Dodds, Paul Bernard, John Inglis & Peter Hetherston too given they combined cost £2,350,000.

With regards to the 5 years on the Main stand comment I personally take that as meaning 'we have 5 years before it starts costing us serious money to keep open'

I'll reply in full later, but as I said, we've overcome most of this on a scheme which featured on the main page of the BD on Tuesday.  The footprint isn't too dissimilar and only 10m away from residential units (not our design).  But again, this would ideally lead to the temporary re-routing of Pittodrie street, depending on what was below it.

Indeed it is. 20K seater stadium, first phase being circa 11K (the west stand - permanent) being built with 3 temporary stands being utilised until promotion is achieved.

stadium-plans-one-4-3-pic184-1696976.jpg

Fully appreciate that Tom.  This design has been tested in the event of an emergency in different scenarios. Quite certain the plans are out in public domain now, or at least they will be in the forthcoming week or so.

Will have a scan through that link to see what the club are up against.