Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Steven Smith

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, we can afford what we can afford but clearly you reckon we can afford to take on Shay Given's contract. Goalkeeper is nowhere near the fucking problem position in any case, the useless pivots ahead of tghe keeper clearly are. Transition once more.

Aye, you're right, I clearly think we can take Given's contract on. Jesus fuck.

The guy is a loser, he's admitted himself, he's a big game bottler and he's not too hot in the "wee games" either. We'll go nowhere with him in goals.

Transition? what you on about?

I think that was the interview where I lost faith in him. It confirmed everything we suspected about his character. He's just the second generation of the cancer at the club. But currently, we need to get our defence sorted. And quick fast.

New GK has to be very low on the list of priorities unless Broon happens to unearth a gem.  Unlikely he'll be able to find better on such a low budget but the challenge is there nonetheless.

Those priorities in my opinion, in order:

1 A commanding central defender x2

With a calming influence on our bombscare-friendly back four.  One CB may be enough if a fit Considine can find some consistency, the worry is that McArdle is not good enough to light a fire under anyone at this level.  I do suspect that we will need to see a breakthrough from the likes of Joe Shaughnessy or one of the other young lads next season.  I also have a sneaking suspicion that Andy Considine could indeed be club captain next season.

2 A left-back (unless Smith stays)

Hopefully the aforementioned Smith decides to stay on.

3 A left-sided midfield player

With Aluko expected to go, a replacement of a similar ilk to give the fans a bit of excitement will be needed in a side that is quite one-dimensional.  Milsom can play there, but he's not a winger in the sense that Aluko is.  Interesting to note that Jamie Smith still has his house in Westhill...

4 An experienced or energetic central midfielder

Whether he retires or not, Hartley's legs have gone and he hasn't contributed enough on the pitch.  Fyvie, Folly, Milsom and to a lesser extent Jack have the CM places more than covered and it will be exciting to see especially how Fyvie kicks on under Brown and Knox, but a midfield general in the truest sense is what we need.

5 A good "second striker" to play off Vernon

With Maguire expected to be gone, I don't think we can expect Paton, Mackie or Magennis to step up to fill his boots.  Perhaps a good pre-season from Paton would make him the number one candidate but he's lost almost an entire year following a perceived fall-out with Dingus and I think his ship may have sailed as a result.

6 A right-sided midfield player

Can we rely on glass-legs Pawlett to make the RW spot his own?

7 A new goalkeeper

Langfield needs better consistency next season and to improve his concentration.  There will be good keepers out there but I don't agree that he costs us alot of points over the course of a season and the wage budget is better served on the outfield creative positions in a team that doesn't score enough goals.  On the contrary, his record at saving penalties is impressive.  With a better, and more settled back four in front of him, he will do better.  AFC rarely played the same back four for 3 or 4 games in succession last season and it must be remembered that Considine, Diamond, Ifil, McArdle and Vujadinovic all played at CB and FB last season.  Where's the consistency in that!?

I think Brown will sign a couple of good players this summer and I imagine there will be plenty of "homesick" Scots in the Championship who would jump at the chance of a move to play under him at Pittodrie.  Pure idle speculation for speculation's sake, but someone like Gavin Rae, perhaps now missed his last chance of playing in the EPL at age 32 (?), might fancy finishing his days in his home city for example and I think we'd be glad to have him.  Maybe a cheeky stab at getting Mehdi Taouil from Kilmarnock unless he's set on joining JJ at Hearts.  I've liked the boy Humphrey at Motherwell whenever I've seen him, but don't know his contract situation.

All in all, a complete squad revamp is needed.

Aye, you're right, I clearly think we can take Given's contract on. Jesus fuck.

The guy is a loser, he's admitted himself, he's a big game bottler and he's not too hot in the "wee games" either. We'll go nowhere with him in goals.

Transition? what you on about?

The point is that keeper is nowhere near the problem position/positions. The transitory nature of the team over the last 2 or 3 seasons is such that there is no settled nature to the defence, hence transition again. I reckon unless we get a couple of decent centre halves in we'll go nowhere in any case, regardless of the keeper we have, I am not suggesting he's excellent or even good for that matter, I don't reckon we have a player in the entire squad who could get to near being a "good" player but for the money we are likely to be paying, he does a decent job.

Folk wanting Ferraris for no even Ford money.

As I've said before, because of our financial straights we really need to start finding the hidden gems (not diamonds!  :hammer:) that ARE out there. (And no, I don't know enough to tell you who they are)

Hopefully CB is the man to do it, and finds us a couple of players from "nowhere" that turn out to be excellent for us.

The point is that keeper is nowhere near the problem position/positions.

No, that isn't the point. While I appreciate the point you're making, the crux of this is that he is not good enough and has proven that over a number of years now. How long do we keep saying "there are more pressing problems in other positions" while letting this just go on and on?  Get a keeper in who the defence have faith in, who the defence know if the ball is in the six yard line they don't have to put themselves on the line because he's too chicken shit to come for it.

If we can not get better for his money then our scouts are not doing their jobs properly.

No, that isn't the point. While I appreciate the point you're making, the crux of this is that he is not good enough and has proven that over a number of years now. How long do we keep saying "there are more pressing problems in other positions" while letting this just go on and on?  Get a keeper in who the defence have faith in, who the defence know if the ball is in the six yard line they don't have to put themselves on the line because he's too chicken shit to come for it.

If we can not get better for his money then our scouts are not doing their jobs properly.

And if Brown/Knox/Leighton decide to keep him as no.1, as they seem to be suggesting? Whilst I would have no problem at all with him being replaced, I have more opportunity to watch the other keepers in the SPL this season than I normally would have and at worst he compares well with the majority.

Incidentally, what do you think about Cerny at Hamilton? Low cost replacement? But that aside, I still don't see the keeper as a problem needing attended to aside from getting a decent bit of competition for Langfield, Howard is quite dreadful.

And if Brown/Knox/Leighton decide to keep him as no.1, as they seem to be suggesting? Whilst I would have no problem at all with him being replaced, I have more opportunity to watch the other keepers in the SPL this season than I normally would have and at worst he compares well with the majority.

Incidentally, what do you think about Cerny at Hamilton? Low cost replacement? But that aside, I still don't see the keeper as a problem needing attended to aside from getting a decent bit of competition for Langfield, Howard is quite dreadful.

I have seen very little of Cerny but do know a few folk who seem to rate him but I couldn't  pass comment on him really.

Langfield's out of contract, this is our chance to move on.  No side will do anything of note on a consistent basis with a dodgy keeper.

There are players in the squad far more guilty of worse crimes, I know that, but this guy is a repeat offender.  His performance in the LC Semi this season was the last straw for me.

It does seem as though Brown et al consider Langfield to be their no.1 and will offer him a deal.

I would be surprised if we get someone of better quality for the money we are likely to be offering but if they do, brilliant but it doesn't appear to be their plan.

I think it would simply be a case of change for change sake as I can't think of anyone else I would be desperate to get in instead from outside the old firm or Hearts. As someone already said there does seem to be a distinct lack of good keepers generally. Ideally a good young keeper from within AFC should be challenging for his jersey.

I think with a solid, well organised back four in front of him he'll be sufficient for our needs. Like funster says I won't loose any sleep if he gets replaced, but on his day he's a capable goalkeeper.  Maybe his attitude (his bottle) will improve as he gets older?

I'm trying to remember how well he performed under Jimmy during the more respectable years, when he had a proper defender and captain in front of him? I know the fuck ups were still there in the cup games, but generally I thought he was quite reliable?

I think with a solid, well organised back four in front of him he'll be sufficient for our needs. Like funster says I won't loose any sleep if he gets replaced, but on his day he's a capable goalkeeper.  Maybe his attitude (his bottle) will improve as he gets older?

He's 31! If his attitude hasn't improved now, it never will!

Langifield is at best an average keeper who has always been prone to errors even before he came to us but at the moment do not think there are many better than him at the moment that we can afford so we might be better sticking with what we have.

I'm trying to remember how well he performed under Jimmy during the more respectable years, when he had a proper defender and captain in front of him? I know the fuck ups were still there in the cup games, but generally I thought he was quite reliable?

How many years at it has he had? 5? 6?  He's now 31 as was said earlier, why are people willing to be so patient with him but not with others? It is such a vital area of the pitch and to be saying "he might come good" after so long of at best mediocre performances is blind faith and extremely dangerous.

Jimmy dropped him at least twice in favour of Derek Soutar.

I'd imagine that's something no goalkeeper wants on his CV.

Ideally a good young keeper from within AFC should be challenging for his jersey.

Honest question, cos I've not seen many keepers in the past 7-8 years. Have we had any decent keepers come through our youth ranks since Leighton?

I'm trying to think of all the ones who've made it into the senior team, and cannot think of any that really stand out:

Esson

Watt

Stillie

Hutton (think he only featured on the bench a couple of times)

Peat

I personally ain't seen enough of Esson in recent years to pass judgment. But surely Aberdeen should be producing better keepers than this. Surely.