Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Celtic

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ajja - Mulgrew and Diamond are two of the players reported to be rested, along with Aluko, Kerr and McDonald.

Ouch.

Would have no worries about Kerr and McDonald but Mulgrew and Diamond are the two players who almost always perform against Celtic. We really would be playing an experimental side if we moved all these guys off the team sheet at once. Looks like a Young-Duff combo in the centre of the park, look out Scott Brown!

Guest rocket debris

Surely the idea of a "weakened" side is all subjective? What i may think is a weakened side you may think is actually a stronger side.  We have a squad of players eligible to play in the league, MM can use that squad as and when he sees fit. It's not as if he'll be fielding the under 14s.

Nail, onion bag. It is impossible for the SPL to effectively pursue AFC for punishment for two reasons. They, like the SFA are full of shit and couldn't present a case articulately whatever the subject matter and second, how can they prove that any team MM puts out is "weaker"? The whole debate about seeking to "punish" Mick McCarthy or Aberdeen is flawed. It's the club's business and theirs only. If a manager set out to undermine his own club, he wouldn't last long. Pity this got out in the press though. McGhee should have just shut the fuck up and put out who he wanted and rested the likes of Paton, Fyvie, Diamond, Aluko, Foster because of the more important fixture next week and "rested"/dropped Langfield to see how Nelson does. Kerr and McDonald are overdue a benching anyway.

Getting away from the fact that certain members of the team need dropping for performance issues, and ignoring whether three days before an important cup replay would be the correct time to do this.

If McGhee hasn't said this, it's the Glasgow press trying (not so subtly) to put pressure on us to beat the tims. If he has said it, it smacks of nothing more than getting the excuses in early. "Resting" players is a nonsense, full-stop. If professional athletes, and I feel I should highlight the word athlete as McGhee was only last week commenting that he had inherited a squad of athletes rather than footballers, can't play three 90 minute games of football in a week, there is something wrong somewhere.

I'm sure I read somewhere, only last week, that the 35 year old Paul Scholes had requested not to be "rested" as it was difficult to settle into a rhythm and keep that match sharpness.

Guest rocket debris

If professional athletes, and I feel I should highlight the word athlete as McGhee was only last week commenting that he had inherited a squad of athletes rather than footballers, can't play three 90 minute games of football in a week, there is something wrong somewhere.

I'm sure I read somewhere, only last week, that the 35 year old Paul Scholes had requested not to be "rested" as it was difficult to settle into a rhythm and keep that match sharpness.

Agree. The world's gone nuts when young men can't play fitba three times a week.

Guest rocket debris

McDonald, Kerr and Mulgrew have been carrying small knocks for the past couple of games or so, that's why he's thinking of resting them.

Which is fair enough. Wonder how all this started? Is McGhee too "honest" for all our own good by reason of stupidity or shit stirring by weegie press? Can hardly think it would be the latter all on its own without some degree of utterance by the former.

Nail, onion bag. It is impossible for the SPL to effectively pursue AFC for punishment for two reasons. They, like the SFA are full of shit and couldn't present a case articulately whatever the subject matter and second, how can they prove that any team MM puts out is "weaker"? The whole debate about seeking to "punish" Mick McCarthy or Aberdeen is flawed. It's the club's business and theirs only. If a manager set out to undermine his own club, he wouldn't last long. Pity this got out in the press though. McGhee should have just shut the fuck up and put out who he wanted and rested the likes of Paton, Fyvie, Diamond, Aluko, Foster because of the more important fixture next week and "rested"/dropped Langfield to see how Nelson does. Kerr and McDonald are overdue a benching anyway.

If it gives Celtic a false sense of security and lifts the pressure off the team ahead of a couple of big games then I'm OK with it being made public. Getting up the scum's collective noses is an added bonus  ;)

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is refusing to speak to the media after newspaper speculation suggested he will field a weakened side against Celtic.

Various newspapers reported that McGhee was set to rest some players in Saturday's league clash ahead of facing Raith on Tuesday in the Scottish Cup.

McGhee is angry at the claims and has refused to speak to the media.

The Dons take on Celtic at Pittodrie before facing Raith in their fifth-round replay at the same venue.

Aberdeen, currently sixth in the table and out of the Co-operative Insurance Cup, scored a late equaliser against Rovers last weekend to force a replay.

Guest rocket debris

Since when has Saturday to Saturday been a week?

Sorry Pedantactilious Gigantum. I just thought if I said 114.3% of a week, the others might have got confused.

Since when has Saturday to Saturday been a week?

Did we not play at 1500 last Saturday and will be playing at 1230 this Saturday, therefore the players will be finished playing at approx. 1415?

That's supposing we are purely classing a week as seven days rather than Monday through Sunday. Then again my Granny used to always tell me the first day of the week was Sunday?

Guest rocket debris

Even then it is 45 mins short of 8 days from start of first game to end of third game.

So that would mean a week would be Sunday to Saturday. A week is 7 days.

45 minutes short of 8 days? No way man. 40 max.

Guest rocket debris

A week is 10080 minutes.

From the start of the Raith game, to the end of the Celtic game is 10035 minutes.

As 10035 < 10080, there are 3 games in less than a week.

::)

Lol. Add 1,440 to that number for the day you missed, another 5 for 20 minutes at half time and another 5 minutes for stoppage time.

EH?

Day 1

Saturday 1500 - Sunday 1459.59...

Day 2

Sunday 1500 - Monday 1459.59...

Day 3

Monday 1500 - Tuesday 1459.59...

Day 4

Tuesday 1500 - Wednesday 1459.59...

Day 5

Wednesday 1500 - Thursday 1459.59...

Day 6

Thursday 1500 - Friday 1459.59...

Day 7

Friday 1500 - Saturday 1459.59...

What am I missing?

As rs said, shutting the fuck up and playing what team he wants, as is his right, would have happened probably without much comment though the alleged players that could be missing is a little bit concerning.

If he "rests" players and we get a demoralising arse reaming then he'll get pelters, rightly. If he gets kinda away with a battling defeat/draw/victory he'll be vindicated.

It's good having a manager that's media savvy.