Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Celtic

Wright, the ball just wouldn't come down for him, but then again, a better striker would have taken a touch before hand. Its not his fault, but I don't expect him to be able to do that. As you say, its all down to how good a striker you are, and McDonald showed his worth on Saturday.

He should have shifted the ball to his right hand side so he was in front of the goalside defender, meaning he was in control of the situation. Fairly basic stuff and I fully expect him to be able to do that, he's a professional footballer at a top flight club.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have shifted the ball to his right hand side so he was in front of the goalside defender, meaning he was in control of the situation. Fairly basic stuff and I fully expect him to be able to do that, he's a professional footballer at a top flight club.

As I said, a better striker would have, and yes, he should have the basic skills to be able to do that, but I wonder if he's always so determined to score he gets a rush of blood to the head and panics. Then again, you could say that about a lot of players in our squad, professional footballers at a top flight club that fail to show the basic abilities/requirements of a professional footballer.

Agreed.

He's not the quickest striker in the world either, which didn't help.

Personally I think Wright should of taken the shot on first time before letting it bounce. The bounce just seemed to take the speed off the ball so i think he was a tad unlucky but should of still put it past

You know I'm not usually pessimistic, I think its more realistic than anything else. I've had all optimism knocked out of me this season. Everytime I begin to hope, they fail to deliver. I mean, I know this is the Aberdeen way, it just feels that its been worse than normal. I have no idea why. I hope we get some form of result on Thursday, because boy do we need it!

3 points on Thursday (we should always believe that is a good prospect) turns everything around. We go into two home games against Hibs and Hearts (lets forget Ibrox as a spectacle) and should be looking for 6 points in those. I can't see UTD getting more than the 3 from Hearts.

Its all down to Thursday. Surely you can retain some degree of optimism for a result against a shaky UTD side ? You'll feel so much better when we have dispensed with them this week.  :thumbsup:

3 points on Thursday (we should always believe that is a good prospect) turns everything around. We go into two home games against Hibs and Hearts (lets forget Ibrox as a spectacle) and should be looking for 6 points in those. I can't see UTD getting more than the 3 from Hearts.

Its all down to Thursday. Surely you can retain some degree of optimism for a result against a shaky UTD side ? You'll feel so much better when we have dispensed with them this week.  :thumbsup:

Thats as much as its possible to get from them anyway

See thats the thing ajja i dont think they are that shaky, not compared to aberdeen at the moment anyway.

That is the big problem for me. There is an apparent aversion to professional pride at Pittodrie.  The only ballsy challenge today was made by an 18 year old making his SPL debut. 

I completely agree with what both you and manc have been saying.  There is a massive lack of spirit in the side, it was evident before the dunfermline replay but after that its been even more noticeable.  Add the fact that players that clearly give a shit like mackie and diamond have been out and that severin is about as inspirational as frozen yoghurt then you can see why we are having problems.  Ultimately the buck stops with calderwood, its clear to me he is unable to sufficiently motivate the players which is bloody rediculous given that most of them played in europe last season.

Agree with that tlg, they also appear to have a bit more of fight in them than us.

This is exactly what i've been saying for months. People keep saying that they are weak etc...but I can't see it? I know they had a wobble, but they've steadied the ship and seem to have their goal in their sights and making sure no-one stops them. Added to the fact that they do score late goals, I find it difficult to remain optimistic about our season let alone Thursday. But we will see, I am not being a doom merchant, as you know Ajja, I am generally fairly optimistic, but I just can't see this happening. I hope I am wrong and Thursday will be a magical beginning to the start of our season.

btw BB, you been rucking with the Partick boys again, I can hear the chopper ;)

btw BB, you been rucking with the Partick boys again, I can hear the chopper ;)

I wouldn't mess with the NGE, mate... well, not on my own, anyway  ;)

Was just watching it there, it was hovering over what looked to be Charing X area, but was really high up, possibly looking at the motorway. 

See thats the thing ajja i dont think they are that shaky, not compared to aberdeen at the moment anyway.

Last 20 fixtures:

Dons - Won 8, Drawn 8, Lost 4

UTD - Won 6, Drawn 9, Lost 5

I'd say they are every bit as shaky as us, if not more so. Don't believe the hype that surrounds UTD and Avril Levein. Just because they give Rangers & Celtic a game every time they play them doesn't mean they are the team you read about.  The myopic media view every team through how they play against the OF without taking any time to understand how banal and shite they can be outwith.

I had a wee look at the stats before i posted that ajj and i can see where you are coming from.  That said even though they have only got two wins in the past five the attitude of the players has been very much never say die and i think this is going to be evident in the game on thursday

I had a wee look at the stats before i posted that ajj and i can see where you are coming from.  That said even though they have only got two wins in the past five the attitude of the players has been very much never say die and i think this is going to be evident in the game on thursday

Fair point, and not without substance. However, it possibly indicates the real position of a club like UTD when they are playing with a never say die attitude and their manager is being presented as potential manager of the year throughout a season where they are struggling to hold onto 4th best. Clearly I carry much bias in this view but I think UTD are severly over-rated as a team at present. We, on the other hand, are playing beneath ourselves most weeks with players who excel in apathy and our fans are screaming for our managers head on a stick yet we are still challenging UTD for 4th best.

That is the main reason why I would never see a trip to Tannandice as any sort of foregone conclusion. Far from it. Thats not to say that UTD won't be hungrier or simply better than us on the night but the fact still remains that on the day, if we play how we should, we can take 3 points. No question.

Fair point, and not without substance. However, it possibly indicates the real position of a club like UTD when they are playing with a never say die attitude and their manager is being presented as potential manager of the year throughout a season where they are struggling to hold onto 4th best. Clearly I carry much bias in this view but I think UTD are severly over-rated as a team at present. We, on the other hand, are playing beneath ourselves most weeks with players who excel in apathy and our fans are screaming for our managers head on a stick yet we are still challenging UTD for 4th best.

That is the main reason why I would never see a trip to Tannandice as any sort of foregone conclusion. Far from it. Thats not to say that UTD won't be hungrier or simply better than us on the night but the fact still remains that on the day, if we play how we should, we can take 3 points. No question.

I totally agree that we are more than capable of going there and winning and if there was ever a point in the season where the players need to take a wee look in the mirror and have a word with themselves its thursday.  The only thing i would disagree with is that utd are over rated, i think they are a good team with a very good manager. 

I think United are playing at the level I would expect them to, but as you rightly say Ajja, we are currently severely underperforming. I think its just the inconsistency of everyone around us that we are even still within a shout of fourth. If we get it, I will be chuffed and it will be a show of character from the players and the club. They have faced criticism this season (and rightly so) but have yet to prove that the criticism is unjustified. Three points are not inconceivable, though unlikely with the way they are performing. But as i've said before, football is a strange game in which anything can happen ;) Hopefully their fight begins on Thursday!

:AFC: