Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

LEICESTER EYES ON ABERDEEN BOSS

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=leicester-eyes-on-aberdeen-boss%26method=full%26objectid=19713380%26siteid=66633-name_page.html

LEICESTER CITY are eyeing up a swoop for Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood.

The Championship side's chief Milan Manderic has been impressed by the former Dunfermline manager's track record and has placed him on a shortlist to replace Martin Allen who was sacked this week.

When Calderwood quit East End Park for Aberdeen just over three years ago the Dons had been haunted by the spectre of relegation for a decade.

But astute signings and savage cuts - 32 players have been axed under his regime - has seen Aberdeen qualify for today's UEFA Cup draw and emerge as one of the Old Firm's main challengers.

All this has been achieved with a surplus of £500,000 on the Pittodrie boss's transfer manoeuvres.

With just 10 months of his deal remaining, and no move by the Aberdeen board to open contract negotiations with Calderwood, Mandaric is aware that compensation would be minimal.

The Dons boss is frustrated that, with debts of £13million, he has been unable to spend any transfer profits on strengthening his squad.

The chance to move to a leading Championship club with a substantial transfer budget might just persuade him that the time is right to leave Aberdeen.

:wave:

Like who? None of our current players are championship standard

oh come on. you think the championship is some sort of football masterclass? mark mcghee said on setanta a couple of weeks ago that the WHOLE of the spl would compete comfortably in the championship and that includes gretna and st mirren. what makes you think one of the country's better sides (ie: us) wouldn't?

remember, jc is frighteningly loyal to players (hence our team being stuffed with ex-dunf squaddies), so if he headed down south, i wouldn't be surprised to see him try to tempt seve, barry nic, jamie smith, michael hart, zander or chris clark to join him.

even clangers, if they were still on speaking terms.

Like who? None of our current players are championship standard

You having a laugh? Have you ever watched the championship? Utter dross. The standard is appalling.

Kev McNaughton said that Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts would occupy the top three places in that league, and I don't actually disagree with him.

Willie Miller also said in the summer we'd survive in the Premiership.

If we didn't have the UEFA Cup coming up, I think he'd be off like a shot. However, it won't be the last Championship job coming up, and I don't envisage him being here by the end of the season.

Would be worried about him taking our best players with him though.

I don't share your pessimism. ;)

He left Dunfermline just before they played in the UEFA so I'm not convinced that would stop him this time. Dons have improved, consistent top 6 side and qualified for Europe - time to bail before he incurs a black mark? And to a side with Premiership potential...

I do agree that he'll probably not be with us this time next season.

Willie Miller also said in the summer we'd survive in the Premiership.

Would we fuck!

I'd love to be more constructive with my comments, but thats about all I can manage on that one.

Did he really say that? Was he pissed? He must've been.

Interesting seeing Jimmy's work at the club summarised like that. Looks none too shabby. Makes me wonder why i'm so fed up with him...

ahh yes the stupid team selections, insane tactics and Derek Young. I'll take him to Leicester myself, in a rickshaw.

Not Naysaying or Poopooing any statement here but Our goal today came from a corner kick that was a result of DEREK YOUNG busting up and earning it.

I along with many here have slagged him but that does count for something doesn't it?

Could this actually be JC's Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear?

Is it possible that the quality of players in the SPL has deteriorated so much that players like Young look okay now. Back in the early 2000s, money was being thrown around the SPL like crazy, and big name players that just shouldn't have been in the SPL were playing in our top flight. Now, the league is filled up with Scots and guys who cannae get games for English First Division sides.

Young's not improved. He's just not on his own in looking so bland anymore.

Not Naysaying or Poopooing any statement here but Our goal today came from a corner kick that was a result of DEREK YOUNG busting up and earning it.

I along with many here have slagged him but that does count for something doesn't it?

Drew, I was in line with Youngs 'run' up the line, he lost control of it twice - thankfully the defender passed it back to him in similar shambolic ball control and then he punted it off the defender.

He didnt play that bad at times, but a couple of times he left a hole at our left by randomly running into the middle to double mark a player and on one occasion was wandering around the box looking for someone to mark as the ball was swung in from where he should have been.

Is it possible that the quality of players in the SPL has deteriorated so much that players like Young look okay now. Back in the early 2000s, money was being thrown around the SPL like crazy, and big name players that just shouldn't have been in the SPL were playing in our top flight. Now, the league is filled up with Scots and guys who cannae get games for English First Division sides.

Young's not improved. He's just not on his own in looking so bland anymore.

Wouldn't it be nice if he proves you wrong though, eh Reekie?

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

looks like this was a typical bunch of chick young horseshit. however, jc hasn't done himself a lot of favours by refusing to deny it.

it was never going to be the case, although jc has in the past made much of the fact that he turned down the derby county job before billy davies landed it. i get the feeling jc has a much larger appreciation of his own qualities than anyone else does.

however, i'd rather he stayed to see the job through, i must say. there are far too many blithering fools out there (largely on AN Other board, to be fair) with pitifully short memories who conveniently forget how absolutely rank rotten we were before jc took over. aye, we get the odd performance we don't like, but i'd rather have credible mediocrity than outright laughable atrociousness which we got under ebbe and paterson.

looks like this was a typical bunch of chick young horseshit. however, jc hasn't done himself a lot of favours by refusing to deny it.

it was never going to be the case, although jc has in the past made much of the fact that he turned down the derby county job before billy davies landed it. i get the feeling jc has a much larger appreciation of his own qualities than anyone else does.

i'd rather he stayed to see the job through, i must say. there are far too many blithering fools out there (largely on AN Other board, to be fair) with pitifully short memories who conveniently forget how absolutely rank rotten we were before jc took over. aye, we get the odd performance we don't like, but i'd rather have credible mediocrity than outright laughable atrociousness which we got under ebbe and paterson.

Couldn't agree more if  I tried.

Without a doubt post of the day mate :thumbsup:

i'd rather he stayed to see the job through, i must say. there are far too many blithering fools out there (largely on AN Other board, to be fair) with pitifully short memories who conveniently forget how absolutely rank rotten we were before jc took over. aye, we get the odd performance we don't like, but i'd rather have credible mediocrity than outright laughable atrociousness which we got under ebbe and paterson.

Paterson was Crap that's true.  But Ebbe did also get us to Europe; I can't say his time was ALL Crap.

Paterson was Crap that's true.  But Ebbe did also get us to Europe; I can't say his time was ALL Crap.

being generous, i'd say that aberdeen under ebbe were at least amusing - largely for the wrong reasons. the only highlights i can remember from that whole time were that hysterical 5-6 game at fir park, beating a very good sellic 2-0 at home (the snowballs game) and beating the hun in the league cup quarter final. 

other than that, it was a pitiless parade of 5,6 and 7-0 horsings at the hands of the old firm (and livingston, for crying out loud) and the increasing hooting scorn of opposition fans of every stripe. it was frankly embarrassing being an aberdeen fan at the time, which is a situation i hope never to be in again.

as for getting us into europe, it was a fluke - and one ebbe admitted at the time.