Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Stadium Update from RedWeb

Main Stand only has 4,000 seats.

Why not?  For the reasons I put in my first post in this thread - we'd need to become a selling club.  Regardless of the interest on the loans, we've still been making a loss year after year for the last decade.  To become a selling club we'd need a shiny fancy new youth academy to produce top players.  Now if that is being included in the new stadium plans then great, it's just I haven't read anything about that yet.  Like I say, it seems a bit short-sighted.

When did we become a buying club?

No, you just seem to have lost your visionary Gregory's and put on your tight-fisted Aberdonian cunt's glasses back on! ;)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no mention of parking getting built at the new stadium so how would parking improve.

The is no mention of improved public transport links - except a possible link to the park-and-rides.

The "football academy" part doesn't actually mention brick and mortar.

No mention of hotels, gyms, etc - all this is speculation.

I can assure you that car parking and improved transport lonks is part of the proposal.

The hotel is also part of the stadium.

Just because these things are not mentioned in the initial press release does not mean they have not been provided for.

Any change or move will always meet with resistence.  Nobody wants to move but circumstances dictate we have to and accepted that a few years ago when Keith Wyness did an open night about relocating when Kingswells was the preferred option.

Still not sure Cove is the best area but in our state don't think we can be too choosy when it may just be the council and others saving the future of AFC.

When did we become a buying club?

No, you just seem to have lost your visionary Gregory's and put on your tight-fisted Aberdonian cunt's glasses back on! ;)

When did we last sell a player for any decent money?

Tight-fisted bloo_toon cunt if you don't mind. ;)

Is it a detailed planning application that has been submitted or simply an outline application?  I'm thinking given the lack of details that it is the latter?

EDIT:

Just checked and it is neither.

Therefore it will be months and months before this sees the light of day.  We'll be lucky if a planning application is in by this time next year.

Doesn't matter where we move to, there is always going to be some folk unhappy.  Staying in the beach area would have met some sort of resistance too.  As a golfer, I certainly wouldn't have been happy if the Kings Links was to be removed, although as someone said it was perhaps the driving range and cricket pitch that were in doubt.  And everybody knows cricket is not a sport!

Anyway, I am prepared to see exactly what the plans are including transport "lonks".  Slating it before any real plans are in place is a bit foolish IMHO.

Guest fatshaft

Am I fuck?!?!?

Same avatar, and picked up on my pub related quotes at the same time on both forums, quoted and repled there, copied it over to here. Guilty.

Guest fatshaft

bullshit... and fit wid I be guilty of?

being the same person.

RealFan[/b]' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:40 PM' post='196213']

"The majority of fans won't be worried about a pint, there's more to going to the match than going to the pub. "

:hysterical:

Saw this on AFC chat - just had to give another  :lolabove:

Four minutes apart, same avatar, same ott response to my opinion. Same guy.

Guest fatshaft

ha ha ha - get a life!

Got one thanks, I don't go trolling the forums to cross post something from elsewhere (well this apart, but then that's to prove the point), you did that with my post on AFC Chat, why I don't know, it obviously gave you some kicks?

PROPOSAL FOR STADIUM TWO

12:00 - 13 December 2007

A Second stadium could be built beside the new £53 million home of the Dons.

Sources close to the project revealed plans for a smaller football ground close to the proposed 22,000-seater arena near Cove.

It is understood the second stadium would have 3,000 seats and be used by local clubs like Cove Rangers.

The Highland League team had already signalled its intention to build a new stadium before the preferred location for the community arena - a joint project by the football club and city council - was exclusively revealed in the Evening Express yesterday.

A source said today: "There is a sketch of a smaller stadium alongside the £53 million community facility.

"At this stage it is not clear if it will be part of the planning application for now, or if another application will be lodged at a later stage."

Another source said: "The community stadium will need to cater for as many sporting organisations as possible, but of course you cannot have a small team playing in front of more than 20,000 empty seats."

He said the level of involvement Cove Rangers might have was so far "undetermined".

"Whether they incorporate their existing plans into these is another matter," he added.

Cove Rangers chairman Keith Moorhouse said it was still his club's intention to build a 5,000-seater facility at Calder Park which is close to the community arena site.

But he added: "If the community development is going to be so close to our site then I would have to keep our options open."

The £53 million plan at Loirston Loch also includes a football academy, hotel and conference facilities.

Fans have given the plan a mixed reaction.

George Abel, 47, chairman of Ullevi Dons, Laurencekirk, said: "The new site could be fine but I would prefer the Dons to stay where they are."

George Duncan, 44, AFC Supporters Trust chairman, of Inverurie, said: "I would have preferred the site to have been at Kings Links, but you have to look past that and see it as a positive thing for the club."

The consultant behind the project, former Coventry City managing director Paul Fletcher, believes that if approved, it will be one of the most exciting developments to hit Aberdeen.

He already has an impressive record of involvement in other high-profile schemes, including masterminding the building of the Alfred McAlpine Stadium - voted Building of the Year in 1995.

Mr Fletcher also spent two years working on the Reebok Stadium in Bolton before working on London's controversial new Wembley Stadium. He resigned after two years as he felt it was "too costly" and "too late".

For the last six years he has worked on Coventry's Ricoh Arena

"A lot of clubs redevelop their existing stadia but this is not possible at Pittodrie," Mr Fletcher said.

"A fantastic city like Aberdeen needs a fantastic new facility.

"It is not just for the team, it is for the community.

"Huddersfield has a golf range, health and fitness club and conference and banqueting facilities for example."

He said Cove was a beautiful area on the southern approach to Aberdeen and a stadium would be "a landmark building for the city".

He added: "It would make a statement that Aberdeen is buoyant, business is good and it's building for the future."

There would be no regrets from Aberdonians when stars like Rod Stewart lined up to perform, he added.

On the football front the stadium guru said: "Can the Dons stay in European football without an up-to-date stadium?

"Aberdeen has a responsibility for this project. Its football club carries its name."

we won't see the plans until after the club has spent 300,000 on a feasibility study, then spent prob approaching a million or architects.

Will it get past 19 Dec, probably - that won't cost the council anything.  Will it get further, I can't say - but I hope we're not pissing money down the drain.  Ach - I've said my tuppence worth now... I'm getting back to my retail park, sky tv life where I go everywhere in my car and sit like a zombie eating convenience food and watching reality television and getting as many lonks as I can, whenever I can.   ::)   :wave:

I thought it said that if given the go ahead next wed BOTH the council and AFC would put in £300,000 towards the feasability study.

It's all very well saying that we could redevelop Pittodrie but my understanding was that this was always a total non-starter given our debt, the fact that the club allowed the gas works and timber yard to be bought up and built on over the years and also due to uefa, fifa and IRB regulations regarding the size of the pitch and run-off areas.

Pittodrie is a dump and redveloping it would just no be worth our while so as far as I'm concerned we HAVE to move to a new stadium, preferably in partnership with council, thus splitting the liabilities and given us a chance to restructure our finances from the mess of the last 20years.

The only real question for me is where.

Coming from Glasgow/Banchory the travelling issue doesn't really affect me and it seems that many, if not all of the oppostion to the Cove idea is based on personal interest and prejudices rather than on what will be best for the club.  Moaning about Cove because you can't go to the Pittodrie Bar, Bobbin or the Broadhill is just crazy IMHO

There are pros and cons to both a stadium at the Kings Links or Cove and in the end I presume the decision has been made due to the potential of a more extensive development and thus larger finacial rewards by building "out of town".

I don't think a new stadium will suddenly add 3-4,000 on to our crowds, but equally I can't see it knocking any off either.  Falkirk essentially sell out there ground every week and it is in Grangemouth. Caley get pretty reasonable crowds and there is just about in the Sea. 

As I believe we need to move I'm delighted at the announcement this week and take it as the most positive thing to come out of pittodrie in some time.  Having said that, I'll believe it when I see the first brick going down.

I thought it said that if given the go ahead next wed BOTH the council and AFC would put in £300,000 towards the feasability study.

It's all very well saying that we could redevelop Pittodrie but my understanding was that this was always a total non-starter given our debt, the fact that the club allowed the gas works and timber yard to be bought up and built on over the years and also due to uefa, fifa and IRB regulations regarding the size of the pitch and run-off areas.

Pittodrie is a dump and redveloping it would just no be worth our while so as far as I'm concerned we HAVE to move to a new stadium, preferably in partnership with council, thus splitting the liabilities and given us a chance to restructure our finances from the mess of the last 20years.

The only real question for me is where.

Coming from Glasgow/Banchory the travelling issue doesn't really affect me and it seems that many, if not all of the oppostion to the Cove idea is based on personal interest and prejudices rather than on what will be best for the club.  Moaning about Cove because you can't go to the Pittodrie Bar, Bobbin or the Broadhill is just crazy IMHO

There are pros and cons to both a stadium at the Kings Links or Cove and in the end I presume the decision has been made due to the potential of a more extensive development and thus larger finacial rewards by building "out of town".

I don't think a new stadium will suddenly add 3-4,000 on to our crowds, but equally I can't see it knocking any off either.  Falkirk essentially sell out there ground every week and it is in Grangemouth. Caley get pretty reasonable crowds and there is just about in the Sea. 

As I believe we need to move I'm delighted at the announcement this week and take it as the most positive thing to come out of pittodrie in some time.  Having said that, I'll believe it when I see the first brick going down.

I almost believed you there! :rofl:

Guest fatshaft

:clap: :clap: