Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood for Dundee United

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree.

I was not JC's biggest fan but he consistently finished above Levein's United.  Why would it be dumb for Thompson to go for him when he has proven he's able to get better league placings than Levein?

I was pleased JC left but don't re-write history. The guy is a good manager, and he did a lot more good for AFC than bad, something you can not say about some of the jokers before him.

Precisely. I and I'm sure many others remain unsure as to why he's become an exaggerated caricature of a manager when in fact he did exactly what was required of him.

He consistently made us finish above them so he would probably improve them.

He'd just become more of a hate figure for some incredibly small minded people.

Agree.

Would be seriously funny if it happened however do not think Levein will take the Scotland job or that Steven Thompson is that dumb.

I was not JC's biggest fan but he consistently finished above Levein's United.  Why would it be dumb for Thompson to go for him when he has proven he's able to get better league placings than Levein?

I was pleased JC left but don't re-write history. The guy is a good manager, and he did a lot more good for AFC than bad, something you can not say about some of the jokers before him.

Calderwood's managerial record imo is more impressive than Levein's.  If United were to go for him should Levein leave I reckon it'd be a good appointment.

Not convinced Levein will be the next Scotland manager.

Would not like to see JC at Tannadice, just better he fades off to Europe somewhere so we can get rid of the hang ups we have about him as soon as possible.

Exactly. As others have alluded to, we finished above united with them. It would add spice to the tie, but I don't want JC at another SPL team.

:clap:

Whilst his final 18 months at the club was shite, the three years preceding this were the best the club has experienced in a decade-and-a-half in terms of consistency and obvious signs of stability and improvement of the product both on the field and the club off the field. Too many Dons fans are quick to forget just how good we were under Jimmy at his peak. Both sides of the Old Firm are, as a direct result of Jimmy's efforts, scared of Pittodrie!

:clap:

Whilst his final 18 months at the club was shite, the three years preceding this were the best the club has experienced in a decade-and-a-half in terms of consistency and obvious signs of stability and improvement of the product both on the field and the club off the field. Too many Dons fans are quick to forget just how good we were under Jimmy at his peak. Both sides of the Old Firm are, as a direct result of Jimmy's efforts, scared of Pittodrie!

Both sides?

Don't think its a good idea.

I'm not fishing but I would be worried about them finishing above us.

Completely agree.

As it's been said before, Calderwood constantly finished above Levein, and i'd be concerned it'd happen again. Why Levein is looked at for the Scotland job before Calderwoood is a mystery to me, although i'd like to state for the record, i'd hate to see either of them take the job.

Qualifying for Europe before he left was shite?

Aye, but most of us will agree we were punching well above our weight by qualifying for Europe. JC lost interest in AFC around January/February 2008. We should've looked for a new management team back then rather than giving his managerial team new contracts. 2006/07 season we deserved our European placing. Last season, we did not.

Aye, but most of us will agree we were punching well above our weight by qualifying for Europe. JC lost interest in AFC around January/February 2008. We should've looked for a new management team back then rather than giving his managerial team new contracts. 2006/07 season we deserved our European placing. Last season, we did not.

Christ, that annoys me. The league rules stated third and fourth were good enough for a UEFA Cup spot. Over a 38 game season we proved ourselves the fourth best team in Scotland, so how you have the authority to say we didn't deserve it is beyond me. I'd also be interested in your reasoning behind saying Calderwood "lost interest" in the job.

Got to completely disagree.  If he lost interest in the job, how did he then get us into Europe?

As Harcus says, we were the 4th best team in the league last year and if you think that is punching above our weight then there is no hope for us.

Why Levein is looked at for the Scotland job before Calderwoood is a mystery to me

Public perception. JC is seen as a bit of a joke character because of how he comes across in the media, Levein comes across as fairly articulate (for a footballer anyway). shouldn't come into of course, only the ability to do the job should, but I think that's why Levein is ahead of JC.

Who said anything about me "having the authority" to say we didn't deserve Europe? Read again, and you'll see I said "most of us will agree we were punching well above our weight".

Take a look at the following thread, which was the buildup thread to the final game of last season:

http://www.donstalk.co.uk/messageboard/index.php/topic,8660.0.html

Certainly nowhere near a clear-cut consensus that we were deserving of the last Euro placing going into the Hibs game.

And as for the JC losing interest comments, again cast your mind back to December/January 2008 when rumours were going around about JC's disgruntlement at AFC. Infact, I'll do the work for you:

http://www.donstalk.co.uk/messageboard/index.php/topic,1906.60.html

Now, couple his eventual re-negotiation in January with the following statistics immediately following JC's decision to sign a new contract ...

Scottish Premier    Dundee Utd    3-0    Aberdeen    19-01-2008

Scottish Premier    Aberdeen    0-1    Hearts    26-01-2008

Scottish FA Cup    Aberdeen    1-0    Hamilton    02-02-2008

Scottish League Cup    Aberdeen    1-4    Dundee Utd    05-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Aberdeen    1-5    Celtic    10-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Hibernian    3-1    Aberdeen    17-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Kilmarnock    3-1    Aberdeen    24-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Aberdeen    1-1    Motherwell    27-02-2008

Scottish Premier    Rangers    3-1    Aberdeen    01-03-2008

Scottish FA Cup    Aberdeen    1-1    Celtic    09-03-2008

One win in ten domestic games! Hardly inspirational stuff from a man who'd been spouting his disgruntlement about AFC just days before signing a new contract.

I agree with the bit in bold. But...

Punching above our weight in what sense? In the sense that Jimmy had a poor squad of players motivated to play above their abilities? or a Poor squad of players organised to get results? or a bit of both?

As for the whether we deserved our European place last season, I paraphrase Mr Wenger "We compete over 38 games in a season".

As for Calderwood managing Dundee Utd, I'd be surprised if it happened, but if it did it would not sit comfortably with me. While Levein's teams have nearly always beaten Jimmy's in one off games they cannot compete over a season. At United he would be inheriting a tidy group of young(ish) players capable of improving as a unit, something Calderwood proved he was capable of here. There is no argueing withthe fact that in SPL terms Calderwood is one of the most successful Scottish managers of recent times. It might not be pretty, it may come with embarassing losses at times but it is successful (in non-OF SPL terms).

Public perception. JC is seen as a bit of a joke character because of how he comes across in the media, Levein comes across as fairly articulate (for a footballer anyway). shouldn't come into of course, only the ability to do the job should, but I think that's why Levein is ahead of JC.

I would argue that the ability to articulate when dealing with the media, board of directors and players is a big part of the job.  One of my biggest hang ups about calderwood was his talking pish in the media, some would say what has this to do with the job?  Well players listen to press releases just like the rest of us, hard to take someone serioulsy when they drivel pish in the media all the time because they clearly like the sound of their own voice.  Levein has done a lot more at utd than just manage the team, i dont care what the league standings say when it came to a head to head between the two he is the more talented by quite a distance.  I for one would laugh my ass off if JC took the utd job, a good friend of mine is an arab and he is shitting it that jc is going to  get the job