🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Potential 100 targets

Guest donindundonald

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went to firhill today and suffice to say i didnt know what was happening

First half was 90% caley all out attac with Rooney and Foran ripping Partick a new one. Particks keeper made 4 extremely good saves but had no chance with the goal. Was 1-0 going on 5 at halftime

Then in the second half Partick stormed back and it was end to end stuff. Last ditch defending by both teams but Caley managed to hold on.

£16 to watch a game full of the sort of attacking football that I havent seen in the SPL for years.

Anyway Rooney looked good but particks defenders were a shambles. I dont think he will be as effective against even shite SPL defenders like our. If hes free then yes please but only if hes free

Agreed. £16 for a 1st Division game?? Daylight robbery!

Might not be rooney, could be foran or hayes who I would take happily at the moment.

Foran's a friggin timebomb. Maybe he's calmed down a bit now. But with McGhee's squad having a very high tendency for being sent-off, I cannae see Foran lasting any longer on the park at Aberdeen than yer regular run-of-the-mill Nigel Pepper.

went to firhill today and suffice to say i didnt know what was happening

First half was 90% caley all out attac with Rooney and Foran ripping Partick a new one. Particks keeper made 4 extremely good saves but had no chance with the goal. Was 1-0 going on 5 at halftime

Then in the second half Partick stormed back and it was end to end stuff. Last ditch defending by both teams but Caley managed to hold on.

£16 to watch a game full of the sort of attacking football that I havent seen in the SPL for years.

Anyway Rooney looked good but particks defenders were a shambles. I dont think he will be as effective against even shite SPL defenders like our. If hes free then yes please but only if hes free

Bit surprised by your post, I assume you have posted under that name for years on the various forums and always found your posts to be pretty balanced.....then you revert to the typical SPL is not attacking stereotype when folk watch division one games or lower league games I have noticed folk doing it. Even as an Adeen fan in the past few weeks you would presumably have seen a 4-4 epic against celtic but you haven't seen the sort of attacking football produced in a 1-0 win at firhill in years?

Bit surprised by your post, I assume you have posted under that name for years on the various forums and always found your posts to be pretty balanced.....then you revert to the typical SPL is not attacking stereotype when folk watch division one games or lower league games I have noticed folk doing it. Even as an Adeen fan in the past few weeks you would presumably have seen a 4-4 epic against celtic but you haven't seen the sort of attacking football produced in a 1-0 win at firhill in years?

I stand by my review.

What may be a factor is I didnt care what the result was but if you can provide evidence of non-stop end to end attacks in matches against the likes of Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Falkirk etc then Im all ears

A 4-4 game in which from the radio coverage we appeared dead and buried at 4-2 until celtic gave us a penalty and then they panicked is not the same as 2 teams (1 of which had nothing to play for) just pounding each others defences the entire game. Esson only had to make 1 real save but only due to last ditch clearances, tackles, bad luck by the partick strikers. Partick keeper was on fire which was fortunate because his defenders werent. And despite holding on at 1-0 I dont recall a single time that Caley time wasted. If the ball went out or went dead it was back in play within a matter of seconds. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY there were no little fucking pussies diving or rolling about on the deck feigning injury after a slightly late challenge.

My DIRECT experience of SPL football this season (IE matches ive paid an average of £21! to see) have been long punts up the field, with long spells of the ball trapped in the middle of the park with neither team taking control, players taking an aternity at set pieces ( a large chunk caused by someone crying on the deck because he stubbed his toe), and fuck all goal scoring chances.

But of course next sunday it will all be different at Rugby park  ::)

I don't follow. You would expect to pay... Less?... More?

should be paying less. I'd even argue that to an extent £16 is probably nearer the price we should be paying for SPL football. £16 for the second tier in a country the size of Scotland is ripping the piss out of the fans.

The 100 has to be revised down. In the Scotland in Sunday interview he said it was a list of 60, and we know one of those was Jamie Smith. No matter at how bad WM is at running chippers he is not going to let MM sign Smith as he is far too injury prone. That leaves us with 59

The 100 has to be revised down. In the Scotland in Sunday interview he said it was a list of 60, and we know one of those was Jamie Smith. No matter at how bad WM is at running chippers he is not going to let MM sign Smith as he is far too injury prone. That leaves us with 59

Add to that Considine coming back from injury, that's another as he'll be "like a new signing", Grimmer and any other young player that comes through the ranks and of course Maguire coming back from loan.

Joe Cole still hasn't signed a contract at Chelsea so I guess he'll be in there too.

Mark McGhee’s Bank Holiday weekend will be anything but relaxing as the Aberdeen manager plans to step up his search for new players.

The Dons travel to Kilmarnock on Easter Sunday, but McGhee will take advantage of the fixture list in England to hit the road on a spying mission.

He intends to watch four matches in as many days, not including his own side’s SPL encounter, on both sides of the border.

McGhee has a dossier which features the profiles of more than 60 players who are out-of-contract and are within Aberdeen’s wage range and the manager is determined to do his homework.

The manager will need to recruit around 10 new players for the start of next season and said: “I will be down south for a couple of games on Friday and then back up to see a match in Scotland on Saturday before our game at Kilmarnock on Sunday.

“Then I will be heading down to England again on Monday. There is no point in me going to games just for the sake of it.

“I will be going places where there are players I know we are able to get.

“It is a case of doing the due diligence at the moment and making sure we get it right in the summer.â€

McGhee has been euphemistically told he has to be creative with his budget, which, translated, means he has no money for transfer fees and constraints on wages.

He will be rummaging around the bargain basements of the English lower leagues looking for value for money, but has not ruled out shopping within his own borders.

The Scottish market has its own constraints, however, and McGhee knows the pitfalls.

He said: “There are loads of players in Scotland who could do a job for us, but the problems we face is most of them are under contract and we cannot afford them.

“That goes for players in the First Division, let alone in the SPL.â€

McGhee is an admirer of the Caley Thistle forward Adam Rooney – he watched him for a second time in the Highand derby against Ross County on Tuesday – but a move to Pittodrie is nigh on impossible.

The 21-year-old Irish attacker is under contract at the Caledonian Stadium until the summer of 2011 and the Caley Jags are unlikely to part with the player for less than double the £50,000 they paid to Stoke City in 2008.

The notion there are any contracted players at Pittodrie who are prepared to be used as collateral to go in the other direction is fanciful.

The form of Rooney’s teammates Richie Foran and Jonny Hayes has not gone unnoticed either.

Both are out of contract in the summer.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1670953#ixzz0jwmMV2nQ

• 4 weeks later...
O’Brien blow for Aberdeen FC

Well winger agrees to join Barnsley

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 30/04/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today warned Jim O’Brien is unlikely to be the only top transfer target he misses out on.

McGhee admitted he is “disappointed†Motherwell winger O’Brien has rejected the chance to sign for Aberdeen FC in favour of a move to Barnsley.

The 21-year-old, who McGhee had been chasing since last summer, has agreed a three year contract with the Tykes.

McGhee predicted O’Brien won’t be the last top SPL player to quit the top league in Scotland for the lower levels in England over the next few months

Championship team though. Money speaks.

True, get paid a lot for relegation scrap in championship, or get paid peanuts for relegation scrap in the SPL?

At least in the Championship if he stands out and Barnsley get relegated he will get picked up by another Championship side offering even more money the following season.

Guest ally s

True, get paid a lot for relegation scrap in championship, or get paid peanuts for relegation scrap in the SPL?

Can I borrow your crystal ball please?