Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Rangers vs Aberdeen 26/09/09

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee has suggested himself that keeping these clean sheets isn't necessarily indicative of how we are playing and that there has certainly been an element of good fortune involved.

The clean sheets thing is good, but I really wouldn't care about them as long as we were banging them in at the other end, but we're not and that's extremely worrying because it really doesn't look as though that's going to change any point soon either.

McGhee has suggested himself that keeping these clean sheets isn't necessarily indicative of how we are playing and that there has certainly been an element of good fortune involved.

The clean sheets thing is good, but I really wouldn't care about them as long as we were banging them in at the other end, but we're not and that's extremely worrying because it really doesn't look as though that's going to change any point soon either.

TBH I think its a matter of time before that side of things comes good. As the side grows in confidence from back to front, the pressure of Pawlett and Aluko attacking from the flanks and MacDonald pushing up behind the front line the strikers will not be able to resist the desire to bulge a few nets. Patience my friend.

That was the poorest rangers team ive seen in a very long time, and i cant help being disappointed not to have taken more away from the match

Surely can't be as gut-wrenching as the Valentines Day match in 2003 where Diamond scored in the second minute and we went on to run Rangers absolutely ragged. We could've and SHOULD'VE smashed five or six goals past them, but for the the goalkeeping skills of Stefan Klos. Then just as we thought "fuck it, let's just make do with a 1-0 win" De Boer goes up and grabs an equaliser for them in the final minute of the game. Seriously though, we should've destroyed them that day, as they were unbelievably poor.

How can 5 clean sheets at this stage of the season be papering over cracks?

What possible cracks could there be to cover when you dont let in any fucking goals? 80% of our league games this season have led to us not losing a goal - where are the cracks?

Havnt conceded a league goal since the first game and sitting 3 points from 2nd place - what more could you ask for?

This time last season we had lost 4 in a row and in doing so we had lost 10 goals...........those are cracks.

Win against killie on saturday and we could be sitting 2nd.....Tough game but the way the defence is playing we could easy sneak it, then we have the comfort of two home games.

COME ON YOU REDS

What possible cracks could there be to cover when you dont let in any fucking goals? 80% of our league games this season have led to us not losing a goal - where are the cracks?

Inability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo perhaps?

Knocked out of two cup competitions already perhaps?  One of which being are worst European result in history.

Fish for your tea methinks.

Guest fatshaft

I mentioned at the final whistle on saturday that was wasnt content with a point from that match, and at the time i felt that the players celebrating at full time was over the top, seemed as if they saw avoiding defeat as a great achievment although looking back that might be a bit harsh.

That was the poorest rangers team ive seen in a very long time, and i cant help being disappointed not to have taken more away from the match, if we played to our full potential we should have won, the thing is we didnt play anywhere near our potential. 

Like many have already said, these 5 clean sheets in a row paper over the cracks, it was less than a week ago things were all doom and gloom after the dundee game and suddenly a point from ibrox means that we've turned the corner? I'm still to be convinced

Where? Maybe in your head, and there are a lot of twats on the hat still wanking off to Jimmy posters, and deligghted at the slightest blip from McGhee; but I think most of us have seen the positives that McGhee is slowly bringing, tighter defence, blooding very exciting youngsters, deadwood slowly being squeezed out, (bye bye Young for starters) and a (fairly) settled formation that doesn't leave you scratching your head wondering what the fuck just happened?

Where? Maybe in your head, and there are a lot of twats on the hat still wanking off to Jimmy posters, and deligghted at the slightest blip from McGhee; but I think most of us have seen the positives that McGhee is slowly bringing, tighter defence, blooding very exciting youngsters, deadwood slowly being squeezed out, (bye bye Young for starters) and a (fairly) settled formation that doesn't leave you scratching your head wondering what the fuck just happened?

I hope so, but to be fair to JC he actually did blood Pawlett and Paton and said they were very much the future of the club. I did not however expect to see Fyvie playing this season and has been great to see! Re: your last sentence though, the players looked like they were wondering that very thing for most of these games. Saturday was probably the first time they looked like they knew what they were doing (as McGhee said himself, a settled formation). Its taken time, but hopefully things will continue to improve, I'm just not jumping around for joy for five consecutive clean sheets. But as Ajja says, hopefully that will breed confidence throughout the team and we build from the back.

Nobody is/was delighted at the "slightest blip" from McGhee.

Take an objective look at the situation. The excuses for bad results like Sigma and Dundee, are the same as those given for Calderwood's failings. The difference in the situations being the (hopefully justified) optimism shown by those "wanking off to McGhee posters". The reality is those, that AFCHAT propaganda label "wanking off to Jimmy posters", got a cold hard dose of reality a long time ago; and those pedalling the propaganda have still to get theirs.

The only facts that matter are that AFC are -£10million and have been losing money on an almost yearly basis for the last 12 - 15 years. Until that changes we could have Alex Jose Arsene Ancelotti-Clough in charge and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. We'd still be floating about between 3rd and 6th, depending on the players we've lost the previous season, hoping against hope for an elusive cup final win. You might say its defeatist it's not it's reality.

As for McGhee's improvements I'm fairly indifferent to the matter, while it was probably time to freshen things up, unless we win the league or cup, I will never be convinced that it was worth the financial outlay.

Surely can't be as gut-wrenching as the Valentines Day match in 2003 where Diamond scored in the second minute and we went on to run Rangers absolutely ragged. We could've and SHOULD'VE smashed five or six goals past them, but for the the goalkeeping skills of Stefan Klos. Then just as we thought "fuck it, let's just make do with a 1-0 win" De Boer goes up and grabs an equaliser for them in the final minute of the game. Seriously though, we should've destroyed them that day, as they were unbelievably poor.

I remember being gutted at that game, I don't think i'd ever seen us beat them in the flesh at that point which would make me even more gutted than you were ;)

But a team with De Boer and Klos in it is at least 10x better than the current hun team.

I remember being gutted at that game, I don't think i'd ever seen us beat them in the flesh at that point which would make me even more gutted than you were ;)

But a team with De Boer and Klos in it is at least 10x better than the current hun team.

And what a fucked up Aberdeen team we had out that day. Lots of dross mixed in with a little bit of quality.

Team 

1 Preece

17 McNaughton

24 Morrison

29 Heikkinen

5 Anderson

14 Clark

10 Sheerin

7 Hinds

27 Diamond

19 Zdrilic

9 Booth

Team 

1 Preece - The first sign that Leighton could polish any turd. Went from a crap flapper fae Darlington who dropped pianos on his foot, to a very comfortable and capable keeper who I was sad to see the back of

17 McNaughton - Good on ye Kev. I used to love the crazy tricks he'd come out with against the huns. Apparently "Mr Consistent" at Cardiff. With his gray hair, he was also the SPL's youngest old man too!

24 Morrison - Oh dear! Wasn't he the Scottish David Beckham?

29 Heikkinen - Oh for another Heikkinen right now!

5 Anderson - He was just starting to become the solid and consistent player we all know and love back then

14 Clark - Still dunno what all the fuss about him leaving was about. I couldnae be arsed wi the loon and was glad we got rid of him ... what's even better is we got a fee!

10 Sheerin - Was this the pre-new contract Sheerin or the post-new contract Sheerin? There's a world of difference between the two!

7 Hinds - Why did we persist with him? Suppose same reason we persist with just about every "striker" at Aberdeen ... he's all we could afford

27 Diamond - He was extremely raw back then, although to be fair he was about 9 years old

19 Zdrilic - Oshor Williams rated him as the best striker he'd ever seen. I want some of Oshor's drugs

9 Booth - Thank you Scott for everything you gave to AFC

Inability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo perhaps?

Knocked out of two cup competitions already perhaps?  One of which being are worst European result in history.

Fish for your tea methinks.

While the goals for column is sparse, these clean sheets aren't to be sniffed at and shows McGhee has done a good job in sorting the defence out after the Sigma defeat especially?

Wouldn't say it's papering over any cracks either, if we aren't scoring goals then it's fairly clear that we won't win games irrespective of how many clean sheets we've had. We've signed a no-nonsense CB at long last and arguably our best CB has been out all season - struggle to see how people can't take encouragement from that?

Would like to think he's not immune to praise from some quarters either.

Don't be a knob, if he turns the team into this entertaining point grabbing unit we have all been salavating after then who is going to criticise?

Why has this site got a reputation for being anti McGhee? I have not seen anything to suggest that at all.

How can 5 clean sheets at this stage of the season be papering over cracks?

Havnt conceded a league goal since the first game and sitting 3 points from 2nd place - what more could you ask for?

As others have already alluded to the fact that we've kept 5 clean sheets in a row gives the impression that the team have been playing well, when infact we really havent. 

Do you really disagree that the fact we're struggling to buy a goal just now, that the only threat we seem to have at the minute is our left back, or the almost complete lack of creativity in the team are not cracks being papered over by the fact we havent conceded in 5 league games? From what ive seen from the defence in those games hasnt been particularly convincing either, we are still giving other teams a fair few chances during the course of a match and sooner or later we will get punished for that. 

The defence is a positive, im not denying that, but its only a starting point.

Nobody is/was delighted at the "slightest blip" from McGhee.

Take an objective look at the situation. The excuses for bad results like Sigma and Dundee, are the same as those given for Calderwood's failings. The difference in the situations being the (hopefully justified) optimism shown by those "wanking off to McGhee posters". The reality is those, that AFCHAT propaganda label "wanking off to Jimmy posters", got a cold hard dose of reality a long time ago; and those pedalling the propaganda have still to get theirs.

The only facts that matter are that AFC are -£10million and have been losing money on an almost yearly basis for the last 12 - 15 years. Until that changes we could have Alex Jose Arsene Ancelotti-Clough in charge and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. We'd still be floating about between 3rd and 6th, depending on the players we've lost the previous season, hoping against hope for an elusive cup final win. You might say its defeatist it's not it's reality.

As for McGhee's improvements I'm fairly indifferent to the matter, while it was probably time to freshen things up, unless we win the league or cup, I will never be convinced that it was worth the financial outlay.

That mirrors my thoughts pretty much exactly!  :clap:

Wow you really are fantastically stupid if you think that anyone has been delighted at the slightest blip since McGhee took over.

I agree that the youngsters have been a huge positive so far, and that the likes of young etc have been playing smaller roles this season but i disagree with your point about the defence.  I'll agree that its been tighter lately than the start of the season, however i'm yet to be convinced that we are as sound defensivly as previous seasons, hopefully we will be, but it'll take more work.

I take encouragement from it. Its certainly a solid platform from which to build, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. We have some big games coming up against our rivals for the european places and they've looked a lot more credible in front of goal than we have. Poor results against these teams and our clean sheet record isn't going to help us any. One particular season under JC, we had the 2nd best defence in the league but missed out on europe because of to many draws. McGhee needs to ensure we don't fall into a similar situation. We've made steady progress from the start of the season but as already mentioned we need to temper the optimism with some reality as from the performances I've seen there are going to be more slip-ups along the same lines as the cup exit.

I take encouragement from it. Its certainly a solid platform from which to build, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. We have some big games coming up against our rivals for the european places and they've looked a lot more credible in front of goal than we have. Poor results against these teams and our clean sheet record isn't going to help us any. One particular season under JC, we had the 2nd best defence in the league but missed out on europe because of to many draws. McGhee needs to ensure we don't fall into a similar situation. We've made steady progress from the start of the season but as already mentioned we need to temper the optimism with some reality as from the performances I've seen there are going to be more slip-ups along the same lines as the cup exit.

That is pretty reasonable. Most of the comments from regular posters on this site have been reasoned. It's the twats that come over from Hat who come up with ridiculous 'McGhee has turned the club on it's head and everything is now rosy in the garden' who are not being reasonable.