Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Celtic got Mowbry last night so do we get Mcgee now.

Guest onlyjim

I would be appalled if Aberdeen finished in Bottom 6 next season and I sincerely hope they don't. Calderwood has left a good platform for whoever comes in to continue improving the respectability we have taken 5 years to earn, it will certainly be interesting to see how our new boss copes with the benchmark he has set.

Football is a results business and Top 6 is minimum we can expect from any manager regardless of injuries. WM demands league stages of the Europa League, although I think that is a big ask am happy to use that as a measure against our new boss whoever they may be..

Thats Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan out of the running then.  ;D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sitting here pondering McGhees favoured 4-3-3 tactics and wondering how our current crop will get on with this system and whether the JMG mob with their 'play 4-4-2 and you will win most weeks, its not rocket science' mantra will appreciate it. ;D

I also think that Jimmy much vaunted, but often hidden, tactical nous came to the fore in some of our European games with some great performances and ultimately only being let down by the inferior players at his disposal whereas McGhees team in Europe was hammered home and away looking tactially inept. Interesting times ahead.

I was also thinking about this today - I was reading a tims forum discussion about Mowbray and a comment was made that even Jimmy Calderwood has a better european record than Mowbray does  ;D

Then that made me think of Motherwell in europe last season  >:D

The tims may have been interested last season when he took Motherwell to 3rd but lets face it that's why a lot of us don't fancy him for the dons cause he couldn't sustain it

That's why I like the look of the 2 year contract that's on offer. If he can get us to 3rd and a cup final this season, nae to mention hoping that he might get us to the league-stages of Europe, then I'll be happy with that. If he then goes on his usual run of being shite in his second season, at least we don't have a huge payout to pay to get rid of him.

The negativity on here is unbelievable. The guy is CURRENTLY the Motherwell manager, and already there appears to be a MMMG mob emerging. Think of it this way guys ... there's a strong chance we'll know what formation the Dons will be playing for most of this season. That's something you couldn't say going in to the 2008-09 season!

That's why I like the look of the 2 year contract that's on offer. If he can get us to 3rd and a cup final this season, nae to mention hoping that he might get us to the league-stages of Europe, then I'll be happy with that. If he then goes on his usual run of being shite in his second season, at least we don't have a huge payout to pay to get rid of him.

The negativity on here is unbelievable. The guy is CURRENTLY the Motherwell manager, and already there appears to be a MMMG mob emerging. Think of it this way guys ... there's a strong chance we'll know what formation the Dons will be playing for most of this season. That's something you couldn't say going in to the 2008-09 season!

I don't think you are being anymore positive than most of us? He wasn't my first choice, but hell, he's got a spot for Aberdeen in his heart and if he becomes our manager then I shall support him until he leaves. Haven't heard anyone saying that there will be a MMIG/MMMG squad ?

• 5 months later...

I don't think Celtic will sack him.  If only for the reason that they're tighter than a mermaid's bra, that lot.  I also don't think they'd want to be seen to be going down the huns-PLG route as there are a lot of rumours going about Glasgow that a lot of his players do not want to play for him. I would imagine both Lawell and Reid are the types to give a manager time.  Strachan was almost universally unpopular with the Cetlic support but they stood by him and then some.

Mowbray has made comments that his side is shite, and it is. But he's not doing himself any favours when £4m of his budget was squandered on that clown Fortune.  I quite like Mowbray, i don't think there's any bullshit about him but as with every support these days, Celtic's fans are not patient.  I blame the internet, personally...