Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Rangers vs Aberdeen 26/09/09

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killie is a different ball game. The Huns are missing a lot of guile without Ferguson and with Mendes being suspended but being the home team at Ibrox the onus was on them to get forward and attack us. That played in to McGhee's hands very well and it suited players like Paton and Pawlett who had a bit of space to run to with ball at feet. I assume Killie will be much more stuffy and will look to annul Paton and Pawlett and stop us playing.

No doubting that, Killie will be the true test. If they can show dynamism in their play they should combat Killie. I don't think we will be able to play the same way as we did against der Hun, but we'll see. Saturday was a good start, lets continue it. I read in the P&J today that that was the first time any Dons team has managed to record 5 continuous shut outs in the league since 1991... :o

This result is being heralded in the P&J as some sort of 'answer to the critics' from the cup exit at Dundee. There is a long way to go before we can take any sort of comfort from that, and a good performance in a 0-0 against a shit rangers team is little consolation to being humiliated by lower league opposition yet again. What it is, is a starting point to move on for the rest of the season - with some decent performances from our younger players. I'll take more confidence in our chances at success this season if we can deliver the results in matches with 3Pts against the likes of StMirren and Kilmarnock rather than a spirited 1pt against rangers. Consistency is the key.

This result is being heralded in the P&J as some sort of 'answer to the critics' from the cup exit at Dundee. There is a long way to go before we can take any sort of comfort from that, and a good performance in a 0-0 against a shit rangers team is little consolation to being humiliated by lower league opposition yet again. What it is, is a starting point to move on for the rest of the season - with some decent performances from our younger players. I'll take more confidence in our chances at success this season if we can deliver the results in matches with 3Pts against the likes of StMirren and Kilmarnock rather than a spirited 1pt against rangers. Consistency is the key.

Redweb is basically the same. For me the sign that we've moved forward is improved results and consistent results against the lower half of the board and what we would consider "lesser teams". Build from those results and then we can feel good about competing against/alongside the Old Firm.

Whats your point mini? Yes its a good start to have 5 clean sheets in a row, it doesn't hide the fact that we still do not look like we can score goals. Near enough everyone on here accepted Europe papered over the cracks under Jimmy. No-one is or should be getting excited about 1 point from Stybrox or 5 clean sheets. Its what follows is what more important, against teams like Killie etc...we need wins.

I am happy with a point at Ibrox, after Tuesday I'd have bitten the hand off of anyone who offered that to me aswell as a clean sheet, we all know they raise their game for us coming to Ibrox, you arn't happy with 5 clean sheets then I think you should just stick to supporting Man u or whoever it is that wins every week.

I am happy with a point at Ibrox, after Tuesday I'd have bitten the hand off of anyone who offered that to me aswell as a clean sheet, we all know they raise their game for us coming to Ibrox, you arn't happy with 5 clean sheets then I think you should just stick to supporting Man u or whoever it is that wins every week.

Did I say I wasn't happy with it? It is good, but i'm not jumping about over it. It still worries me like hell our strikers still can't score, and we don't exactly have many efforts on goal every game do we? Its a good start, and i'm happy with it, I just don't like how it is being portrayed by the club/papers that they have answered the critics, that will happen next saturday against Killie. That is a the real test. The Ibrox result was great, but there's no use turning up against the hoardes of darkness and failing to against Killie.

Indeed, maybe some on here will take that oboard and give MM a chance, unlike yourself, you have been waiting for him to make a mistake since day one.

Erm, I didn't have to wait longer than day one.  :thumbsup:

I praise McGhee when it's due, and criticise when it's due as well. As a paying customer it's entirely my right.

5 clean sheets in a row is a very positive platform to build from, that is all. Good sides will be built from the back, if we can get that right consistently (the collapse against Dundee shows the fragility of the situation) then we will be in great shape to kick on.

Naive teams like Hibs, Falkirk and even Motherwell, to a degree, try to build from the front with attacking and goal scoring ability and it gets them next to fuck all over the course of a season. It might not be pretty but grinding out results with a solid back line has to be the way we get our confidence back and become hard to beat first and foremost. Then we can start to tear teams up with our young 'uns. It will come, believe me, it will come. I predict the second round of fixtures will see us handing out some spankings.

5 clean sheets in a row is a very positive platform to build from, that is all. Good sides will be built from the back, if we can get that right consistently (the collapse against Dundee shows the fragility of the situation) then we will be in great shape to kick on.

Naive teams like Hibs, Falkirk and even Motherwell, to a degree, try to build from the front with attacking and goal scoring ability and it gets them next to fuck all over the course of a season. It might not be pretty but grinding out results with a solid back line has to be the way we get our confidence back and become hard to beat first and foremost. Then we can start to tear teams up with our young 'uns. It will come, believe me, it will come. I predict the second round of fixtures will see us handing out some spankings.

These clean sheets are more to do with the oppositions lack of ability when it comes to pulling the trigger, I still believe we're in for an absolute thumping very soon.

I mentioned at the final whistle on saturday that was wasnt content with a point from that match, and at the time i felt that the players celebrating at full time was over the top, seemed as if they saw avoiding defeat as a great achievment although looking back that might be a bit harsh.

That was the poorest rangers team ive seen in a very long time, and i cant help being disappointed not to have taken more away from the match, if we played to our full potential we should have won, the thing is we didnt play anywhere near our potential. 

Like many have already said, these 5 clean sheets in a row paper over the cracks, it was less than a week ago things were all doom and gloom after the dundee game and suddenly a point from ibrox means that we've turned the corner? I'm still to be convinced

Don't be a prick. You know what is being said.

Thats why I had to say what I did. We still have defensive fragility especially with Ifil going to be out for the next month. One of the main problems of this is the exposure to danger from the midfield, namely Kerr and McDonald. On Saturday those tow were better than they have been especially McDonald but to try and use in isolation 5 clean sheets in the league. Its also no point in keeping clean sheets when we cant score at the other end.

I mentioned at the final whistle on saturday that was wasnt content with a point from that match, and at the time i felt that the players celebrating at full time was over the top, seemed as if they saw avoiding defeat as a great achievment although looking back that might be a bit harsh.

you were a right moody cunt indeed!