Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Lee Miller

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABERDEEN FC hitman Lee Miller insists a new wave of AFC players can join him in the Scotland squad.

The Aberdeen FC striker was called up by George Burley for Saturday’s trip to Yokohama to take on Japan alongside team-mate Jamie Langfield.

And the 26-year-old has backed more of his Pittodrie team-mates to make the leap to international football.

“At Aberdeen, we have had guys doing really well this season,†said Miller.

“The likes of Charlie Mulgrew and Jamie Langfield have had great seasons so far.

“Charlie and also Mark Kerr have been doing well but you could go through the whole side.

“Hopefully if they keep doing well they can get their shout soon enough.â€

ABERDEEN FC striker Lee Miller today claimed his Scotland call-up can kick-start his season.

Aberdeen FC striker Miller was a late addition to the national squad that will face Japan in a friendly on Saturday.

The 26-year-old is yet to find the back of the net this season and conceded he is short of top form.

But Miller plans to come back from the Far East ready to shoot down Euro rivals Hearts and Dundee United in Aberdeen FC’s next two games.

He said: “Just hearing the news has already given a big boost to my confidence.

“Being away with Scotland this week is maybe just the kick-start I needed to get my season going and, hopefully Aberdeen FC will benefit when I return, especially as we have got two big games coming up at home against Hearts and Dundee United.â€

Miller was called up by Scotland boss George Burley, along with Hearts’ Lee Wallace, after four players pulled out of the initial squad.

Far East trip can do Dons attacker Lee a world of good

McGHEE HOPING MILLER GETS HIS CHANCE IN YOKOHAMA AS SCOTS FACE JAPAN

By Michael Gannon

Published: 09/10/2009

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee hopes Lee Miller can rediscover his goalscoring touch on international duty with Scotland in the Far East.

Dons targetman Miller is one of just three forwards in George Burley’s shadow squad to face Japan in Yokohama tomorrow and is in line to earn his third cap.

Miller’s call-up was surprising, given the 26-year-old’s miserable recent record in front of goal.

His performances have not been lacking in application, but he has failed to score in 10 games this season.

He has netted just five times in 2009, with three of those goals arriving in the first week of January.

McGhee needs his main forward firing on all cylinders and he is hoping the stint of national service will provide the catalyst.

McGhee said: “This trip can be a positive for Lee. It is always a positive to be called up for you country and it is something which can only be good for him.

“Who knows, he might bang in the goals in training and maybe even in the game if he gets an opportunity?

“It might do him the world of good.

“I know only too well forwards are judged on their goals and Lee is not happy he has not got off the mark yet.

“He is a confident player but, like everyone, he wants to be the one who puts the ball away.

“I know how it feels to go eight, nine, 10 games in a row without scoring. It is not pleasant, but once you find the back of the net you are up and running. You sometimes just need a spark.

“It has been hard going for Lee in recent weeks, because we have not been creating an abundance of chances.

“Hopefully he can get a lift with Scotland and the good thing is when he gets back we will have a few of our attacking players back as well, such as Sone Aluko.â€

Scotland’s trip to Japan has been labelled by many as a pointless exercise due to the time of year and the considerable amount of call-offs.

The Scotland squad will be without 20 players who could be considered for a cap, but McGhee is not among the doubters.

He said: “I do not think any Scotland match can be considered pointless.

“It is an opportunity for some players who might not have been involved to stake a claim. Even if only one or two of them acquit themselves well it will be a worthwhile exercise.

“In the past Scotland teams have gone away for so-called meaningless games and yet someone stands out from the crowd and goes on to become a permanent feature.

“Also it is a tremendous boost for any player to be called up for Scotland regardless of the situation.

“I know it is a long way to go, but it will be a good experience for these players.â€

Lets hope so eh McGhee! Lets face it, he can't play any worse.

• 5 weeks later...

His performace was by no means good enough to back up what you said there!

Probably true, thought he offered a lot against Hibs the week before though and if he gets a goal every other game think we'd all be fairly pleased with a 19 goal a season striker - oh to have a a Duncan Shearer again.

Probably true, thought he offered a lot against Hibs the week before though and if he gets a goal every other game think we'd all be fairly pleased with a 19 goal a season striker - oh to have a a Duncan Shearer again.

Like Kerr he was abysmal until we went down to 9 men, did far better afterwards and showed he can track back.

Like Kerr he was abysmal until we went down to 9 men, did far better afterwards and showed he can track back.

Pretty much the size of it mizer, comes down to lack of motivation or confidence or both. He is a talented player, not blessed with pace but talented. He is also not blessed with a great work ethic so maybe needs an impending hoof up his shiter.

If his workrate stayed the same as that of the last half hour against Hibs he and we wouldn't be concerned at all.

I've seen Lee Miller recently in Tesco Westhill, buying a multipack of walkers crisps.

I saw him there too. I'll give him his due - when i was in his road he stopped until I moved where as I generally make no attempts to prevent mowing anyone down with my trolley. That's why I usually take a basket.

I saw him there too. I'll give him his due - when i was in his road he stopped until I moved where as I generally make no attempts to prevent mowing anyone down with my trolley. That's why I usually take a basket.

Did he not just go down in the aisle and look for a staff member to offer him a 2 for 1 deal to get up ?

• 1 month later...