Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Stadium Update from RedWeb

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the Dons make a contribution to the cost?

The club and council will each contribute a minimum of £8m each.

The remainder will be raised from supporting developments, such as a hotel and conference facilities, plus branding of the actual name of the stadium.

The Dons and council will also contribute £300,000 each to carry out a detailed feasibility study if they get the all clear on December 19.

:wave:

Guest fatshaft

Fair do's - must have got MY info fae Charlie Allan ;)

I'm beginning to understand what it feels like to be a trump objector - us kings links proponents have been marginalised to the extent that our "mobile sand dune landscape" is a pint of tennents lager.

seriously though, in the bar last night I didn't speak to 1 person supportive of the idea of cove.

Rest assured though I will go back there tonight and probably tomoro to canvass opinion to make sure, and if it means going on Sunday to make double sure of opinion I will - Ach, ye got me - I'm just interested in pints  ::)

Yes but Jag, which bar were you in?  You can't conduct a straw poll of those from the Linksfield area, or indeed those who will find themselves considerably further from Cove than they are from the links, and expect a result that isn't biased towards the links.

Wherever the new stadium goes, some will be further away and some will be nearer, some will have more difficuties with the likes of problems caused by the AECC event lasdt night, and some will have less. That argument doesn't actually wash.

You have to look at overall, and overall there will be more room for better facilities, and better access at Cove than at the Links. You're biggest moan has been about pubs, without doubt there will be new pubs surrounding the venue, businessmen aren't stupid, they know when they can make a few quid, and when the council talk of "amneities" don't you think that pubs will be one of them?

Despite your "fuck Bolton" attitude, if you took any time to consider anything past the end of your nose, then you'd see the same arguments still going on there 10 years after it opened as we're seeing here, so it's highly relevant. The guys who used to walk to Burnden generally hate the Reebok. Why? Because now they can't walk it anymore and spill out of their local at 2.55 to get into the ground. But guess what, there are two brand new pubs built right beside the ground, as well as those that were already in the area, their only complaint realy is that they have been inconvenienced. Of course just as many, maybe more are now better off, especially those from further afield who drive, who can get right up to the ground to park.

Yes but Jag, which bar were you in?  You can't conduct a straw poll of those from the Linksfield area, or indeed those who will find themselves considerably further from Cove than they are from the links, and expect a result that isn't biased towards the links.

Wherever the new stadium goes, some will be further away and some will be nearer, some will have more difficuties with the likes of problems caused by the AECC event lasdt night, and some will have less. That argument doesn't actually wash.

You have to look at overall, and overall there will be more room for better facilities, and better access at Cove than at the Links. You're biggest moan has been about pubs, without doubt there will be new pubs surrounding the venue, businessmen aren't stupid, they know when they can make a few quid, and when the council talk of "amneities" don't you think that pubs will be one of them?

Despite your "fuck Bolton" attitude, if you took any time to consider anything past the end of your nose, then you'd see the same arguments still going on there 10 years after it opened as we're seeing here, so it's highly relevant. The guys who used to walk to Burnden generally hate the Reebok. Why? Because now they can't walk it anymore and spill out of their local at 2.55 to get into the ground. But guess what, there are two brand new pubs built right beside the ground, as well as those that were already in the area, their only complaint realy is that they have been inconvenienced. Of course just as many, maybe more are now better off, especially those from further afield who drive, who can get right up to the ground to park.

Aye, piss right aff wi yer "common sense" malarky! I'm wi' Jager on this one. One of the highlights of Pittodrie is spillin oot of the Pitt Bar at 2.57 and still makin it intime for the kickoff. And then leavin the match and arrivin back tae the pitt just intime tae see the highlights of Eugene Dadi leading his flock of sheep along the pittodrie pitch after humpin Ra Shellick!

I'm sure there will be new bars at the Cove site. But will they accomodate all the reprobates that the Pitt, Bobbin and Broadhill bars accept with open arms? Doubt it! The reprobates will get banned for fear of causing a bit of damage to the shiny new barstools and winkin at the shiny new barmaids.

Aye, not everybody has to agree with everybody else min! That's fit a discussion forum is for. I'm all for progress and all that. And I'm all for us relocating if need be. But Cove????? Better be a new train station in Cove, I tell ya. Can ye imagine Grumpian Transport shiftin several thousand fans fae Bridge Street tae Cove? Nah, didnae think so. The football club NEEDS to be within walkable distance of the city's main transport hubs, ie the bus and train stations. Pittodrie is kinda on the very edge of "reasonable walking distance" fae the bus and train stations. Cove is NOT! I refuse to believe that there is no other option at the beach. There's new developments happening all the time at the beach! Surely there's room somewhere for the city's MAIN football club ... a stadium that a tenth of the city's population visit every fortnight!! Surely!!!

Even Dyce would be better served than Cove. At least Dyce has a rail link! And there's plenty of space in Dyce to build a stadium!

Guest fatshaft

My biggest concern isn't pubs - fuck sake.

A primary concern is to do with the selloff of ALL concrete assets - and being left with nothing except contracts - but this will remove the debt burden.

Other concerns, what if the council want to have a gig on at the new stadium because they'll make more money from that - Robbie Williams at Hampden anyone?

If you think traffic is bad now - just wait until all the new hooses are built  at porty.

Yes I'll be inconvenienced if it moves to cove - but I'll be inconvenienced more if our club goes down the pan because we can't get an overdraft because we own NOTHING to back it up.  Aye, sure - run it as a profit making company - businesses can still hit problems, especially football.

I should probably also mention that in the past year I have had offers in on three houses in cove but have been unsuccessfull and am still actively looking for a house in cove... but then you don't know me and just assume all i think aboot is drinkin up the pitt bar

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but aren't we putting up £8m towards the cost? Therefore we will own a substantial part, plus I presume we will be part financing another portion through new debt?

Guest fatshaft

Aye, not everybody has to agree with everybody else min! That's fit a discussion forum is for. I'm all for progress and all that. And I'm all for us relocating if need be. But Cove????? Better be a new train station in Cove, I tell ya. Can ye imagine Grumpian Transport shiftin several thousand fans fae Bridge Street tae Cove? Nah, didnae think so. The football club NEEDS to be within walkable distance of the city's main transport hubs, ie the bus and train stations. Pittodrie is kinda on the very edge of "reasonable walking distance" fae the bus and train stations. Cove is NOT! I refuse to believe that there is no other option at the beach. There's new developments happening all the time at the beach! Surely there's room somewhere for the city's MAIN football club ... a stadium that a tenth of the city's population visit every fortnight!! Surely!!!

Even Dyce would be better served than Cove. At least Dyce has a rail link! And there's plenty of space in Dyce to build a stadium!

Dyce would be better for sure, although would make it tough for the away coaches. BTW, it's less than 1/20th of the city's population, and I would guess that at least 50% of the crowd are non-city based anyway, many of whom come from the north.

We're putting up £8m. But we're hoping to net £20m from the sale of Pittodrie. Excuse me, but last time I checked, Pittodrie was valued at around £7m. Where the fuck is this huge valuation coming from? Is that how much Stewart Milne Group is willing to pay the club for the land that Pittodrie is on just now? (no, I'm not accusing Milne of moving the club so he can build houses. I've actually never believed that nugget of theory for a minute. If he wanted Pittodrie's ground, he would've moved us by now)

when's the alleged WPR going to be finished?

when's the stadium alleged to be finished?

so this would remove all traffic from the north from entering the city, alleviate congestion in an urban area every other saturday, allow for more effective policing as there are fewer little lanes, allow for better training facilities so hopefully the club can progress in producing talent and become a better selling club and hence operate in a profit, clear all current debt (and it's not just the land - how many people would be willing to pay ten quid for a square foot of 'toddrie turf? or a brick?), blah blah.

Stay where we are, I don't want to use any form of transport other than walking unless a monorail is built like in the Simpsons.  Anyone got Lyle Langley's phone number??

The site that's chosen will be the one that makes best financial sense, nothing more, nothing less.

And therein lies your answer. The financial sense from a football point of view requires paying punters to be able to reach said stadium. If they cannae reach it, the money ain't gonna magically float fae their pockets into the coffers of said stadium ... or Arena as they are calling it.

Guest fatshaft

Aye but the WPR should be finished by the time the stadium is ready.  Thats bound to be one of the main reasons they are looking at Cove.

I would think almost certainly. Then even those from the North wil get there quicker than they get to Todders.

Dyce would be better for sure, although would make it tough for the away coaches. BTW, it's less than 1/20th of the city's population, and I would guess that at least 50% of the crowd are non-city based anyway, many of whom come from the north.

50% of the crowd non city folk ?

I cannot believe someone has mentioned Dyce as a venue for any new stadium. Travelling out that road is a nightmare at the best of times, events at any stadium out there would make it even more of a nightmare.

Since the topic of a new stadium came up I have always mentioned Cove as a prime site. No more parking nightmares, space for development and if they can get their fingers out and get a station in Cove then it could be fantastic.

I really don't think we will lose 1000s of folk by moving to Cove.  The current fan base consists of pretty hard core fans most weeks as everyone else has was scared off by Miller, Aitken, Miller, Ebbe and Pele.  These fans in the main will still go to Cove.  There may be a handful of stubborn old fools who refuse to go, but this handful will be replaced by another handful of folk attracted by decent facilities.

The only thing that will change the numbers coming through the gate is the product on the park.

Rebuilding Pittodrie is not viable. Clearly afc and the council think Cove has more  potential for developing as many revenue streams as possible, and if that is the case then I'll go with that.

This proposal will be passed next week.  Then we can see what the detailed study comes up with

Clearly afc and the council think Cove has more  potential for developing as many revenue streams as possible, and if that is the case then I'll go with that.

That's just a red herring.

Where are AFC going to get more cash to build more 'things' for the other revenue streams after ploughing all their money into the stadium and clearing the debt?

presumably facilities will be incorporated into the development that afc can utilise to increase revenue

First off don't presume anything.  Unless it's written in stone that AFC will have facilities there to increase revenue then I'd say we'll get the use of it on match days and whenever we're training.  Any other time it'll be the Council's stadium and they'll be looking to coin it in.

Anyway, what would these other revenue streams be?  People keep posting things like "gyms, hotels, shops, etc" but who exactly is going to run a hotel there?

The Council?  ???

AFC?  ???

If anything they may have office space or units within the stadium to rent out or perhaps conference rooms you could hire for meetings or courses but do you honestly think AFC would see any of that money?