Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Craig Brown: Aberdeen are in a relegation dogfight

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown has admitted that his players will need to battle to steer clear of relegation this season.

The Dons, who have never been relegated from the top flight, are currently second from bottom in the Scottish premier league table, ahead of Inverness on goal difference but also holding a game in hand.

After losing at home to Motherwell on Saturday, Brown has said that his players are now under pressure to perform and lift themselves clear of danger.

“Our position in the league is not good enough for a club like Aberdeen,” he admitted.

“There is huge pressure on us to take all the points from most of the games up to the end of the year.”

Aberdeen face trips to Dunfermline and Kilmarnock in their next two games and though facing two of the three sides directly above them, Brown said every team bar Rangers, Celtic and Motherwell has to look over their shoulder.

“We’re in a dogfight to steer clear of bottom spot already and let’s not kid ourselves otherwise,” he said.

“None of the clubs from fourth down can afford to be complacent because we’re all under threat.

“It’s those who show the stomach to fight for their future in this league who will get to a position of safety.”

Similar article in the Record in which Brown goes on to say that he needs to being in a prolific striker to take the burden of Vernon. Makes you wonder what Fallon and the Explosive one were brought for then.

As I said in the match thread, from what i could I from commentary, a lot seemed to go through chalali.

I would say talk of relegation dog fight is hysterical nonsense but maybe it's what the team needs to give them a kick up the backside.  We're clearly mid-table at best (whether that is top or bottom 6 time will tell) thus losing to the top 3 (who are clear by some distance) is no great shock or hardship.

We had two great wins prior to that and I'll save my panicking for if we are still in this same situation in a months time.

I would say talk of relegation dog fight is hysterical nonsense but maybe it's what the team needs to give them a kick up the backside.  We're clearly mid-table at best (whether that is top or bottom 6 time will tell) thus losing to the top 3 (who are clear by some distance) is no great shock or hardship.

We had two great wins prior to that and I'll save my panicking for if we are still in this same situation in a months time.

Our record against the current top 6 teams in the worst in the league with only 1 point gained.

I'd rather we start panicking now and hope the team realises what a perilous position it is in, while we're still close to the rest of the league. Waiting a month, and being adrift at the bottom might be too late.