Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Celtic

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee has revealed he may rest five players for the league game against Celtic ahead of next week's Scottish Cup replay against Raith Rovers. (Various)

Haven't seen a paper this morning, so not sure to make of this? admittedly, I think the Raith is far bigger in terms of our season, but don't think we should ever be resting players at home against the OF. McGhee lying down the Celtic?  ;)

Anyway

IN/OUT: out

Pre-match: work

Match: a pub

Post-match: Not sure, out at night, but the temptation is to stay out all day  :P

Prediction: 2-0 Celtic.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it's not just me thats pissed off at McGhee...

Fuming Rangers fans' chief John Macmillan today called on the SPL to take action against Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee if he fields a weakened team against Celtic tomorrow.

Gers supporters are incensed after former Celtic striker McGhee revealed he would rest some of his top-team stars against his old club in ESPN's live televised match at Pittodrie.

The Dons boss reckons it is more important for his side to be at full strength in their Active Nation Scottish Cup fifth-round replay against Raith Rovers on Tuesday night.

But followers of the Ibrox club, currently eight points ahead of their Old Firm rivals in the SPL, feel if he leaves his leading stars out it will make a mockery of the division.

Walter Smith's side dropped three points when they lost 1-0 to an Aberdeen team featuring all their best players on their last trip to Pittodrie back in November.

And Macmillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters' Association, feels the governing body would be entitled to punish McGhee for his controversial actions.

He said: "I am very unhappy about this, but not surprised.

"Since he was appointed Aberdeen manager, Mark McGhee has mentioned Celtic in his comments to the media on numerous occasions. He was foolish enough to say Celtic was his first love when he was appointed.

"I would have thought Aberdeen's top priority this season was to finish in the top six. If he fields a weakened team he is jeopardising that. I don't imagine Aberdeen fans will be very happy with their manager.

"I am not a biased or bigoted person whatsoever, but the number of times McGhee has mentioned Celtic since he has been appointed Aberdeen boss does make you wonder."

Macmillan added: "There is no doubt in my mind that the SPL should look at this and take action if he does field a weakened team."

McGhee believes the SPL meeting with Tony Mowbray's title-cashing Celtic team is less important to his team than their replay with Raith next week.

He said: "We do not necessarily have to beat Celtic to finish fourth in the SPL and make Europe. We do have to beat Raith in the cup.

"We need our strongest squad to be fit for Tuesday so I will need to be careful who I pick."

Some hun cunt:

"I would have thought Aberdeen's top priority this season was to finish in the top six. If he fields a weakened team he is jeopardising that. I don't imagine Aberdeen fans will be very happy with their manager.

Doesn't matter a jot what you think our priority should be.  The Aberdeen manager has to do what he thinks is best for Aberdeen FC. And going by some of the players who may be rested - thinking specifically of Kerr and McDonald  - many would say we're actually strengthening the side.

"I am not a biased or bigoted person whatsoever

Well you are obviously biased towards the vermin otherwise you wouldn't be saying this. who mentioned bigotry?  it protests too much.

Firstly, the filthy hun fuck MacMillan can do one.

I fail to see how the SPL can punish us IF McGhee does field a weakened side tomorrow.  The OF do it all the time when they've wrapped the league up with a few games to spare. 

Firstly, the filthy hun fuck MacMillan can do one.

I fail to see how the SPL can punish us IF McGhee does field a weakened side tomorrow.  The OF do it all the time when they've wrapped the league up with a few games to spare.

Surely the idea of a "weakened" side is all subjective? What i may think is a weakened side you may think is actually a stronger side.  We have a squad of players eligible to play in the league, MM can use that squad as and when he sees fit. It's not as if he'll be fielding the under 14s.

I know that BB but we all know what'll happen should McGhee drop the likes of Kerr etc. They'll be howling from the rooftops down Govan way.

As you've already said, McGhee is doing what he feels is in the best interests of AFC. Anyone outside AFC who disagrees with that can fuck right off.

I know that BB but we all know what'll happen should McGhee drop the likes of Kerr etc. They'll be howling from the rooftops down Govan way.

As you've already said, McGhee is doing what he feels is in the best interests of AFC. Anyone outside AFC who disagrees with that can fuck right off.

That lot howl at the moon most nights anyway...

I think this might well be the best outcome for us in some ways.

Celtic are likely to take us even more for granted than they might have done already.

We have a history of doing reasonably well against stronger sides with a 'speculative 11'. Will depend on who he rests and more importantly who he brings in.

With Celtic coming at us but not quite sure who each other are and how they play as a team and us having some young, aggressive players on the park that might test Celtics rearguard we might just have a chance. Oh and big Zander weighing in with a Goliathesque performance and Mulgrew pinging in free kicks!

Makes me fucking ill how the OF are so utterly focused on each other that they think everything that goes on with any other club is either for or against them. Referees are all either 'masons' or 'papes', every club in the league is either a hun team or a green team, often both depending on who they are playing. You'd think these pricks were the the fucking axis the earth turns on  :hammer: :hammer:

Guest leith_red

Ajja - Mulgrew and Diamond are two of the players reported to be rested, along with Aluko, Kerr and McDonald.

Who are we planning on playing at centre half then?  Ifil and......?

What a compliment from hun towers - they rate us so highly that they feel their title rests upon us taking points off Celtic at a place where they havn't won for years. Cheers lads. From a purely pragmatic point of view McGhee has every right to field a weakened team, the game against Raith is of far greater importance to us than another pumping at the hands of the green half of evil. We can finish higher up the league without beating Celtic, but we can't win the cup without beating Raith Rovers.

If the SPL wish to open an enormous can of worms by punishing us for this then fine, as long as they are watching like hawks the minute the Old Firm step out of line in a similar fashion. The likelyhood of such a scenario is of course as high as a Rangers victory at Pittodrie. And before they mention it: of course we wouldn't do this against Rangers. Our level of hatred for them is crearly so great that no Dons manager of sound mind or body would forgo nother oppurtunity to humiliate them once again. To suggest this is McGhee pandering to Celtic is nonsensical.

Now watch us get hammered in the next two games  ;)