Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

If Our Manager Wasn't Mark McGhee...

BobbyBiscuit

would he have been binned last season, or even this season? Or would he be the subject of serious abuse from supporters if he hadn't been such a great player for us?

I never wanted McGhee in, and I said on these pages that one of the reasons for that was that i couldn't stand the pain of seeing of one of our greatest ever players (that's something that will never change) leaving the club in such a sad way again.  Willie Miller being sacked as manager was one of the saddest days as a Dons fan.

But, I got pretty fed up last season, I know some were less patient in the length of time it took for them to get fucked off with him (i.e. pre season training, 2009  ;)) and the excuses just now are wearing thin... the results wore thin some time ago and as for selelction and tactics, well...

I'm not calling for him to go, but he's not just drinking in the last chance saloon surely? They're calling time and putting the chairs up on the tables. We can't go on like this, legend or not, but where the fuck do we go from here whether he stays or not?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know. Sacking the manager whoever will not change a single thing within afc. I was looking at the champs league groups with copenhagen in there and i wondered how we have got it so so wrong.

Not really a viable comparison though is it? Copenhagen don't have the Old Firm to contend with domestically.

ahh. I get it. All our problems are the old firms. Silly me.

Wait there... I've thought about it. You're right. We should have won the league in those years and qualified for the CL just like Copenhagen because let's face it there was nothing really holding us back from doing that.  Poor show AFC, poor show.

No, seriously.

::)

You cannot compare us to copenhagen as they are a team that compete in the champions league. We had a one off successful season in europe and there are other reasons that are not Mcghee's as to why we're not doing that anymore.

That said, this is Mcghee's team and he cannot use the excuse of injuries as he's tied the noose himself. i think its a combination of both bobby's post and jager's post. There is no way another manager would have survived last season. It was a disaster and it is painful to see Mcghee now forever linked with it in his career with us. But, we as jager rightly says, have far too many apathetic supporters that just can't give a genuine shit anymore so his job will be safe until the seasons end. I don't blame them, because these have been some incredibly hard times for the fans and the club.

That said, this is Mcghee's team and he cannot use the excuse of injuries as he's tied the noose himself. i think its a combination of both bobby's post and jager's post. There is no way another manager would have survived last season. It was a disaster and it is painful to see Mcghee now forever linked with it in his career with us. But, we as jager rightly says, have far too many apathetic supporters that just can't give a genuine shit anymore so his job will be safe until the seasons end. I don't blame them, because these have been some incredibly hard times for the fans and the club.

I don't really understand this, McGhee's biggest failing last season was his lack of quality signings. But he seems to have done better on that front this season, and if it wasn't for the crippling financial constraints (ie ridiculously small squad) we'd be doing ok. We all knew that this squad could barely cope with any injuries - we've suffered several to some of our brightest talents.

The reality is the spl is a level playing field from third down, we'll win games and we'll lose games. Today we lost a tricky away match at Inverness and we're all pissed off about it, but let's not get all menstrual about it and start protesting about managers again.

I suffered last season and hated most of it, I was a Jimmy fan after all, but I see plenty to be positive about again this season.

Stick with it lads, better times ahead.

I have been hearing that for almost a year now CTS. Things are not getting any  better and we are better to make any changes now rather than when it is too late. I don't know who we would get in but as someone else said the board should have been making a list of possibilities.

I believe Mcghee is out of his depth. And his no fullbacks and 7 or 8 strikers, chopping and changing the goalkeeper every couple of weeks, having a go at players in public, all show this. If a goalkeeper makes mistakes week in week out then you change them but you don't flip flop every couple of weeks especially with the shambles of a defence like we have.

We have lost to Rangers at Pittodrie for the 1st time in 2006 after being 2-0 up and now lost for the 1st time in Inverness. Mcghee is certainly breaking all the wrong records during his reign.

Mate I'm not saying he's beyond criticism, he's made a fucking pigs ear of it in terms of the full back situation in particular. What I am saying is we're no worse than most the other non-OF sides, and could still find ourselves in Europe at the end of this season. Seems unlikely tonight, but stranger things have happened.

But sacking him will do no good. Same as sacking Jimmy Calderwood did no good.

Theres no way in hell anyone should be comparing us with Copenhagen, or any of the other teams we played that season. They were at their worst while we were at our best and we all met up in the UEFA Cup.

I don't think it really matters that McGhee is an Aberdeen legend (in some peoples eyes) as much as it sounds like its coming from the LS songsheet, he didn't get all the players he wanted in until the start of this season, there has been a rather large transition of players over the summer and to be judging them after 7 games is a bit harsh.

Despite that I still think McGhee has made a cunt of almost everything he has done since arriving.

Onwards and upwards though lads.

I'd also like to place some of the blame on the Old Firm ;)

Mate I'm not saying he's beyond criticism, he's made a fucking pigs ear of it in terms of the full back situation in particular. What I am saying is we're no worse than most the other non-OF sides, and could still find ourselves in Europe at the end of this season. Seems unlikely tonight, but stranger things have happened.

But sacking him will do no good. Same as sacking Jimmy Calderwood did no good.

Nail on head - this is however, yet again, a 'transitional' season....

I have never been a fan of McGhee as our manager and have absolutely no faith in him to take the club forward

That said I reckon it would completely unfair on a new manager to take over now with the squad that we have - he would be on a hiding to nothing from the word go

So dunno what the solution is - slip McGhee his P45 in his stocking at Christmas maybe and allow someone else a chance to realign the squad in the transfer window  :-\

Didnt think he was the right appointment at the time and certainly not my chance. Last season we looked shambolic and had players who didnt give a fuck this season we have made some quality signings but for some un-apparant reason totally neglectic the full back posisitons, i think we gambled too much on our the ability of the wingers and when they are both injured it exposes the squad for what it is.

I have no problem with the signings we have made, diamond is not the player he was and its down to mcghee to find out what the problem is. Given Mcghee a fair chance to turn things around and i still have faith that once our squad is fully fit and we add a full back in january we will do well.

Injurys are not an excuse but we have had terrible luck on that front but we should have players that can step up to the plate. Really dissapointed with diamond this season there is no excuse for some of his mistakes.

Getting rid at Christmas is about how I feel although the January transfer window is pish for making any significant changes. The run till the summer will give the new guy time to assess his squad and possibly convince those out of contract, worth keeping, that they might want to stay.

At the minute I don't think McGhee has any confidence in his own abilities and his comments in the media are confused and desperate. Howard in because of the wind? Shock at Diamonds mistake after last weeks performance? Not worried at one point from fifteen? When you add to that to his signings, last seasons in terms of ability this seasons in terms of identifying requirements, tactical pig headedness, apparent inability to make the correct change during a game, lack of motivational abilities, and his luck he really doesn't have a lot going for him.

Fuck knows where we go, as a club, from here but I can only see it being backwards if McGhee remains the man in charge in the long term.

Quote from: Labirinth7 on April 12, 2010, 01:15:05 AM

This mess is completely the board of directors fault.  We had assembled a great squad in 06/07 which went on to finish 3rd.  They then cashed in to the first bidders and have chronically underinvested since. :-[ Its not MM or JC's fault.  The current predicament is a result of cutbacks to wages. 

I only wish that the board had given JC the near million quid it cost to repace him to spend on players last summer. I think we would then have been looking forward to europe again next season.

Déjà vu folks?

Yay. someone gets it!

This is the AFC way. If the rumblings of discontent get too loud. our intrepid board of directors take the short term option time and time again.  They sack the manager. Twenty years this has been the cycle of failure,

League position slips under current manager.

Red army get pissed off

board say they support the current emcumbment

Red army get more pissed off and moan louder about it

board say they support manager again BUT GIVE HIM NO MORE CASH TO WORK WITH

Relegation/embarassment looms. sacking

drag in new manager

Start at top

All this has been is a diversion from the utter ineptitude as to how this club is run.

So, he is therefore a scapegoat

This whole 'rumblings of discontent' thing is innaccurate I think. So a vocal minority were anti JC, so what? A vocal majority (or at least minority) are anti MM but that's not making up the board's mind. What we as fans think means absolutely fuck all to the board and it's frankly embarrassing to hear that people think our opinions matter to anyone in power. The whole argument about season ticket sales potentially dropping was fucking nonsense! we shed more fans last season than in any 12 month period i can remember, but that made no difference. Attendances are as low as they're going to get.

JC used the financial restrictions to point out that he wasn't being backed by the club, MM is using the financial restrictions to point out that the club (he) cannot do more with what resources are available. That's fucking bullshit but it's the type of bullshit Milne wants the manager of his failing business to be saying. The difference is subtle but it's all about PR and nothing to do with reality.

As to the OP, MM is here exactly because of what you are saying. He is someone who it's hard to get a unified opposition to, no matter what, because he's one of the very few people ever to do anything good for us. If MM wasn't our manager then how the alternative guy got treated by the board would depend on how brown his nose was. An 'outsider' would get less patience from the fans, but like I say, that means absolutely fucking nothing to the board. Say the right things, don't spend too much money. That's IT. anything else is fantasy football when it comes to AFC. Our problems are from the top to the bottom. They are not solely 1 man's fault. We need virtually every single employee of AFC to get to fuck before we have any hope of moving forward.

Manager lives and dies by results.  We haven't had anything that I'd regard as a "good result" this season.  We've dropped points in games we should be looking to take points from (Kilmarnock, ICT) and we haven't taken anything from "tough" games to prove we're anything other than an average SPL team (Dundee Utd, Rangers).

We haven't improved as a team under the new manager and you only need to look down the road at John Hughes getting sacked to see how far our standards have slipped in comparison to others.  In other words Hughes' record is unacceptable yet McGhee's is fine!?

Hibs are financially secure but their playing staff budget is no better than ours and their board is generally patient with their managers.

Manager lives and dies by results.  We haven't had anything that I'd regard as a "good result" this season.  We've dropped points in games we should be looking to take points from (Kilmarnock, ICT) and we haven't taken anything from "tough" games to prove we're anything other than an average SPL team (Dundee Utd, Rangers).

We haven't improved as a team under the new manager and you only need to look down the road at John Hughes getting sacked to see how far our standards have slipped in comparison to others.  In other words Hughes' record is unacceptable yet McGhee's is fine!?

Hibs are financially secure but their playing staff budget is no better than ours and their board is generally patient with their managers.

Bang on, you JC loving happy clapper  ;).

I don't really understand this, McGhee's biggest failing last season was his lack of quality signings. But he seems to have done better on that front this season, and if it wasn't for the crippling financial constraints (ie ridiculously small squad) we'd be doing ok. We all knew that this squad could barely cope with any injuries - we've suffered several to some of our brightest talents.

The reality is the spl is a level playing field from third down, we'll win games and we'll lose games. Today we lost a tricky away match at Inverness and we're all pissed off about it, but let's not get all menstrual about it and start protesting about managers again.

I suffered last season and hated most of it, I was a Jimmy fan after all, but I see plenty to be positive about again this season.

Stick with it lads, better times ahead.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well but the positivity is tempered with the knowledge that McGhee, despite making a few seemingly very good signings, simply has no idea at establishing a defence.   

JC used the financial restrictions to point out that he wasn't being backed by the club, MM is using the financial restrictions to point out that the club (he) cannot do more with what resources are available. That's fucking bullshit but it's the type of bullshit Milne wants the manager of his failing business to be saying. The difference is subtle but it's all about PR and nothing to do with reality.

Don't post on here a lot but I agree with this. My big problem with Mcghee is the way that he has used the resources. The squad is ridiculously overloaded with strikers so that we have relied on players playing out of position to provide us with any sort of width. The defensive situation is shambolic also. I am no great fan of foster but feel that to get rid of him for another striker was foolish when we had so much of them on the books already yet we are being forced to play Considine at LB. Hopefully things improve when we get most of our squad back but the actual squad it self is the main problem.

• 2 weeks later...