Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Stadium Update from RedWeb

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fatshaft

Wonder will we ground share with cove - with them selling their ground for development?

Kings links definately my preferred location - cos 5 mins from my hoose.

Wonder will the pitt bar survive if stadium moves to cove :(

More worried about the golf clubs, they will be in dire straights without the football boost they get.

Guest fatshaft

Saw this on AFC chat - just had to give another  :lolabove:

You may laugh, but it's right enough. Or are you telling me that the 3 golf clubs and Pittodrie bar house 10,000+ every match day?

Guest fatshaft

I'm pretty sure increased trade in ALL pubs in city centre resulting from fitba - including men in toon with the missus... she has a glass o wine, he has a pint and nips to the fitba - would run into the thousands.

I'd be very surprised. I'll refer you to slim's response that you couldn't be arsed quoting

Don't be so short sighted Tommy, we should be basing the entire future of the club on the basis of how easy it is for some people to have a pint before a match.

The plans are an outrage, some people will be forced to take a BUS! If that's not an infringement on peoples' human rights, I don't know what is.

Guest fatshaft

but maybe these non-drinkin fitba fans are why pittodrie can be like a graveyard - it's all people like your fault!!!

Really? What an ignorant comment. Or do you have to be pissed to sing? I certainly enjoy a pint, but driving to Pittodrie makes that a non-starter. So not only do you assume I don't drink, but also that I wouldn't be a singer to boot. Maybe fans like you are why so few bother going?

I think he meant to say 2 buses to get from the east of the city to cove - and I dread to think how long it would take to get said bus - people moan aout the time to get away from the game? 

Yes, because there's absolutely no chance that they'll even consider introducing further public transport links to a new stadium, we're stuck with the current routes and timetables we've got for all of eternity.

There are only 2 (already overused) roads from the north to cove, it will be a bottleneck and a nightmare.

We have the A90, which is a dual carriageway, we have Wellington Road, which will soon be a dual carriageway all the way up to its junction with the A90, and by the time the stadium is in use, we'll have the WPR which is also a dual carriageway. How can that possibly be a bad thing?  Far better than the single lane King Street and the single lane Beach Boulevard.

I think us locals will still drink in the pitt bar - unfortunately it is unlikely many saturday regulars will leave to go to the game.

Their loss, you can't structure a football club, and a business around the drinking habits of a couple of dozen people. You've had a football stadium on your doorstep for the last 100 years or so, someone else is going to get a shotty now, stop being selfish. People travel from all corners of the country to come to home games, you're complaining about going a few miles to somewhere that will have plenty of public transport support.

I expect attendances to go up.  They normally do when a new stadium is built.  Yes, its going to be a bit awkward for city centre fans to get to but as Slim says, by the time its built the infrastructure should be in place to make it easier.  I can definitely see more people with cars wanting to go to the new stadium, because it will be easier to get to, and to park at.  Plenty of time to put some bars/restaurants nearby as well.

Just think its a pity the train line is on the other side of Cove.

But on the whole the announcement is a very positive one.  Hope we see the new stadium and AWPR as promised!

I expect attendances to go up.  They normally do when a new stadium is built.  Yes, its going to be a bit awkward for city centre fans to get to but as Slim says, by the time its built the infrastructure should be in place to make it easier.  I can definitely see more people with cars wanting to go to the new stadium, because it will be easier to get to, and to park at.  Plenty of time to put some bars/restaurants nearby as well.

Just think its a pity the train line is on the other side of Cove.

But on the whole the announcement is a very positive one.  Hope we see the new stadium and AWPR as promised!

Unfortunate. Now, I may be wrong here and thinking of Glasgow too much, but have there been calls for a cross-rail in Aberdeen? If so, what did they propose?

Yes, because there's absolutely no chance that they'll even consider introducing further public transport links to a new stadium, we're stuck with the current routes and timetables we've got for all of eternity.

We have the A90, which is a dual carriageway, we have Wellington Road, which will soon be a dual carriageway all the way up to its junction with the A90, and by the time the stadium is in use, we'll have the WPR which is also a dual carriageway. How can that possibly be a bad thing?  Far better than the single lane King Street and the single lane Beach Boulevard.

Their loss, you can't structure a football club, and a business around the drinking habits of a couple of dozen people. You've had a football stadium on your doorstep for the last 100 years or so, someone else is going to get a shotty now, stop being selfish. People travel from all corners of the country to come to home games, you're complaining about going a few miles to somewhere that will have plenty of public transport support.

You was going well until the last paragraph...

You should structure a business around it's paying customers.

Why should someone else get a shotty?  (that comment may have been tongue in cheek)

Who cares where these people travel from in the country, it's a community stadium.  If they've came x hundred miles then a few more isn't going to stop them.  Whereas the alternative for the town's folk is 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Unfortunate. Now, I may be wrong here and thinking of Glasgow too much, but have there been calls for a cross-rail in Aberdeen? If so, what did they propose?

They are talking about it, but it was in the opposite direction from Cove.  Perhaps they will include the community stadium in future discussions about this.

A new golf course, a community stadium, a bypass AND a cross-rail thingy?

We'll have evolved wings and took flight by the time that all gets built so we won't have any need for trains.

They are talking about it, but it was in the opposite direction from Cove.  Perhaps they will include the community stadium in future discussions about this.

What were their ideas for it? They should build a loop, kinda like the AWPR, but with trains, so it could link Westhill, Dyce, Ellon, and Cove. Or something.

You was going well until the last paragraph...

You should structure a business around it's paying customers.

Yes, the majority of them, not those too stubborn to move from their comfy seat in front of the telly at the Pittodrie Bar. The percentage of those attending a match who drink in the pubs before the match and would be unwilling to travel to Cove because it's not handy would be quite low in my estimations. Low enough that the money saved from building on a brownfield site marked for development instead of digging up part of a golf course next to the beach will far outweigh that of the money spent from people willing to abaondon supporting their team because it means they'll miss out on having some pre-match beers.

Why should someone else get a shotty?  (that comment may have been tongue in cheek)

It was tongue in cheek, pointing out that he should be grateful for having the stadium on his doorstep in the first place, and it seems he's taken it for granted. He'll just have to do what thousands of other fans already have to do every other week.

Who cares where these people travel from in the country, it's a community stadium.  If they've came x hundred miles then a few more isn't going to stop them.  Whereas the alternative for the town's folk is 'out of sight, out of mind'.

It's going to be in a location where they'll be able to build all the facilities that will serve the community, it's a far larger area than the beach site and far more room for expansion to incorporate hotels, shops, offices, gyms, restaurants, etc, etc. They evaluated sites on all sides of the city and that was chosen as the most viable for a variety of reasons. There are always going to be people unhappy no matter what location is chosen, they've done their best to suit the majority.

And we do have a responsiblity to serve the rest of the country with providing easy access from other areas, especially if the Scottish government will be providing a lot of the funding and if we want to host national events.

What were their ideas for it? They should build a loop, kinda like the AWPR, but with trains, so it could link Westhill, Dyce, Ellon, and Cove. Or something.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2005/06/10143649

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_Crossrail

Not been talked about for a couple of years, but notice they were talking about extra stops on the Stonehaven route so who knows, this might all be back up for discussion again.

Guest fatshaft

Yes, the majority of them, not those too stubborn to move from their comfy seat in front of the telly at the Pittodrie Bar. The percentage of those attending a match who drink in the pubs before the match and would be unwilling to travel to Cove because it's not handy would be quite low in my estimations. Low enough that the money saved from building on a brownfield site marked for development instead of digging up part of a golf course next to the beach will far outweigh that of the money spent from people willing to abaondon supporting their team because it means they'll miss out on having some pre-match beers.

It was tongue in cheek, pointing out that he should be grateful for having the stadium on his doorstep in the first place, and it seems he's taken it for granted. He'll just have to do what thousands of other fans already have to do every other week.

It's going to be in a location where they'll be able to build all the facilities that will serve the community, it's a far larger area than the beach site and far more room for expansion to incorporate hotels, shops, offices, gyms, restaurants, etc, etc. They evaluated sites on all sides of the city and that was chosen as the most viable for a variety of reasons. There are always going to be people unhappy no matter what location is chosen, they've done their best to suit the majority.

And we do have a responsiblity to serve the rest of the country with providing easy access from other areas, especially if the Scottish government will be providing a lot of the funding and if we want to host national events.

:clap:

Agree with all of that.

But you're missing the point that places in town be that watering holes, eateries, corner shops, bookies, taxi firms, etc.... will all lose the trade of these fans.  How can that be seen as a benefit the community?

Why should we do what thousands of other fans do?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

They're looking to build a community stadium.  All this talk of shops, hotels, offices, gyms, restaurants, swimming pools, etc, etc.... what's all that for exactly?

To rake in more money?

People flock to the AECC for gigs and everyone is in agreement it's shite for acoustics, way out the road to get to, nightmare for getting a taxi back and unless you live in the Bridge of Don it's not walkable.

If they build a multi-purpose stadium, one which can hold various sporting and music events then you're already onto a winner.  The money will flood in and you won't need all that other shit, which won't be owned by the council anyway.

The beach is already recognised as a place for various facilities and very much geared towards families.  Why not improve on that further and then you'll have more people using any improved transport links every day of the week rather than once a fortnight.