Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Potential 100 targets

Guest donindundonald

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope he's better than his old man was for us (89 League Cup Semi goal aside), he had a heart the size of a pea.

Fecking hell Bobby, every day is a school day.

Certainly never knew that :o

Cannae say that there is much meat on those bones to pick o'er.

dinnae really fancy taking any of them to Pittodrie

• 4 weeks later...
Players are rushing to join Aberdeen FC

Mark McGhee won’t be hurried into deals

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 27/05/2010

MANAGER Mark McGhee today revealed he has been swamped by offers from players desperate to join Aberdeen FC.

McGhee admitted he is “astonished” by the interest shown since it became known he hopes to bring in at least eight new faces this summer to Aberdeen FC.

“We have been swamped by faxes and calls from agents urging us to sign their players,” said McGhee.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express or read our digital edition now.

Maybe it's time for a different approach?

Instead of

McGhee to player "Here son, want to sign for AFC?"

Player response "Aye why no"

McGhee to P&J et al "We are in talks with John Doe who is keen to come to AFC"

McGhee to agent "We want to sign yer boy"

agent to McGhee "Ok we'll no be hard to deal with"

3 weeks

agent "We've got other interest we want £silly per week or you can gtf"

McGhee to press "John Doe is out of our wages structure"

Why does McGhee not just place several adverts in the press/comics/lads mags that players read

WANTED: Players for Aberdeen FC in the following positions.......must be able to recognise a football, teammates and the goal. Wages £xxxx per week NON-NEGOTIABLE

Have say a 3 week closing date then hold trials (Interviews to you or I), then offet the "jobs" to the players he decides are good enough.

Surely to fuck if employers in the real world can work this system then why not football?

At any rate could we do any worse than we appear to be in terms of recruitment

Due diligence seems to be his new catchphrase...

What's the checklist on this:

Financial Information

Wants paying a wage

Products

Mediocre footballing skills

Competition

Plenty of alternatives, none as cheap or as stupid

Marketing

None of our customers will have experience of, so can be talked up before reaching the inevitable un-marketability.

Development

Possibly might develop, but that will have no impact on AFC as will be let go for free or nominal amount after two years.

Assets

Own football boots

Blonde Bird

BMW X5

• 2 weeks later...

I see McGhee is in the press saying the club are being used like a pawn in the agents chess game and there is not a lot of action at the moment.

We're actually more like a prawn, plunging the depths and picking up all the shit.

Dons on trail of a Rangers attacker

soham town rangers, that is, but prolific young forward is also attracting interest from celtic

Published: 16/06/2010

Aberdeen are on the trail of 18-year-old Soham Town Rangers attacker Dubi Ogbonna, with manager Mark McGhee preparing to take a closer look at the youngster on trial in pre-season.

The highly-rated non-league forward has also been touted as being of interest to Celtic following a successful season for the Southern League Division 1 Midlands club in England.

The former Cambridge United and Southend United player scored 20 goals in 41 appearances last term.

Soham manager Ian Benjamin expects the player to head for Scotland for pre-season training next month.

He is resigned to losing Ogbonna and is confident the teenager could make the leap from non-league football to the SPL.

Benjamin said: “There’s a bit of interest in Dubi from Celtic and Aberdeen.

“He’s had a few trial games and caught people’s eyes, so he probably could go up to one of those clubs on trial in pre-season.

“If he does get the opportunity then it will be a reflection of how much he improved with us last season. You don’t score 20 goals at our level as a young lad who has never played men’s football before if you’re not a good player.”

Meanwhile midfielder Paul Marshall has confirmed his departure from Aberdeen after signing for English League 1 side Walsall.

The 20-year-old moved to the Granite City in January when the Dons took over the final six months of his contract at Manchester City.

But he failed to make much of an impact at Pittodrie after initially impressing.

The England youth international drifted away from the first team and was not offered a new deal in the Granite City.

Marshall is looking forward to a fresh challenge and said: “Working under Chris Hutchings will be good for my development. He has managed at the highest level.

“I am delighted to come here and have the opportunity to play at a good level.

“I’ve already played at a good standard in the Scottish Premier League and the Championship, plus I’ve been to the World Cup with England under-20s.

“I am looking forward to the challenge League 1 presents as the standard of teams at this level is high.”

Hutchings is delighted with his capture.

He said: “We’re really pleased to have Paul on board.

“He is a player who has been on our radar for quite some time and we’re delighted he’s agreed to come to us.

“Our chief scout, David Hamilton, watched him on numerous occasions last season and I have seen him at close quarters.

“Paul is a talented young player and I am very much looking forward to working with him.”