Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Derek Young has signed

Typical no money sighning yipee we were able to match what HAMILTON were about to offer him..

This is a huge step back along with selling Anderson (signed 2 defenders before they take peanuts for him stinks of greed there)

Why cant that greedy cunt Stewart Milne not get his hand in his pocket like Romanov, Murray and Thompson to name a few even Gretna are now leaving us behind..

I wouldnae go that far mate. Wiggy's nae greedy. He'd rather the Dons worked their own way out of debt, rather than pumping his own millions in and us expecting him to pump millions in every time we need help.

Just nae happy that we've gone and signed Young though. I pin this blame fully on JC, as he's the guy who took Young off our hands in the first place, and he's the guy who took him back. Milne's probably had very very little to do with this deal.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Willie Miller did not want Young back at todders and is nae happy with the signing - I can only think that JC's had too much solar rays in the middle east.  Still can't get over the fact that JC was allowed to sign the wee sheeeiiiiite - Saying that 15 goals next season and all will be forgiven :o

Whilst I agree that football clubs must be 'self financing' we, as Aberdeen supporters, must never forget the fact that under Stewart Milne our financial standing has slipped to horrible proportions, and the cost cutting was necessary to save out club.

Milne allowed the spending to go on, in what admittedly was, a ridiculous spending time for most Premier League clubs, but now he has refused (apart from being the guarantor for our debt) to help us out.

To even pay off the debt and let us pay him back at a more comfortable rate would dramatically help the club, and enable us to have a little bit of financial freedom to ensure that folk like Derek Young did not have to appear at the football club again.

Young's signing is a typical 'panic buy', where perhaps plucking a relative unknown from abroad or first division with a bit of promise, might have been a better route to go down. With more than a month of the transfer window still open, there was no need to jump into any signing.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478602&CPID=14&clid=60&lid=&title=Dons+boss+turns+to+Young

"I know exactly what type of player I'm bringing in and he's a winner," Calderwood told the Daily Record.

"He's a great character and will be popular and valuable addition to the squad. He's been very unlucky with injuries and his career went downhill in the last year or so.

"He was doing handstands when I offered him the chance to come back and I'm glad to have him aboard."

:hammer:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478602&CPID=14&clid=60&lid=&title=Dons+boss+turns+to+Young

"I know exactly what type of player I'm bringing in and he's a winner," Calderwood told the Daily Record.

"He's a great character and will be popular and valuable addition to the squad. He's been very unlucky with injuries and his career went downhill in the last year or so.

"He was doing handstands when I offered him the chance to come back and I'm glad to have him aboard."

:hammer:

Ah yes, he played in those great winning teams that we had when we finished bottom of the SPL, sometimes appeared Dunfermline's great winning team in the bottom 6, and sporadically appeared in that memorable Partick Thistle team that romped home to 7th in last season's First Division... He's a fucking loser, who should be nowhere near ANY SPL team, let alone one with aspirations/delusions of qualifying for Europe.

I used to work in Sainsburys when the Dungs were in Aberdeen. You used to see them in their matching chavvy white tracksuits, dripping with "gold" jewellery, acting like your stereotypical arrogant twat footballers. They were big headed cunts with little justification for being so back then, and i'd be surprised if much has changed now. But still, at least Mackie and Hart like him.

Also, Sheepheid, i wouldn't hold your breath. He's just about broken the 30 goal barrier in his career (http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=14940 - not taking into account his 7 or 8 for Thistle last season). I would think you'll get long odds on him getting half that in one season.

Ah yes, he played in those great winning teams that we had when we finished bottom of the SPL, sometimes appeared Dunfermline's great winning team in the bottom 6, and sporadically appeared in that memorable Partick Thistle team that romped home to 7th in last season's First Division...

MT, I'll grant you those points but wasn't he also here the last time we qualified for European play?

Ah yes, he played in those great winning teams that we had when we finished bottom of the SPL, sometimes appeared Dunfermline's great winning team in the bottom 6, and sporadically appeared in that memorable Partick Thistle team that romped home to 7th in last season's First Division...

MT, I'll grant you those points but wasn't he also here the last time we qualified for European play?

Was the last time when we finished bottom of the SPL and got horsed in 2 cup finals, thus letting us into Europe? If so, i think he was...

Edit: Just checked, and that was 99/00 season, (which led to Bohemians...) rather than the last time we qualified by finishing 4th.

I wouldnae go that far mate. Wiggy's nae greedy. He'd rather the Dons worked their own way out of debt, rather than pumping his own millions in and us expecting him to pump millions in every time we need help.

Others manage it like Thompson, Murray, Romanov, Mileson to name a few

also if you had well over £200 million would you at least pay off the debt that we owe..

Just nae happy that we've gone and signed Young though. I pin this blame fully on JC, as he's the guy who took Young off our hands in the first place, and he's the guy who took him back. Milne's probably had very very little to do with this deal.

I blame it on Milne as well as JC because its all he could manage to buy on Milne,s budget of peanuts..

I blame it on Milne as well as JC because its all he could manage to buy on Milne,s budget of peanuts..

Of course it's partly down to lack of funds available. But, and this is the most important part, it's down to JC's breathtaking shortsightedness when it comes to signings. I really thought we'd seen the last of this type of signing when we'd done well to get McNamara and De Visscher... this is a truly awful signing. The guy would go into my worst ever Dons XI.

Guest kilahun

Worst signing ever!!!!!  Right up ther with Brian O'neil

Does this signing mean that JC thinks Maguire isn't ready yet for more games???  I hope not!

Right lets see what DY has to say in his RedTV interview

• Its like playing for Dunfermline  >:D
  • Definitely stronger squad 8)  
  • The first division isnt that bad :o  
  • Definitely surprised he got the call :-\
  • Was willing to walk up to get the contract :thumbsup:
  • Not got anything to prove :o:hammer:  
  • Had a laugh at Jimmys 'formations' :thumbsup:
  • Behind in games
  • Not expecting to start in the first team  ;D

Guest dundee_red

Right lets see what DY has to say in his RedTV interview

• Its like playing for Dunfermline  >:D
  • Definitely stronger squad 8)  
  • The first division isnt that bad :o  
  • Definitely surprised he got the call :-\
  • Was willing to walk up to get the contract :thumbsup:
  • Not got anything to prove :o:hammer:  
  • Had a laugh at Jimmys 'formations' :thumbsup:
  • Behind in games
  • Not expecting to start in the first team  ;D

Well, at least if his football career doesn't work out, he's always got his comedy to fall back on.  ???

Behind in games

Not expecting to start in the first team

Yeah, not exactly the sort of things you want to admit. So he admits he's had a lazy summer when he COULD'VE been trying his best to get himself in-shape to win a contract that's a club that's a bit bigger and better than Hamilton Accies. Kind of sets the tone for what he has accepted as his level.

And not expecting to start in the first team. Excuse me, Derek. But I'd expect EVERY player at the club to WANT AND EXPECT a place in the starting lineup. If you are not hacked off at not having a place in the starting eleven, then you obviously don't have the fight to challenge those players who are being picked ahead of you. I've got massive respect for Darren Mackie, as he got dropped, and then worked his ass off to get back into first-team contention. He dropped a whole load of bad habits and got his head down and stuck in to bringing his level back up to an acceptable standard. If Young's taking a place on the bench as being "enough". then he is not good enough to be at the club ... again!

Motherwell fan at work announced Calderwood has left and McLeish your new manager as I arrived at work for a backshift a couple of weeks ago. I was  :ooh:???, then he lol and said "Aye on footie manager!!" ....  ::)

Few days ago... same scene... and this time he announced we had signed Derek Young... I  ::), laughed and replied "Aye on footie manager!".

I seriously thought he was trying to extract the urine, sadly not  :o

Wages should have been spent on a new goalie

im not really a pessimist but ive sadly come to the conclusion that the reason we don't perform on certain days is due to fact we are not signing SPL worthy players. Derek Young just backs this up. He's one in a list of players wasting wages (bar a few e.g. Seve). And also Jimmy took Young on the assumption that he trys 100%. Im afraid at the Locos game the young boys (even Maguire) were playing and trying 4 times harder than Young.

Jimmy took Young on the assumption that he trys 100%

This is not a reason to sign a player. I would give more than 100% to the Dons. But I'm the first to admit I'd be shite, regardless of how much effort I put in. If Young always gives 100%, yet still ends up drifting between St Johnstone and Partick Thistle for a year, something tells me he ain't SPL quality, and is struggling to persuade even clubs in the first division that he's worthy of a contract!!

Jimmy took Young on the assumption that he trys 100%

This is not a reason to sign a player. I would give more than 100% to the Dons. But I'm the first to admit I'd be shite, regardless of how much effort I put in. If Young always gives 100%, yet still ends up drifting between St Johnstone and Partick Thistle for a year, something tells me he ain't SPL quality, and is struggling to persuade even clubs in the first division that he's worthy of a contract!!

This was exactly what i was thinking and many others are thinking this also but it seems JC is from a different planet than the rest of us..

From my p.o.v. the Derek Young argument is the same as the Richie Byrne argument. I'll never slag anyone who gives 100% for the shirt, god knows we've all seen guys come in and look like they couldn't be arsed. Ultimately though it's a quality v effort argument, and at this stage we should be looking at players who will provide both, which DY sadly does not.

Ultimately though it's a quality v effort argument, and at this stage we should be looking at players who will provide both, which DY sadly does not.

True. I'm not doubting the fact that he does give 100% effort. I recognise that from his original stint with us. But his 100% is unfortunately still not good enough to hide the fact that he just doesn't have the quality that the Aberdeen fans of 2007 expect from their club. Maybe 1997 we would've accepted this, but not any more!