Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

sign a striker now

Ok Broon. It's time for you to sign a striker capable of scoring goals. Five games in and on four occasions failed to score in ninety minutes which I find deeply worrying. That's three or four transfer windows now and he hasn't signed a striker worthy of the name. Seems to be plenty of effort with no end result. It won't wash for much longer before the crowds drop off again.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that Vernon could have had a hat trick last week had it not been for a shit linesman. His second was certainly not offside and his third was blocked by a handball.

He could'vescored a hat trick last week and we still would've failed to score in 4 of 5 games.

We know Vernon can and will score goals, but no other striker is capable of the same. So, we need another. Couldn't give a toss about keepers and full-backs, if we don't score, we don't win.

Bloo Toon were you there yesterday?

I have just watched the highlights after being there yesterday and I am baffled as to how hearts escaped. At times we were awesome. It was so one sided in the second half if I was a junky jambo I would be embarassed. Playing like this we will score goals. I think its waaayyy to eartly to get all humphy about it.

Hmm. I am trying (to be fair) to keep a positive spin on things as we are playing really good football. It seems that in the recent past we have one or two games where we use up all our "goals for the season" allowance, either by pumping a team by 3 or 4 or by going on a mini run of 3 games where we win by a one or two goal margin. Yesterday was a classic example of ONE goal would have won it as hearts just simply parked the bus and were there for a draw.

I'm just waiting for someone to say "someone is going to get a doing off us".

We've scored 2 goals in 4 league games. Blanked in 3 of those. I like being hard to beat and can appreciate we are playing good football but scoring is where it's at. Playing good football whilst not scoring means our strikers must be baws.

I would happily have another striker at the club although I think McGinn was originally going to be playing off Vernon before getting injured. At the minute, I would have thought that to get another striker in, someone would have to leave which I dont think is going to happen with Vernon, Fallon and Maggennis (who signed a new deal in the summer). Don't forget Mitch Megginson can also play up front and wide and Paton was on the bench. We were playing 4-3-3 for majority of the game yesterday with Fraser, Vernon and Hayes up top. I would be more worried if we weren't creating anything and looked devoid of any ideas which has been the case too often in the past. At the minute, I'm happy and I think it will come but we do need to start being ruthless in front of goal. Vernon has been very unlucky with his start to the season IMO.

If Paton goes out on loan, then we might get someone in on loan to replace him. If not think we'll go with what we've got.

I know Paton has had loads of chances, but after his display against Man U I'm surprised he hasn't had a chance at all.

If Paton goes out on loan, then we might get someone in on loan to replace him. If not think we'll go with what we've got.

I know Paton has had loads of chances, but after his display against Man U I'm surprised he hasn't had a chance at all.

Very true, I would be quite happy to see him leave Aberdeen as I don't think he's showed much at all. However, his performance against Man U was very impressive and maybe we should give him one more chance yet.

Using the self same logic of those who reckon one day we'll come good with goals, if we go through to December with the same goalscoring form of the past 24 months without Craig Brown having signed a decent recognised striker, the finger of blame will be pointed in his direction. He has taken a gamble with McGinn, because he isn't a recognised striker. The flipside of course is that it could be a great bit of business if he does start banging them in. But I have zero confidence that magennis, Fallon or paton can step up and if Vernon goes thru a lean spell, there's nobody lighting a fire under him.

There definitely are green shoots in this team, absolutely. But these need to be converted to points on the league table, not in the bad luck cup.

Vernon's problem is he's not a lone striker. Needs someone else in the box to move people about and overlap. It might come good with the wingers overlapping but still need another central player. If not a better 2ns striker than we have, then the attacking mid we never had since smith. Don't think Rae's got the legs for that.

I want to see Paton up front for a few games before Jan though. Really think he could be a player but has been wasted on the left most times we've seen him.

Blimey the negativity on here never ceases to surprise.

We were bloody excellent again on Sunday after a superb performance against Saints.  It has been a long long time since I've seen such exciting attacking play from Aberdeen, seen such a dominant performance from Aberdeen and to have coped so comfortably with Hearts attempts at attacking.

The scoring is a concern but if we play like we did on Sunday and like we did against Saints we will score many more goals than we did last season.

The issue I think is the formation we are playing.

433 is working brilliantly for us in that we have 3 guys in the middle of the park bossing the game and 2 skillful, exciting wingers running at their men, beating them and delivering decent crosses.

Problem is Vernon by himself in the middle.  I wouldn't ditch the formation to put someone next to him and not just because we basically tried that with McGinn v County are were horrendously lopsided.

The three in the middle are allowing us to control the game and dominate possession.

What we need is for someone in the middle of the park to take up some of the responsibility for getting forward and scoring. Rae and Jack had good chances on Sat and they need to make more of these.

Vernon has comfortably got into double figures in far worse teams than this the last few years.  He needs to get some confidence back but he will be in the top 5 scorers in the league.  Making a panic buy with a couple of days to go till the window slams shut has never worked before and won't work now.

In anycase we'll be fine

Blimey the negativity on here never ceases to surprise.

We were bloody excellent again on Sunday after a superb performance against Saints.  It has been a long long time since I've seen such exciting attacking play from Aberdeen, seen such a dominant performance from Aberdeen and to have coped so comfortably with Hearts attempts at attacking.

The scoring is a concern but if we play like we did on Sunday and like we did against Saints we will score many more goals than we did last season.

The issue I think is the formation we are playing.

433 is working brilliantly for us in that we have 3 guys in the middle of the park bossing the game and 2 skillful, exciting wingers running at their men, beating them and delivering decent crosses.

Problem is Vernon by himself in the middle.  I wouldn't ditch the formation to put someone next to him and not just because we basically tried that with McGinn v County are were horrendously lopsided.

The three in the middle are allowing us to control the game and dominate possession.

What we need is for someone in the middle of the park to take up some of the responsibility for getting forward and scoring. Rae and Jack had good chances on Sat and they need to make more of these.

Vernon has comfortably got into double figures in far worse teams than this the last few years.  He needs to get some confidence back but he will be in the top 5 scorers in the league.  Making a panic buy with a couple of days to go till the window slams shut has never worked before and won't work now.

In anycase we'll be fine

cfa1e1eb-142d-45ac-949f-2d855e568f9f.jpg