Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Steven Smith

really?

concerned by what exactly?

he was one of our best players

My concern would be that he was still booting the ball out randomly? That he would tire quickly and so forth.

I thought he did OK as I say, it was difficult to say if anyone was the best player due to the manner of the game but I am expecting him to be a much better player than last night - or do you think its as good as it gets?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith urges strong finish to ease pain of Dons faithful

LOAN DEFENDER IS HOPING ABERDEEN CAN REPAY SUPPORTERS IN FINAL FIVE GAMES

By Paul Third

Published: 20/04/2011

Steven Smith insists his Aberdeen team-mates must repay the club’s long-suffering supporters in the remaining five games of the season.

The despair among the Dons support is palpable.

Third bottom of the SPL and with no distraction of a place at Hampden next month for the Scottish Cup final after their 4-0 defeat in Sunday’s semi-final by Celtic, there is little to look forward to for anyone connected with the Pittodrie club.

There is little for the Dons players to motivate themselves for either, but left back Smith, on loan at Pittodrie from Norwich City until the end of the campaign, believes a strong finish can go some way to easing the pain of the supporters.

He said: “It is going to be hard to lift ourselves for the last five games of the season, but as football players that is what we have to do. It doesn’t matter if it was Celtic or next week’s game at Hamilton, the supporters expect to see us trying to win games and we owe them.

“You don’t get supporters at too many clubs who cheer you off the park when you have been beaten 4-0. It is the first time I have seen something like it.

“We have got to repay the people who pay their money and come to support us.

“They could easily have booed us off the pitch on Sunday, but they know we were up against it and gave our all.

“If nothing else, we owe it to them to keep going and try to gain a bit of respectability in the last five games.”

There has been little to occupy the Aberdeen players’ thoughts since Sunday with the team not in action again until next Monday at relegation-threatened Hamilton.

Manager Craig Brown and his assistant Archie Knox will spend the week trying to lift the mood at the club, but Smith admits there over- riding sense of disappointment will linger.

He said: “We played well for 20 minutes, but the game lasts 90 minutes and to get beaten 4-0 is disappointing.

“Had it been 11 against 11 I am sure we would have given them a match.

“Everyone is really disappointed at the way it finished but when you go down to 10 men that is what happens.

“It killed the game for us and we were just looking to defend.

“Our gameplan was to stop them playing and we did it well for 45 minutes.

“It is so sore to take and it will take time to get over it. We didn’t deserve to lose in the manner we did.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2231081#ixzz1K3a5SCbD

I would love to see him return next season. Does he have a year left on his contract at Norwich?

I'd imagine if they go up we'll have a good chance of getting him.

Wasn't he homesick anyway? Maybe we'll get him either way

Sure that home sickness will be cured when he sees that we cannot afford to pay him a month what he earns in a week at Norwich. Also I would think that if Norwich go up more chance they will be able to flog him to another Championship club as a player who helped them win promotion.

Today's Metro had a bit about Lambert saying Smith didn't settle down there and Smith himself saying he would like to stay.

With Papac leaving, what are the chances he'll be back at the huns?

I guess it all depends if Whytes deal goes through or not. Surely he'd be too old for the huns?!? Who's played in his position when Papac has been injured? I would love it if he stayed.

I guess it all depends if Whytes deal goes through or not. Surely he'd be too old for the huns?!? Who's played in his position when Papac has been injured? I would love it if he stayed.

Im not getting the bit about being to old, he's only 25.

Im not getting the bit about being to old, he's only 25.

Lol, I thought he was older than that! I still stand by my original hopeful statement though. Hopefully because Wylde has been very promising, it's not something we should be concerned about. I guess we'll have to wait and see and hope that the club come up with an acceptable deal.

Lol, I thought he was older than that! I still stand by my original hopeful statement though. Hopefully because Wylde has been very promising, it's not something we should be concerned about. I guess we'll have to wait and see and hope that the club come up with an acceptable deal.

Suspect this is where it will all fall down althought thought that would be case with Milson but club managed to get him signed up.

On his day, Langfield is an excellent keeper. Won a couple of Man-of-the-Matches in my opinion since Brown took over

Aye on his day, he's a decent SPL keeper. He's bottled it too often in big games and he has got a losers mentality. My fear is that he will sign a new contract because I don't think we will anything with him as a keeper. Whilst his shot-stopping cannot be faulted and his catching has improved, his command of the box and his positioning leaves a lot to be desired. His kicking is awful. I have defended him in the past but enough is enough. I really do think that him along with Diamond contribute a lot to the uncertainty in defence.

On his day, Langfield is an excellent keeper. Won a couple of Man-of-the-Matches in my opinion since Brown took over

He's a bottle merchant.  At best he's an average keeper.

Have you ever seen him make a save where you thought "FUCK, I REALLY DIDN'T THINK HE COULD SAVE THAT!"

No, me neither.  Ergo, he's not an excellent keeper. He's run of the mill, but his version of "run of the mill" involved bottling it when he got a hot dog thrown at him....

Which says it all really.

Bye Bye Jamie.

As good as any keeper outside of the OF. Doesn't really help when he has the utter shambles of humanity that have been Vujadinovic/Ifail/Diamond/Considine/McArdle in front of him, none of whom I would be comfortable with any longer, though clearly 3 of those won't be there anyway. Really quite horrendous players and in at least one case a quite astounding  cunt of a man.

And?  Because everyone else has a shite keeper it's ok for us to have one too?

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, we can afford what we can afford but clearly you reckon we can afford to take on Shay Given's contract. Goalkeeper is nowhere near the fucking problem position in any case, the useless pivots ahead of tghe keeper clearly are. Transition once more.