Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

By the old Google earth, its about 3 times the distance fae Union St to Cove than it is to the current site!

Anyway its a pish site so AFC if theu have any sense should fuck this idea off NOW!!

How does that compre with buckleys in turra?

Have you ever been to Aberdeen?

My mate once walked home on a Saturday night to Cove because he couldn't be fucked waiting for a taxi... he said, "Never Again!".

I walked it once from Makro to town cause my car broke down... nae something I'd ever want to do again!

16461704_30b9c6a879.jpg

Have you ever been to Aberdeen?

My mate once walked home on a Saturday night to Cove because he couldn't be fucked waiting for a taxi... he said, "Never Again!".

I walked it once from Makro to town cause my car broke down... nae something I'd ever want to do again!

You make it sound like a trek through the Himalayas, its only Cove min.

If we were to move to this new site, would you want it to be called a proper name such as Loriston Loch/New Pittodrie or would you be happy with a corporate name such as the Emirates stadium?

The 'Aberdeen Arena' for me but if some company is willing to come in and pay for it then the 'Durex Dommy Dome' or 'Tampax Sanitary Stadium' will do for me.

The 'Aberdeen Arena' for me but if some company is willing to come in and pay for it then the 'Durex Dommy Dome' or 'Tampax Sanitary Stadium' will do for me.

I think the Northern Light Stadium would be good. Would also like to see the stands named after Dons Legends. The Willie Miller Stand, The Alex Ferguson Stand, The Dougie Bell End etc...

I think the Northern Light Stadium would be good. Would also like to see the stands named after Dons Legends. The Willie Miller Stand, The Alex Ferguson Stand, The Dougie Bell End etc...

:thumbsup:

I agree with both names, either Aberdeen arenA or the Northern light Stadium.  :thumbsup:

I'd thought of the Northern Light Stadium before but then know only too well that away fans will weave magic with the pun-work and quickly rename it as the Northern Shite Stadium.

The Granite City Stadium makes us sound hard but then we've got the City / Shitty problem again.

The Dougie Bell End however, definitely should be erected.

I'd thought of the Northern Light Stadium before but then know only too well that away fans will weave magic with the pun-work and quickly rename it as the Northern Shite Stadium.

The Granite City Stadium makes us sound hard but then we've got the City / Shitty problem again.

The Dougie Bell End however, definitely should be erected.

No doubt some of the "home" fans, too...  ::)

Mizer! I'm sure that was a load of shite! You were supposed to buy tickets before hand, but as I was informed by my mates in Munich, German public transport is effectively free because the Germans are honest people and pay for things!

Still, I think that Loirsten is a bad idea and would have preferred Kings Links, but was there not also an issue with option to expand? I.e. there wasn't enough room? This was something that Loirston offered. As long as there will be good transport links (highly unlikely) I would be fine with it as I can't see the club choosing anything in the city limits.

Mizer is in fact right. Travel to and from the match venue and the city centre on public transport is free when you purchase a ticket for a football match in Germany. 

Wildlife row over Aberdeen FC stadium site

Residents slam Loirston plan

By Andrew Whitaker political reporter :ooh:

Published: 07/04/2009

RESIDENTS’ groups today hit out at Aberdeen Football Club’s plans to build a £38 million stadium on a greenbelt site.

A study carried out by the club and Aberdeen City Council has recommended Loirston Loch, at Nigg, as the preferred location for a 22,000-seat community stadium.

But community council bosses in Nigg and Cove have slammed the Aberdeen FC scheme.

The objections centre around possible damage to the greenbelt and to wildlife living nearby the Loirston stadium.

Cove and Altens Community Council chairman Andy Finlayson said: “People have not been consulted about these plans to build over what is the only freshwater loch in the city.

“If a great big stadium is built over this and near the wildlife we have, it would be disastrous.

He added an “enormous parking area†would lead to the loss of greenbelt land.

Nigg Community Council chairman Alan Strachan has already said the plans could lead to the “destruction of the greenbeltâ€.

However, a spokesman for Aberdeen Football Club today promised to listen to any concerns about the scheme.

The spokesman said: “We want to minimise any negative impact and will do all we can to allay people’s concerns.â€

A full report on the stadium is due to go before the Aberdeen City Council policy and strategy committee on April 28.

• 3 weeks later...
Club hits out at critics of community stadium plan

Arena at Loirston ‘would be for the people’

By Neil Evans political reporter ???

Published: 23/04/2009

FOOTBALL club bosses today insisted a new stadium will be for the whole community and not just a home for Aberdeen FC.

Critics of the £38 million Arena Community Stadium project have said proposals for a 22,000-seater ground at Loirston Loch would just be used by Aberdeen FC, not shared with other groups.

Chairman of Nigg Community Council Alan Strachan hit out at the plans.

He said: “I don’t think this will be a stadium for the community.

But the club hit back at his suggestions and promised it would be a stadium for the people.

A club spokesman said: “The community has always been at the forefront of everything we do. Any stadium these days has to be operating almost 24/7.

“In the consultation process, we will be asking the public what sort of things they want done for the community.â€

Loirston Loch has been recommended as a preferred location for the stadium, over King’s Links near Pittodrie.

The Loirston plans also include a 3,000-seater stadium with an artificial pitch next to the main arena that would become the new home of Highland League champions Cove Rangers.

And there have also been discussions with the Scottish Rugby Union about hosting international matches.

A spokeswoman for the Arena project said community consultation was “essentialâ€.

“The focal point of discussions has centred round which of the two sites would provide the best stadium location.

“Now we know the answer to this, we will be launching a consultation process to find out the ‘wish list’ for community groups.â€

Jesus fuck it's not as if Nigg has great architecturally designed oil company offices, or car dealerships or industrial units, it's a mish mash of fairly ugly buildings.

As for the "fresh water Loch" it's a big fucking puddle, and anyway I thought the idea was to build the stadium next to it not over it.

As for the destruction of green belt, this is fucking Scotland were talking about not London. One park being built on won't make the blindest bit of difference to the "green belt".

As for the wildlife  ::) where do you start? A couple of seagulls won't be able to pick up a few worms?  Surely then the stadium will be positive providing the poor seagulls with a more varied diet, how many different pies can you get at Pittodrie these days? ;D

Guest fatshaft

This is the biggest issue affecting the club and fans must fight for what they want.

But plenty are quite happy with the Cove idea.

Main argument against Cove seems to be that those who now walk and/or have a pint in the golf clubs/broadhill won't be able to do that anymore.

Against that are those who don't walk at present, and anything has to be better for drivers than what we have to endure now. Running around looking for parking, queueing for ages to leave, and jams all the way out of town. Now assuming the WPR is built as well, very few drivers will be worse off with Cove, and most will be much better off.

There is also the traditional home argument. Well ask anyone who goes to the Reebok, Pride Park, Keepmoat, Stadium of Light or Madjeski if they'd rather go back, you'll only get a "yes" from those who used to walk and/or have a pint in the (equivalent of) golf clubs/broadhill bars.

Whenever there is change, there will be winners and losers individually, but AFC overall (club & fans) will be a winner, and it's £4m cheaper than at the links, so why, when AFC get slated so often about the lack of funds we spend on players, would we want that extra debt, and subsequent reduction in potantial wages/transfer fees?

I should clarify, that while I am not at many games, when I am up, I go from BoD and drink in the Caley, so a move to Cove is highly inconvenient for me too. It's not nearly enough to be against the development though.

Main argument against Cove seems to be that those who now walk and/or have a pint in the golf clubs/broadhill won't be able to do that anymore.

I walk and have a pint in the golf clubs but I'm up for a new stadium, somewhere, anywhere!  Pittodrie has become a morgue, despite the Ultras best efforts.  Also, by the time the damn thing gets built, I doubt I am still living within walking distance of Pittodrie anyway.