Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Paul Marshall / Jim O'Brien

Who knew BB could cause such a stir :D I think he picks a pass and makes it. Not only that it is successful. I don't think anyone is thinking he'll be our saviour, just a decent addition to our depleted squad. We can't afford to buy him so a loan signing is the way we have to go. Hopefully he'll be a success. The fact he wants to come here speaks volumes to me.

Finally, someone who is making sense!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knew BB could cause such a stir :D I think he picks a pass and makes it. Not only that it is successful. I don't think anyone is thinking he'll be our saviour, just a decent addition to our depleted squad. We can't afford to buy him so a loan signing is the way we have to go. Hopefully he'll be a success. The fact he wants to come here speaks volumes to me.

McGhee said we are taking over his contract until the end of the season.

If we decide to keep him after that City will be getting a small sell on clause put in.

I can see him lumping the ball forward hoping someone gets onto the end of it and since the defences are static someone does.

Same as I can see him hitting the ball towards the keeper and getting a goal because the keeper is soft (after he's hit the woodwork a couple times...not sure why hitting the woodwork qualifies for a best of compilation, unless...).

I'm bored of the desperation for a saviour, let alone the expectation that we're going to get one. He may very well be a slight improvement on the people like mark kerr who are not spl standard, but average ability displayed in reserve (at best) games doesn't demonstrate an above average footballing ability. And even if he actually is good, so what? If he helps us win the scottish cup then I'll eat my words but otherwise what's the liklihood he'll be with us beyond the end of a completely meaningless season?

There's a chance he'll be the next aluko but there's a chance he'll be the next josh walker...except without the meaningful games to play in, and of course the chance he'll be yet another waste of a wage.

Anyway, I haven't meant to piss on anyone's spark of enthusiasm. I just don't like the desperation to build somebody up as if there's reason to believe he won't be yet another let down.

I'm not sure why you can't see that he's not just "lumping" it forward but was picking out a team mate with a long range passs. Huge difference between a thump forward and a long pass.

The video was put up to let people see the guy can play football (something you are quite clearly struggling to see), most have recognised this.  No one, absolutely no one, is saying this guy is a saviour. It will however be quite novel to have someone in our midfield who can pass a ball.

And hit the woodwork with free-kicks, of course...  ::)

McGhee said we are taking over his contract until the end of the season.

If we decide to keep him after that City will be getting a small sell on clause put in.

Good post indicating knowledge instead of blind faith.

I don't understand why so many replies to me have brought up points I already made.

i.e. If we sign him beyond this season then it will be a good bit of Aluko-esque buisiness if he's good, or a waste of a wage if he loses interest. If we don't sign him then it's a Walker-esque deal with only the scot cup as meaningful games. Hence me saying if he's a good player who we only have til end of the season and don't win the cup then it's an irrelevant deal...unless we're going to qualify for europe through the league...

And for those desperate to believe they're watching amazing football, he isn't 'picking out a pass' in general, he's booting it in a loosely defined direction and the defence isn't of a standard to prevent marshall's team mate retreiving the ball, or else the person who he is 'picking out' is in a massive amount of space that even a blind monkey could successfully 'pick out'.

As Padre sensibly suggested, none of that reflects how someone will perform in competative games. So why the fuss? Though the video doesn't convince me of his skill, I'm sure he'll ultimately be of similar quality to Aluko, Vidal, Walker (all of whom i liked) but 2 of those players featured in a team aiming fo european qualification and the other actually played in europe. I'd like to believe we're still aiming for that but I can't see us achieving anything apart from the cup. Therefore if we don't win the cup or at least keep him on next season, this deal is meaningless in terms of rebuilding the squad. Thankfully Stewart has pointed out that we seemingly have the agreement that we can sign him on a free if we want. I was under the impression that had to be negotiated and would probably require the same nominal fee that usually scuppers our deals.

Would've been good if someone had said that last night instead of just being desperate to believe the hype.

edit - yes bobby (just seen yr latest bit of sarcasm) it'll be amazing to see someone in Aluko's position who can pass a ball...which Aluko can also do and who can take a slightly worse free kick than Mulgrew...brilliant. If he's the 1 player in for those 2 leaving then we'd need a shitload of transfer kitty cash for it to be a good bit of business.

I'd be keener on him if he does or can play central attacking mid. That's the type of player I think we need (possibly more than any other position). He's a big lad so could have the strength Aluko doesn't.

Maybe I was unduly grumpy before but I don't like the Hat style 'agree wi me or you know nothing' arguments. I'm not claiming he's shite but whether the vid is taken to indicate quality or not is subjective not objective.

Peace and good will and all that.

You make valid points Maverick, but I think you just didn't put them across very well last night due to probably being hammered ;) I think we all agree that to be on the books of a team like Man City, you are likely to be of a higher calibre of skill than your average say Champtionship reserve team or SPL team. As you quite rightly say, if he does stay beyond the summer, it means good things for both us and the club. But the point still stands, he didn't just hoof it, he picked a pass. There is a difference between hoofing a ball randomly (which a lot of our players do) and playing a ball into space which he did a number of times. I hope that clears it up for you ;)

You make valid points Maverick, but I think you just didn't put them across very well last night due to probably being hammered ;) I think we all agree that to be on the books of a team like Man City, you are likely to be of a higher calibre of skill than your average say Champtionship reserve team or SPL team. As you quite rightly say, if he does stay beyond the summer, it means good things for both us and the club. But the point still stands, he didn't just hoof it, he picked a pass. There is a difference between hoofing a ball randomly (which a lot of our players do) and playing a ball into space which he did a number of times. I hope that clears it up for you ;)

Me? Hammered? Never!  ;)

In a completely uncompetitive match. I'll reserve judgement on the lad till I see how he does on a rainy, cold winter evening against Falkirk or St. Mirren when he's getting the shite kicked out of him left right and centre.

In a completely uncompetitive match. I'll reserve judgement on the lad till I see how he does on a rainy, cold winter evening against Falkirk or St. Mirren when he's getting the shite kicked out of him left right and centre.

I actually meant to add that bit in as well. I completely agree with it, but I think my original point was that he appears to be able to play the game (from the footage) and wants to come to Aberdeen. As you quite rightly say, who knows how he'll perform on a cold night in Paisley. Hopefully positively.

Edit: FJ, unlikely ;)