Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Calderwood for Dundee United

I would argue that the ability to articulate when dealing with the media, board of directors and players is a big part of the job.  One of my biggest hang ups about calderwood was his talking pish in the media, some would say what has this to do with the job?  Well players listen to press releases just like the rest of us, hard to take someone serioulsy when they drivel pish in the media all the time because they clearly like the sound of their own voice.  Levein has done a lot more at utd than just manage the team, i dont care what the league standings say when it came to a head to head between the two he is the more talented by quite a distance.  I for one would laugh my ass off if JC took the utd job, a good friend of mine is an arab and he is shitting it that jc is going to  get the job

Some questions:

1. Name me a manager who doesn't speak pish to the media? They all do it.

2. What has Levein done at Untied other than manage the team? I'm pretty sure that's all he's done.

3. What do you consider to be the factors that make Levein "the more talented by quite a distance"? I'd agree that JC never seemed to find a way to get his team to cope with any of his teams, but I don't think that makes him much better at all.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said anything about me "having the authority" to say we didn't deserve Europe? Read again, and you'll see I said "most of us will agree we were punching well above our weight".

Take a look at the following thread, which was the buildup thread to the final game of last season:

http://www.donstalk.co.uk/messageboard/index.php/topic,8660.0.html

Certainly nowhere near a clear-cut consensus that we were deserving of the last Euro placing going into the Hibs game.

And as for the JC losing interest comments, again cast your mind back to December/January 2008 when rumours were going around about JC's disgruntlement at AFC. Infact, I'll do the work for you:

http://www.donstalk.co.uk/messageboard/index.php/topic,1906.60.html

Now, couple his eventual re-negotiation in January with the following statistics immediately following JC's decision to sign a new contract ...

Scottish Premier    Dundee Utd    3-0    Aberdeen    19-01-2008

Scottish Premier    Aberdeen    0-1    Hearts    26-01-2008

Scottish FA Cup    Aberdeen    1-0    Hamilton    02-02-2008

Scottish League Cup    Aberdeen    1-4    Dundee Utd    05-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Aberdeen    1-5    Celtic    10-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Hibernian    3-1    Aberdeen    17-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Kilmarnock    3-1    Aberdeen    24-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Aberdeen    1-1    Motherwell    27-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Rangers    3-1    Aberdeen    01-03-2008

Scottish FA Cup    Aberdeen    1-1    Celtic    09-03-2008

One win in ten domestic games! Hardly inspirational stuff from a man who'd been spouting his disgruntlement about AFC just days before signing a new contract.

You also said we didn't deserve it. Total and utter bollocks. At least I have the authority to say that.

We didn't deserve it!

We made no changes to our team whatsoever, so the same players that rallied right at the very end of the season to get us into Europe at the last hurdle were exactly the same players who grabbed one win in ten domestic fixtures following New Year. If the players can't get motivated for a League Cup semi-final against arch-enemies Dundee United, then we deserve fuckall.

I would've been happy to give the Euro position up last season to another team. Yes we finished in 4th place, but we did NOT deserve it. In the same way Rangers didn't deserve the majority of their wins in the 2003/04 season (Klos was a one-man army for them that season), based on our overall performances throughout the entire season we did not deserve to get 4th place in 2008/09 - despite the fact that we did!

We didn't deserve it!

We made no changes to our team whatsoever, so the same players that rallied right at the very end of the season to get us into Europe at the last hurdle were exactly the same players who grabbed one win in ten domestic fixtures following New Year. If the players can't get motivated for a League Cup semi-final against arch-enemies Dundee United, then we deserve fuckall.

I would've been happy to give the Euro position up last season to another team. Yes we finished in 4th place, but we did NOT deserve it. In the same way Rangers didn't deserve the majority of their wins in the 2003/04 season (Klos was a one-man army for them that season), based on our overall performances throughout the entire season we did not deserve to get 4th place in 2008/09 - despite the fact that we did!

we finished 4th. the 4th best team in Scotland. I fail to see where you are struggling to understand this. Over a 38 game (yes, 38 games) we gained enough points to finish fourth, which was enough to gain a UEFA Cup spot. Please explain where I am going wrong.

We didn't deserve it!

Total nonsense.

So by that manner: do you honestly believe England deserved to beat Scotland in Euro96, even though they scored one more than us?

Do you honestly believe Brazil deserved to beat Scotland in France98, even though they scored one more than us (courtesy of Tommy Boyd)?

Statistics say we finished 4th place last year. There's no way in hell we were the 4th best team in the league last season!

So by that manner: do you honestly believe England deserved to beat Scotland in Euro96, even though they scored one more than us?

Do you honestly believe Brazil deserved to beat Scotland in France98, even though they scored one more than us (courtesy of Tommy Boyd)?

Statistics say we finished 4th place last year. There's no way in hell we were the 4th best team in the league last season!

Wtf the fuck are you on?

We managed to finish 4th in the league, which translates to us being the 4th best team in the country, which means we deserved 4th in the league.

Which part don't you understand?

And if we didn't deserve 4th, where did we deserve? and who then deserved 4th? and why?

Answers on one page of A4 please, Times New Roman, 14pt, 1.5 spacing....

Yes, yes and wtf? 38 fucking games Reekie, pull your head out your cretinous arse for a wee while eh?

wooah! it's just an opinion. Sorry mate. Sorry for giving an opinion on a DISCUSSION forum! I have an opinion that differs from yours ... therefore I'm a "fucking cretin".

You're awesome, mate :wanker:

Indeed, a completely ridiculous statement, which I apologise for.

Some questions:

1. Name me a manager who doesn't speak pish to the media? They all do it.

2. What has Levein done at Untied other than manage the team? I'm pretty sure that's all he's done.

3. What do you consider to be the factors that make Levein "the more talented by quite a distance"? I'd agree that JC never seemed to find a way to get his team to cope with any of his teams, but I don't think that makes him much better at all.

Right soz for delay.

Answer to one, of course no manager is perfect with their dealings with the press but JC is in a completely different league to levein.  I remember when lafferty got mulgrew sent off, jc afterwards said of the incident "well charlies an honest lad and he's come off saying he's not touched him but you know big kyle he's an honest player too"  Compare that to the rant levein went on when utd got screwed at ibrox.

Point 2.  Levein has been the director of football at utd for a good few seasons now and has completely changed the clubs infastructure at pretty much every level.

Point 3.  To be honest dave i just really like the way levein goes about his business.  He's shrewd tactically, has the eye for a player, is a very good man manager and has a good record with youth development.  I cant really say these things about calderwood

Point 3.  To be honest dave i just really like the way levein goes about his business.  He's shrewd tactically, has the eye for a player, is a very good man manager and has a good record with youth development.  I cant really say these things about calderwood

Probably because youth development isn't/wasn't his job, very much the remit of the director of football, different structures and all that, bigger club and all that.

I'm very much struck with the amount of knowledge people have of Levein's record. Conspicuous by it's absence is his English league record.

He can have the shittiest of records in erngland, but if he takes the job and improves on what we've put up with for the last couple of years then he'll get my support

Well, obviously. I have no problem at all with Levein but as far as his record being compared to that of Calderwood, Calderwood's stands up well to his. There does seem to be an element of snobbery attached to the idea of Calderwood getting the Scotland gig. Maybe snobbery isn't the correct word but his record in the SPL merits his association with the job just as much as Levein's.

Well, obviously. I have no problem at all with Levein but as far as his record being compared to that of Calderwood, Calderwood's stands up well to his. There does seem to be an element of snobbery attached to the idea of Calderwood getting the Scotland gig. Maybe snobbery isn't the correct word but his record in the SPL merits his association with the job just as much as Levein's.

I think that's true. Most Scottish football fans seem to have this for some reason. I suggested Calderwood for the Cheltenham gig on a forum I post on, I didn't think it was realistic just posted it because I doubted if anyone would know who he was. A poster called "bigdavejambo" commented the only thing Calderwood would improve is the profits of the local tanning salons. Which is something I had come to expect form the more moronic elements of our support and didn't expect it of supporters of other SPL teams.

Then again moronic would probably describe Hearts entire support ;D .

There seems to be an element of snobbery towards Calderwood all together. Strange given that he has done well at both SPL clubs that he has been too.

As I've said before, his public perception is not good. Comes across as a comedic character in the media, wants to be everyone's mate which shows a lack of balls etc.  The only thing that should really come into it is how he does his job, which generally speaking was better than Levein, for example.  But Levein while not being a bad manager by any stretch of the imagination, talks a good game.

• 2 weeks later...