Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Contract offers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to see what other clubs come in for him, if any. Not convinced he should be offered another contract after the nightclub debacle, and some extremely questionable performances as captain this season.

When we went down to 9 men against hibs and against the huns are the only times I have seen him play well.

When we went down to 9 men against hibs and against the huns are the only times I have seen him play well.

To me that's proof that when he gets his head down and applies himself he can be a very useful player. He just needs to do that more often. Let's see if he has the clichéd upturn in form while we wait for him to be offered a contract.

To me that's proof that when he gets his head down and applies himself he can be a very useful player. He just needs to do that more often. Let's see if he has the clichéd upturn in form while we wait for him to be offered a contract.

He can be, but why should we give him a contract if he cant be bothered week to week?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8374283.stm

Mark Kerr says he is enjoying life as captain of Aberdeen and insists he would like to remain at Pittodrie.

Alongwith team-mates Charlie Mulgrew, Gary McDonald, Lee Miller and RickyFoster, Kerr is out of contract at the end of the season.

The 27-year-old told BBC Scotland: "I would like to stay and it's up to the club to put things in place.

"They are trying to tie up some of the younger boys, and one or two of the older players are next in line." TheDons are currently working on securing the long-term futures ofyoungsters Peter Pawlett, Michael Paton, Fraser Fyvie and ChrisMaguire.

Kerr arrived on a free transfer last summer havingspent five years at Dundee United and was made skipper at the start ofthis season.

"I'm loving it, I feel comfortable in the role," Kerr said of the captaincy.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen-born United States international midfielder Stuart Holden is a target for his hometown club.

Dons' boss Mark McGhee has been tracking Holden who left Scotland at the age of 10 when his father took a job in Houston.

Holden currently plays there for MLS team Dynamo and has been capped by the US national side 10 times.

Theclub say McGhee has a "very long list" of players he is keeping tabson, with Plymouth striker Steven MacLean and Motherwell winger JimO'Brien both thought to be among them.

• 2 weeks later...
Dons step up efforts to keep pair

MANAGER McGHEE MAKES IT HIS PRIORITY TO HOLD ON TO FULL BACKS MULGREW AND FOSTER

By Paul Third

Published: 03/12/2009

Aberdeen will step up their efforts to keep Charlie Mulgrew and Richard Foster at the club in the next week when both players’ agents visit Pittodrie for contract talks.

Foster’s agent is due to meet director of football Willie Miller today while Mulgrew’s agent Kevin Drinkell  :finger: is due at the club next week for further talks aimed at keeping the left back at Pittodrie beyond the summer.

Both players are out of contract at the end of the season and Mulgrew has already turned down two offers from Aberdeen.

Dons manager Mark McGhee is compiling a list of players he believes can replace his out of contract players – Gary McDonald, Lee Miller, Mark Kerr, Mulgrew and Foster – in case any of them decide to move on.

He said: “Contract talks are ongoing.

“We are meeting again on Thursday with Richard Foster’s agent and Charlie Mulgrew’s agent is coming up next week for a meeting too.

“It is out of our hands and we can only offer what we can.

“If someone betters our offer then we have to ensure we have a list of players who could be potential replacements, and that is what we are trying to do.

“If a certain player does not re-sign we need to have two or three alternatives we can go for.â€

Retaining his two full backs, who played as emergency central defenders to great effect against Rangers on Saturday, is McGhee’s priority and he admits both have impressed him greatly in recent weeks.

He said: “People would be tempted to used Charlie as a centre half but I see him as a great asset at left back.

“If he could take his defensive display from Saturday into the left back position then he would have it all in that position.

“We’ve not played him in central midfield yet, but we would have done that had the central defenders not been injured.

“Foster is another one who can play in several positions.

“Lee Miller has been chasing him in the last few weeks, but for the last six weeks Foster has been consistently our best player.â€

Efforts to get young players Fraser Fyvie and Michael Paton secured on longer term deals are also continuing as the Dons manager steps up his efforts to shape his squad.

He said: “The players are getting more confident with each passing game, but in terms of our development I hope out of 10 we are only a three at the moment.

“There are three areas we are working on at the club. The young players need time and encouragement to get towards the 10 mark and the senior players are also trying to prove themselves capable.

“We also need the extra players who will come in during the next three transfer windows to enable us to do that.

“There will be the occasional bonus which comes along, but it is important we use any surplus from players who move on and replace them with equal or better players.â€

I think its a sensible approach by MM to say to players who are holding us to ransom to say- "ok, your reluctant to re-sign, well we have a list of players who will step in and fill your place. you are no loss to us  Have fun with the Stoke reserves."

Amen. I like his approach

Amen. I like his approach

As do I. And I know there are many who aren't fans of Foster and Mulgrew but I'm a fan of both. Foster seems to be more of a superstar than ever under McGhee. When it comes to Mulgrew, like hom or loathe him he's one of our biggest goal scoring outlets and I'd really like to hang onto both of these players. Both still young and experienced.

Mulgrew rejecting two contract offers to me hints that the club aren't able to do any more to keep him and the player is probably off to pastures new. If so then in a way I hope he goes in jan so we don't have the same bullshit saga as wi seve last year.

This is a transitional season after all. Mulgrew is such a key componant that if we have him til summer it means yet more transition next year.

• 3 weeks later...
It’s make your mind up time for Aberdeen FC five

McGhee’s plea to players

By Charlie Allan

Published: 22/12/2009

THE five Aberdeen FC players pondering whether to sign new deals were today warned they could be “left out on a limb†if they don’t sign up soon.

Charlie Mulgrew, Lee Miller, Gary McDonald and Richard Foster are all still considering the contract offers made to them by Aberdeen FC.

Aberdeen FC also want teenage midfielder Fraser Fyvie to agree a longer contract, in line with the four-year deal recently signed by Peter Pawlett.

Manager Mark McGhee warned all five he won’t wait for ever for them to confirm if they want to stay at Pittodrie.

• 3 weeks later...
Aberdeen FC close to deal with Mulgrew

Contract talks moving along well

Published: 13/01/2010

TALKS: Charlie Mulgrew.

More Pictures

Aberdeen FC hope to move closer to securing star man Charlie Mulgrew on a new contract within the next 24 hours.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee revealed he is close to persuading the former Celtic and Wolves player to commit to a contract extension.

McGhee hopes to get clearance to seal the deal with Mulgrew when he meets with Aberdeen FC directors at Pittodrie tomorrow.

McGhee said: “I have another financial meeting tomorrow morning to discuss where we are at as far as a deal for Charlie goes.â€