Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

LEICESTER EYES ON ABERDEEN BOSS

looks like this was a typical bunch of chick young horseshit. however, jc hasn't done himself a lot of favours by refusing to deny it.

Strange that word of JC's contract being up before the end of the season was largely what the papers were talking about a couple of weeks ago, now suddenly he's on some made up Chick Young shortlist for a better paid/arguably higher profile job...

Anyway, regarding JC's contract, can someone tell me the answer to this: after the Queen's Park game, he signed a new deal. At the time, i was certain it was a 3 year deal. Why would his contract be up at the end of this season?

looks like this was a typical bunch of chick young horseshit. however, jc hasn't done himself a lot of favours by refusing to deny it.

Strange that word of JC's contract being up before the end of the season was largely what the papers were talking about a couple of weeks ago, now suddenly he's on some made up Chick Young shortlist for a better paid/arguably higher profile job...

Anyway, regarding JC's contract, can someone tell me the answer to this: after the Queen's Park game, he signed a new deal. At the time, i was certain it was a 3 year deal. Why would his contract be up at the end of this season?

think it was just a twelve month rolling extension or something like that

Talking of crap signings, how many of JC's have been good signings? Not many - Seve and Jamie injury prone, Baz Nic has been good in the last season or so, Lovell and Miller have potential but not done much - he supposidly wants the board to state ambition (with finance) but do you trust the guy spending the money???

I dunno, by and large i think the players who have come in have been ones who have done well at other SPL clubs and have all been potentially good signings. There have been some that i would class as absolute howlers (Langfield, Soutar, Byrne, Dung, Dempsey...) who should never be near a first team shirt. But, based on what players have done for other teams, he's signed some quality as well.

It's just a shame his tactics are so negative and fails to play to any of their strengths...

I dunno, by and large i think the players who have come in have been ones who have done well at other SPL clubs and have all been potentially good signings. There have been some that i would class as absolute howlers (Langfield, Soutar, Byrne, Dung, Dempsey...) who should never be near a first team shirt. But, based on what players have done for other teams, he's signed some quality as well.

It's just a shame his tactics are so negative and fails to play to any of their strengths...

You inferring JC can go then Millers Tache?

i'd rather have credible mediocrity than outright laughable atrociousness which we got under ebbe and paterson

I might be alone here, but I thought we were actually okay when we had Ebbe as manager. Remember, he was working with absolute shite in his first season. Then he gradually got better and better, and in his penultimate season he took us to within one win of 3rd place, and noteably he took us back into Europe on merit.

The 2001-02 squad was pretty fuckin immense, and we did have some very memorable matches with that squad. We were getting wins when we really shouldn't have, and the only laughable part of us was the fact that we kept getting absolutely horsed when we went to face any team in Glasgow.

You inferring JC can go then Millers Tache?

I wouldn't go that far, Drew. He's certainly not a bad manager. I think he could be better, but i know i wouldn't be manning the exits to have a demo against him. However, it would be interesting to see what someone else would do with our current squad... If only Mark McGhee was still available...

Good news

JIMMY'S STAYING AT DONS

By Ian Orr

JIMMY CALDERWOOD last night killed off speculation linking him with the Leicester job and insisted he will be in charge for Aberdeen's European campaign.

He assured Dons fans he will lead the side in their UEFA Cup tie against Ukrainian outfit Dnipro.

But he revealed he will seek assurances from the Pittodrie board about backing to take the club to the next level before entering talks about a new deal.

The manager said: "Jimmy Nicholl and I love this club and fully expect to be here when we return to Europe and beyond. You can never be certain about what is around the corner but we're happy in our jobs and not planning to leave in a hurry.

"This sort of speculation goes on in football all the time. Of course, it's flattering but that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

"However, we need to know how far we can go. To keep moving forward, it is vital that we keep players like Michael Hart, Barry Nicholson and Chris Clark.

"We must find out if the finances are in place to keep our best players and build on what has been achieved so far.

"I just need to know what the ambitions of the directors are and Willie Miller is aware of this."

Good news on a few levels really. Should force the hand of the board to keep Hart, Clark and Nicholson. Then start sorting out Maguire's future. I would prefer to keep Miller and Diamond as well. Lovell should probably stay, but I doubt he will unless he gets 10 this season.

Good news

Good news on a few levels really. Should force the hand of the board to keep Hart, Clark and Nicholson. Then start sorting out Maguire's future. I would prefer to keep Miller and Diamond as well. Lovell should probably stay, but I doubt he will unless he gets 10 this season.

Not really sure why you're putting a figure on the amount of goals Lovell HAS to score to secure a new contract? Especially when Lee Miller has now taken his grand total to 5 in 38 matches. If any of the strikers is undeserving of a contract, it would have to be Miller, particularly as he's our highest paid player.

Because Miller (I feel) was seriously hampered by the arrival of Brewster. Lovell does need to get a run in the team, but his confidence really does look down. Calderwood clearly doesn't see eye to eye with him either. Personally I think he is the best striker we have had since Stavrum, but he flits in and out of games, has never looked fully fit or committed, and it is far more frustrating that we know he is good but has never shown his abilities 100%.

Because Miller (I feel) was seriously hampered by the arrival of Brewster. Lovell does need to get a run in the team, but his confidence really does look down. Calderwood clearly doesn't see eye to eye with him either. Personally I think he is the best striker we have had since Stavrum, but he flits in and out of games, has never looked fully fit or committed, and it is far more frustrating that we know he is good but has never shown his abilities 100%.

The crux of being a "mid-market team".  Having to sign guys on potential.  Then realizing your team is consistently inconsistent.

Absolutely agree there. I think Miller just lost all confidence when Brewster came in. He was playing some decent stuff, then all of a sudden, the man who kicked him out of his last team, friend of his current boss and rival for his shirt appears and he's benched as soon as he arrives. No wonder he's looked lost for the past 8 months, IMO.

Absolutely agree there. I think Miller just lost all confidence when Brewster came in. He was playing some decent stuff, then all of a sudden, the man who kicked him out of his last team, friend of his current boss and rival for his shirt appears and he's benched as soon as he arrives. No wonder he's looked lost for the past 8 months, IMO.

Lee, if you are reading this, It's your time!