Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Rangers vs Aberdeen 26/09/09

That is pretty reasonable. Most of the comments from regular posters on this site have been reasoned. It's the twats that come over from Hat who come up with ridiculous 'McGhee has turned the club on it's head and everything is now rosy in the garden' who are not being reasonable.

:clap:

Its cos we're JIGers and MMGers... ::)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has said that though Sharpie?  McGhee has us going steadily which is encouraging considering the lack of transfer action, the promotion of Fyvie, Pawlett and Paton is encouraging aswell.

Fair enough Mini, but there is no difference to what Jimmy offered thus far. Entertainment wise there has been no improvement yet. We are all hoping that McGhee will offer improved entertainment as well as steady progress in the league. For anybody to say that he is doing any better at the moment would be false. That is not to say anybody doesn't want him to show a marked improvement in the entertainment stakes. We are all craving it!

Fair enough Mini, but there is no difference to what Jimmy offered thus far. Entertainment wise there has been no improvement yet. We are all hoping that McGhee will offer improved entertainment as well as steady progress in the league. For anybody to say that he is doing any better at the moment would be false. That is not to say anybody doesn't want him to show a marked improvement in the entertainment stakes. We are all craving it!

The entertainment will come, I think we are most likely to see it at home though, Pawlett, Fyvie and paton will be key in showing this, obviosuly the other players will need to do it aswell but when these guys get running at their men it is a joy to watch and at home they will be able to do this more.

So like many arguments I've seen about McGhee we have to have faith that he'll come good?

Since that's a pretty fundamental part of being a supporter, I'll go with that. McGhee gets my support.

However, some of the mad hatters have painted themslves into a corner, they have no choice but to suck his balls at every opportunity. Especially when you consider the hyperbole that's gone before.

One of the funny things I have picked up on is an apparent support of McGhee over and above the club. Personally, I find that very strange.

This argument is getting tedious.

Anyone who dares to criticise McGhee or question him, has to have a Jimmy Calderwood related question shoved down their necks. Get over it. Criticism is part and parcel of football, whoever you are. Jimmy is gone and McGhee is here now, McGhee is getting judged as to what he does now, whether or not he has Jimmy's 'dross'.

So like many arguments I've seen about McGhee we have to have faith that he'll come good?

Since that's a pretty fundamental part of being a supporter, I'll go with that. McGhee gets my support.

However, some of the mad hatters have painted themslves into a corner, they have no choice but to suck his balls at every opportunity. Especially when you consider the hyperbole that's gone before.

One of the funny things I have picked up on is an apparent support of McGhee over and above the club. Personally, I find that very strange.

+1

bravoclap.gif

If we're going down that road then I feel that McGhee got the choice of captain completely wrong, which is arguably the biggest decision he's made since coming to the club.

I understand that some have doubts over McGhee, but I'm encouraged by the good improvement in defence, the selection of youth over dross, and the acknowledgement that what we have in the squad at the moment isn't good enough.

Mistakes were made by McGhee during a few games this season, however it wasn't the previous manager's mistakes that led me to believe he wasn't the man to take us forward - it was the inability to a) identify them, and b) learn from them over a long period of time.

I'll disagree that I'm unable to judge this objectively, perhaps it's more of a long haul than I expected - however I'm still positive about McGhee as the signs are there that some of the wrongs I felt were there under Jimmy are in the process of being sorted out.

If we're going down that road then I feel that McGhee got the choice of captain completely wrong, which is arguably the biggest decision he's made since coming to the club.

Agreed, and on balance Calderwood got it wrong with Seve.  Both Kerr and Seve were poor choices as captain, and nowhere near vocal enough.

Eddie Turnbull started his reign getting the defence correct and not conceding, goals came later.......

.............all we need is a Joe Harper for the 2000's

Calderwood did something similar but never quite got to grips with the goals bit. Hopefully McGhee will not fall on the same sword.

But these days it's so bloody difficult to find goalscorers. Any striker who can score more than 10 goals in a season gets snapped up by Portvale/Darlington/Luton/insert-random-division2-team ... or the Old Firm grab him and let him rot in their reserves for three years and sell him back to the original club along with wage demands that are ten times what they deserve.

Gone are the days when Aberdeen could comfortably hold on to the likes of Harper or McDougall. A striker who can score more than 20 goals in a season gets valued dramatically more than a goalkeeper who can keep 20 successive cleansheets. Whilst we appear to have our defence sorted out, I think it's gonna be a long long time until we see a quality striker at Aberdeen who can bang the goals away on a regular basis. Until then, we're gonna have to rely on players from all over the park to score. Whether that be Mulgrew's foot, Kerr's head or Mackie's arse, I don't care. But we need to be teaching ALL players how to score, not just the strikers.

But these days it's so bloody difficult to find goalscorers. Any striker who can score more than 10 goals in a season gets snapped up by Portvale/Darlington/Luton/insert-random-division2-team ... or the Old Firm grab him and let him rot in their reserves for three years and sell him back to the original club along with wage demands that are ten times what they deserve.

Gone are the days when Aberdeen could comfortably hold on to the likes of Harper or McDougall. A striker who can score more than 20 goals in a season gets valued dramatically more than a goalkeeper who can keep 20 successive cleansheets. Whilst we appear to have our defence sorted out, I think it's gonna be a long long time until we see a quality striker at Aberdeen who can bang the goals away on a regular basis. Until then, we're gonna have to rely on players from all over the park to score. Whether that be Mulgrew's foot, Kerr's head or Mackie's arse, I don't care. But we need to be teaching ALL players how to score, not just the strikers.

All very true.

I'd suggest there are cleverer and more organised ways of doing it than trying to teach everyone to score though. A good starting point would be to organise your midfield and general support play to the front men so that its based on a solid, tackling, ball winning heart and creative, pacey, delivery focused wide men. Fergusons teams were always structured this way and strikers are often made to look pretty fucking good if you get the model to work. With Pawlett and Aluko we are getting somewhere but we still haven't really got that crunching centre. I would say it is a priority now as Kerr will never be that player but he might be more effective alongside a harder partner.