Olomouc - Aberdeen (6/8/09)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee is looking for a five-star Dons show

Published: 06/08/2009

Mark McGhee is a man on a mission. The Dons manager knows overturning Sigma Olomouc’s 5-1 advantage is mission impossible but is determined to rebuild his side’s reputation with victory in the Czech Republic tonight.

The Dons were left shell-shocked after last week’s hammering in the Europa League third qualifying round first leg at Pittodrie. But McGhee is confident his squad will give an improved account of themselves at the Andruv Stadium.

He said: “I think the tie is beyond us but we still have to go out there and try to get five goals.

“It is not the first time in history it has happened. We could regain a lot of credit from our own supporters if we were to win over here.

“Then people might believe about what I was saying last week about the personnel and the condition of the team. Hopefully, we can show we are getting a little bit fitter and stronger and mentally we can bounce back from what happened last week.

“The supporters also want to see before Saturday’s SPL opener against Celtic there is not going to be some sort of capitulation and I think we can do that.â€

McGhee knows his side cannot throw caution completely to the wind against such lethal counter-attacking opponents but he is determined to put the Czech side under pressure from the start.

He said: “They are good and we cannot go out hell for leather.

“We just have to build slowly. If we were to get an early goal it would be good.

“We have to think about winning the game and not about winning 5-0.

“I showed the players the first half hour of the game yesterday and there was nothing between the sides.

“They did not open us up, we were as good as them.

“When you look at it closely, Sone Aluko, Lee Miller, Darren Mackie and Gary McDonald – none of them played well.

“If those four raise their game to anywhere near their form then perhaps we can get that one or two-goal lead in the first half. That is what I am looking for.

“Imagine we were 2-0 at half-time? Then we might go hell for leather, but we will have to see what happens.â€

McGhee does not have his problems to seek. Key defender Zander Diamond’s achillies problem ensured he did not travel with the squad and forward Michael Paton is ruled with a thigh strain.

The patchwork nature of the squad could provide 19-year-old defender Jonathan Crawford with a dream debut.

McGhee said: “The squad is actually worse than it was before the first game because Michael Paton misses out with a thigh strain. I will change the team. I have not decided yet whether I am going to put Charlie Mulgrew back into defence at left back but we will shuffle it about a bit.

“Young Jonathan Crawford has done quite well in training. He has put himself in the frame. He can play at right back and we may have a look and see how he does.

“Whatever back four plays in this game I hope it will not be the back four which plays against Celtic. It is not an experiment. I am having to field this team out of necessity.â€

One early goal.. then another early goal..

Either way the players have to play like their lives fucking depended on it. I don't care if it's "mission impossible".. fucking play like you'll never play again.

Exactly. As bobo says, its a shame that Paton is out, I was hoping to see him get a run out to gain some more vital experience. They need to show they can actually play football.

We just need to play our strongest available squad and hope for the best. Win, lose or draw at least it's more experience with this new formation and strategy. I guess most fans have written it off so any win will do now, get the confidence up before the Celtic game.

f anyone is interested we're 4/1 to win tonight at the bookies.

Aye bobo, I don't think many if anyone really expects us to progress, which should work in our favour. As you rightly say, whats more important is we prepare the squad for the Celtic game. I don't think playing Crawford would be the worst idea, as at least he actually is a right back. Was he not getting decent reviews?

Aye bobo, I don't think many if anyone really expects us to progress, which should work in our favour. As you rightly say, whats more important is we prepare the squad for the Celtic game. I don't think playing Crawford would be the worst idea, as at least he actually is a right back. Was he not getting decent reviews?

I'd heard he had played some good games last season but you know what football fans are like with opinions mate.

We tried Young last week, it went terribly wrong. Credit to him for trying in an unusual position but it has to be Crawford this week, see what he is made of. I can't see Sigma playing the way they did last week, they have 5 away goals so they don't have to attack so this game could be ideal for him.

I'd heard he had played some good games last season but you know what football fans are like with opinions mate.

We tried Young last week, it went terribly wrong. Credit to him for trying in an unusual position but it has to be Crawford this week, see what he is made of. I can't see Sigma playing the way they did last week, they have 5 away goals so they don't have to attack so this game could be ideal for him.

Totally, can't fault Young for last week, and thats what I was alluding to in my other post. The pressure is off, Sigma have more than enough of a cushion so hopefully it will be an ideal situation for Crawford to be blooded and show his stuff. We need a bit of positivity from this game.

Totally, can't fault Young for last week, and thats what I was alluding to in my other post. The pressure is off, Sigma have more than enough of a cushion so hopefully it will be an ideal situation for Crawford to be blooded and show his stuff. We need a bit of positivity from this game.

Oh I knew you weren't hassling Young, don't worry.

Anyway, tonight - quick Miller 'playing for a foul' and a free kick on the edge of the box and we could be sorted  :thumbsup:

A sad indictment that we're now giving players credit for merely trying.