Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Stadium Update from RedWeb

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFC will actually get none of the money - stadium assets have now been divided off into a holding company ("Talltray ltd") to help push through a new stadium development.

Yeah I know that, point I was making is that we can wave bye-bye to all of it forever.

Rail links, monorails, undergrounds, trams, hotels, shops, gyms, blah, blah, blah..... my arse.  I fully agree with Jager and his views that nothing other than a stadium will be built.

Fair enough CAPS, but i disagree. 

There are huge plans for up that neck of the woods - whilst we all know what can happen with planning in Aberdeen, if the stadium gets the go ahead these plans being approved will be a formality IMO. 

I think they should build it in Union Terrace Gardens, that area needs to be upgraded, and pubs and public transport are plentifull in the City Centre.

Another great idea I had was to build an 'offshore' stadium, a bit like that island in Dubai where all the wealthy folk have private beaches.  Except the 'Offshore Pittodrie' development would be shaped like a sheep, not a palm tree.

Cant see any problems with planning permission now we've got rid of that Ford bloke from the cooncill.

We can do that anyway, irrespective of the wheres, whos and hows of the matter.

I have no problem with that at all, as long, as has been said, the club is run on a no/serviceable debt policy from then on.

Well if the club, sorry Stewart Milne and AAM, are ready to chuck all that money away on a whim, they (Stewart Milne and AAM) could demolish and re-build the main stand for around £6m.

OK, where does the 6 mill come from? That and the lost income from a lower capacity stadium whilst it's built.

Like I say, if they're happy to chuck £5m away down the drain in the terms I mentioned in a previous post, they should be prepared to dip into their own pockets to pay for a new stand and get us out of the mess that they created in the first place.

With an average attendance of 12,000 anyway, there wont be that much lost income other than when Rangers come calling.

Always said just turn the current Pittodrie 45degrees, build a new stand inplace of the Main stand, only build it so it actually goes OVER Pittodrie Street. Can we demolish that old gas works? Get something in there! Get rid of the shitey carpark and make the opposition fans WALK to the ground, like we have to do against Hibs.

Like I say, if they're happy to chuck £5m away down the drain in the terms I mentioned in a previous post, they should be prepared to dip into their own pockets to pay for a new stand and get us out of the mess that they created in the first place.

With an average attendance of 12,000 anyway, there wont be that much lost income other than when Rangers come calling.

And Celtic and the cream of the second tier of Europe's teams.  ;)

Meanwhile, back in reality, the money will be used to (in part) pay for the new stadium.  This argument about directors putting hands in pockets, however morally right it may be, just ain't ever going to happen.

Always said just turn the current Pittodrie 45degrees, build a new stand inplace of the Main stand, only build it so it actually goes OVER Pittodrie Street. Can we demolish that old gas works? Get something in there! Get rid of the shitey carpark and make the opposition fans WALK to the ground, like we have to do against Hibs.

Basically knock Pittodrie down and build whole new stadium in its place?  We don't have the cash for this (and would have to play in Dundee for a year or two whilst work ongoing) and building a stadium elsewhere and selling the stadium is the only answer.

Guest fatshaft

How's the travel time to Cove from Dusseldorf anyway?

It's not a case of accepting second best. The beach area as a site does fuck all for current capacity and whatever you say parking is a nightmare on a match day. If the new stadium magically puts 5000 on the gate each week then it'll only be worse.

Cove is also just as likely to be more accessible for other parts of the city, what difference does it make going to Cove than Linksfield for these kids you expect to travel there on their own? Are you expecting all the street urchins to be walking there with kit on their back for using the facilities?

Mum drives them most places and of course Kincorth and Cove does have kids living there you know  :thumbsup:

In a city that currently worships the the car, Cove is no problem at all.

Get it built and at the same time rewrite the constitution of the club, stating that debt is not allowed.

Vive la change.

Exactly Bilbo, it's the same nonsense you hear and read every time a club proposes a new stadium that isn't in the footprint of the old one. The only fans that complain about the Ricoh, Reebok, Kingston Stadium or Emirates, are those that now have further to travel, but for every fan that has further to go, another fan will be nearer, and ALL of these (pand Cove) will have better parking, so more people can actually go there easily, which can only increase the numbers attending.

Yes it would be nice to still be at the traditional spot, but even at the beach, it's not going to be in the Pittodrie footprint, so it won't really be "Pittodrie" will it? So given that, the " traditional" arguement goes out the window.

Guest fatshaft

Parking is a nightmare.... at Pittodrie.

But we're talking about doing away with a golf course and the last time I looked you couldn't fit 18 holes inside a football stadium.

Build a big fuck off car park alongside the stadium - job done.

Woolies, MFI & Virgin Cinemas have all managed to do so down the beach so I'm guessing someone with the technical nous to build a stadium, might manage to steam roll a couple acres of tarmac.

It's just the driving range and first holes that are going on the plans isn;t it? There is no way whatsoever that they will get away with bulldozering a number of holes just to put car parks there. No doubt there will be some, but you'll still have the same issues as now, Pittodrie already has a car park remember.

And Celtic and the cream of the second tier of Europe's teams.  ;)

Meanwhile, back in reality, the money will be used to (in part) pay for the new stadium.  This argument about directors putting hands in pockets, however morally right it may be, just ain't ever going to happen.

Well at the risk of being facetious, we only ever sell 17,000 tickets for Celtic games these days.

No, it isn't going to happen and that's the sad fact.  But another thing that wont happen is running a club on a no/serviceable debt policy.  If this is the way we are going ahead then we can prepare for some pretty bleak times on the football pitch.

Guest fatshaft

I just think removing the club from the public eye is a bad move and if they're wanting a community stadium then it should be placed slap bang in the middle of it.

I couldn't give a toss if it's down at the beach per se but I still think it should be in town somewhere.

There's just nothing that beats the buzz of a big game when you're walking through town, all heading in the same direction.  You can't see the stadium then you turn the corner and BANG! there it is.

That'll be lost if everyone is heading out of town, via various routes stuck in the back of a car.

ST, most people never see Pittodrie, because it's at the beach, and unless you're heading down there may never see it. However the "Aberdeen Arena" would be sited prominently just off the A90, impossible to miss, and just about everyone at some point heads south of the city. 

YTou do realise that all of those who currently head "in the same direction" (I would have thought from West, North & South myself, but whatever) to Todders, will also now have to head in the same direction to Cove?

Okay, so you might be driving now, but the residents of Kincorth and Cove will be walking. It's just a different set of walkers from now.

The only fans that complain about the Ricoh, Reebok, Kingston Stadium or Emirates, are those that now have further to travel

Nah dinnae really agree wi' that mate. I know most of my mates are opposed to this. And I know most of my mates normally go past Cove to get to Pittodrie anyway!

Stickin the new stadium out in some industrial belt is gonna suck cos it's gonna be a lifeless shell wi' nae character. Basically, it's gonna be another Almondvale. Sure, the Emirates Stadium is filling faster than they can say "Highbury?". But we're nae Arsenal! We're lowly Aberdeen. I struggle to believe that we are putting 4/5000 fans off coming to the matches for the pure reason that parking is tricky! Even before traffic restrictions were enforced all over the city, our core attendance has always been around the 11-13,000 mark for the past three decades. We have little fluctuations such as European ties, fan-get-fan promos and the likes. But even when we were ruling Scotland and planting the seeds for Scottish clubs in Europe, our attendances weren't much more than they are now. And back then, it was friggin easy to park yer car near Pittodrie. I mind the bank of cars that used to park half way up the Broad Hill. Anywhere you could find a space, you'd park. Wardens weren't an issue back then.

Shovin a stadium in the middle of an industrialised area (that's where I'm assuming it's gonna go) is gonna put the boozers and the walkers off. You'd be surprised how many thousands of Aberdeen fans hike it to the games! Probably more than make it there by car. Unless the city make it a free or discounted ride service (whether by train or bus, who cares) to Cove, there'll be a sharp decrease in the number of regular walkers going to Aberdeen matches.

Why not?

And we wouldn't get 17k into Pittodrie without the main stand. Would we? ???

Main Stand only has 4,000 seats.

Why not?  For the reasons I put in my first post in this thread - we'd need to become a selling club.  Regardless of the interest on the loans, we've still been making a loss year after year for the last decade.  To become a selling club we'd need a shiny fancy new youth academy to produce top players.  Now if that is being included in the new stadium plans then great, it's just I haven't read anything about that yet.  Like I say, it seems a bit short-sighted.

Guest fatshaft

Nah dinnae really agree wi' that mate. I know most of my mates are opposed to this. And I know most of my mates normally go past Cove to get to Pittodrie anyway!

Stickin the new stadium out in some industrial belt is gonna suck cos it's gonna be a lifeless shell wi' nae character. Basically, it's gonna be another Almondvale. Sure, the Emirates Stadium is filling faster than they can say "Highbury?". But we're nae Arsenal! We're lowly Aberdeen. I struggle to believe that we are putting 4/5000 fans off coming to the matches for the pure reason that parking is tricky! Even before traffic restrictions were enforced all over the city, our core attendance has always been around the 11-13,000 mark for the past three decades. We have little fluctuations such as European ties, fan-get-fan promos and the likes. But even when we were ruling Scotland and planting the seeds for Scottish clubs in Europe, our attendances weren't much more than they are now. And back then, it was friggin easy to park yer car near Pittodrie. I mind the bank of cars that used to park half way up the Broad Hill. Anywhere you could find a space, you'd park. Wardens weren't an issue back then.

Shovin a stadium in the middle of an industrialised area (that's where I'm assuming it's gonna go) is gonna put the boozers and the walkers off. You'd be surprised how many thousands of Aberdeen fans hike it to the games! Probably more than make it there by car. Unless the city make it a free or discounted ride service (whether by train or bus, who cares) to Cove, there'll be a sharp decrease in the number of regular walkers going to Aberdeen matches.

Fair enough Reekie, seriously I think they'll change their tune when it's built though. There are pros and cons to both sites, and neither bothers me one way or the other, but I'm conscious of the fact that those against are mainly saying so for selfish "I can walk to the ground"  - "I can have a pint before the game" reasons. I read this nonsense on the BW forums all the time, yet there are a number of pubs round the Reebok, and you still see thousands walking to the ground, there are also at least a couple of dozen football special double deckers to bus the old school out the the Reebok.