Thank you and Goodbye / Calderwood's position untenable

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was obvious it wasn't working long before the 60 minute mark.  :-[

:thumbsup:

I totally agree as I pointed out in another post (another thread I think), it was apparent after 10 mins or so how the game was panning out.  However, most managers usually get them in at half-time, try and sort things out and wait 10-20 mins to see if he's made a difference before making changes.  

This is what Calderwood did around the 60-70 mark (I think Mair was forced through injury apparently  :-\), however he took the wrong option putting Considine on when he could've moved Severin back instead, leaving himself with the option of changing things higher up the pitch which is where the problem was.  Going 4-5-1 killed us as it made the long-ball problem worse (only having Mackie to aim at).   :hammer:

Tommy Wright should have been on instead of Mackie or Maguire, but truth be told everyone in a dons shirt last night was shite.

What do you lot want, Jimmy out? why not sack all the players too?

Face facts, no-one is going to want to come to a club like ours - why - cos we have fans calling for the heads of our managers as soon as they are in a job, they get fuck all to spend, and have a clown running the club.

Jimmy's reign has been the best in recent history, but yes, last night was a disgrace - Jimmy's fault? - not completely - he can only take so much of the blame, when the 11 players that were on the park couldn't even control the ball properly -they take the majority of blame.

Of course, most of you on here will have a good idea for our next manager - but unless they are unemployed and you stump up cash to sack Jimmy - suck it up and SUPPORT the club - even if the players wearing the shirts embarrass the club.

Am glad to see a sensible thread about last night, had a peek next door and some of the vitriol is absolute nonsense.

In regards to the team put out last night, it was a team designed to attack with pace - a task performed for about 10 minutes,  I can agree with his initial selection. Smith, Aluko, Mackie and Maguire all had it in their locker to tear that defence open.

Why the team switched off is beyond me it was all to play for, we can play football but the players chose not to being dragged into a game at division 1 level. Am sure as hell any SPL manager starting with 2 wingers would not tell a team to resort to longballs for 90 minutes.

However failings are again obvious, the mantra of lets play to cancel them out led to Severin sitting on Phinn and effectively put us a man down in midfield, that man being our playmaker. FFS just play our own game and let teams worry about us without the tinkering, while your considering that bring in some youngsters.

Dunfermline played a spoiling game, were restricted to random shots from 25-30 yards and Langfield had very little to do, they played for the pens and took the chance when it arose. It's not easy to beat a team with 6 at the back.

The fundamental question remains - who would replace Calderwood? Followed by what would it cost?

As frustrating as being found out 2 years on the trot in the SC,  who is to say that in 5 years we are back to bottom 6 relegation rubbish and wondering was the fatman really that bad. He has brought us respectability, and with the Euro run halved our debt. These things look good on a managers cv regardless of the product on the park. It will take another manager to move us from respectability to respected.

Top 6 is essential, 3rd wont even please some, however at present I dont think there is a real alternative to our current regime.

I did not applaud Pars last night due to their shitey style of football, QOTS deserved the applause last season due to playing us off the pitch at times.

Pittodrie - as much as I love the old lady, atmosphere is dreadful too many mood hoovers among our fans..

Top 6 is essential, 3rd wont even please some, however at present I dont think there is a real alternative to our current regime.

But the fact you or anyone else here think there's no real alternative surely doesn't mean we stick with something that essentially isn't working properly?  I can understand your point, but I don't think this can be used as an excuse to stick with him anymore. 

This makes no f*cking sense although retarded statements like this are what we've come to expect from you.   :thumbsup:

When I first joined this forum (not that far back) I used to think your postings seemed sensible enough, and that, for some reason, most others seemed to think you were a wanker. I can see all the reasons now!

I would also imagine you share some sort of gene with Glasgow West and Red  :wanker:.

Tommy Wright should have been on instead of Mackie or Maguire, but truth be told everyone in a dons shirt last night was shite.

Face facts, no-one is going to want to come to a club like ours - why - cos we have fans calling for the heads of our managers as soon as they are in a job, they get fuck all to spend, and have a clown running the club.

Jimmy's reign has been the best in recent history, but yes, last night was a disgrace - Jimmy's fault? - not completely - he can only take so much of the blame, when the 11 players that were on the park couldn't even control the ball properly -they take the majority of blame.

Of course, most of you on here will have a good idea for our next manager - but unless they are unemployed and you stump up cash to sack Jimmy - suck it up and SUPPORT the club - even if the players wearing the shirts embarrass the club.

I'd like to think that isn't directed at most on this site because it really couldn't be much further from the truth.

I think sacking Calderwood at the moment is a) not sensible and b) just in't going to happen, however after the season has finished, there clearly needs to be a review from which i would like to see a new manager in place.

Now the difficult question whos that gonna be. Personally, a would not go for you're middle of the road experienced manager, a think it's time to take a risk and appoint a young manager, give them their first job and let them bring modern thinking and fresh ideas. For example, is Eoin Jess taking his coaching badges or whatever pish you need to be a manager? why don't we try and get someone of that ilk, someone young, maybe someone with a connection with the club, although not a necessity.

It's time to take a risk, at the moment we are stuck in a rut and the appointment of a jeffries, hughes mcghee etc isn't going to change this, lets buck the trend and go for someone leftfild, whether the board have the baws to do that is of cours another matter

Rant over

I think sacking Calderwood at the moment is a) not sensible and b) just in't going to happen, however after the season has finished, there clearly needs to be a review from which i would like to see a new manager in place.

Now the difficult question whos that gonna be. Personally, a would not go for you're middle of the road experienced manager, a think it's time to take a risk and appoint a young manager, give them their first job and let them bring modern thinking and fresh ideas. For example, is Eoin Jess taking his coaching badges or whatever pish you need to be a manager? why don't we try and get someone of that ilk, someone young, maybe someone with a connection with the club, although not a necessity.

It's time to take a risk, at the moment we are stuck in a rut and the appointment of a jeffries, hughes mcghee etc isn't going to change this, lets buck the trend and go for someone leftfild, whether the board have the baws to do that is of cours another matter

Rant over

See I don't think it is time to go for a risky manager, but maybe thats just me. Last time we tried it we nearly got relegated (Paterson). Him and Shearer were supposed to be the hottest duo in Scotland and we got them, but it failed miserably. To be honest, I just can't see who we would a) be able to afford b) want.  :-\

Rant over

Good well thought out post, welcome on board  8)

I dont think the board will be doing anything soon (possibbly if we dont make the top 6) but in all honesty I can see them not wanting to sack him in the summer either as it will cost too much. As for replacement managers, there is not any candidates jumping out which does help Calderwoods case with the board. 

Rant over

Paterson

Aitken

Miller

This is our track record with inexperienced managersso you wont mind if i treat the idea with some trepidation.  Only way i would be happy with an inexperienced manager was if he was a ex dandy and the only one i can think of that has managerial potential in my opinion is eric black.  I think one of the most important things with our next managerial appointment is getting someone the fans will unite behind, this will at least get our attendances up a wee bit.  

Rant over

I disagree with the first point, that we shouldn't get rid of Jimmy now. I think if he had any self respect he would realise he has taken us as far as he can and would go of his own accord.

On the second part, re a young, untested manager, I fully agree. I thing someone who previously played for his shirt at the club would be a bonus, but as you say, not a necessity. It is time for the club to do something brave, I suppose the first part of being brave will be the discusion with Jimmy.

But we need new blood in other areas of the club too. What are the youth development and scouting teams doing? Other, so called smaller clubs than ours, seem to be able to attract better talent and bring on more gifted youngsters.

When has this happened? Apart from Alex Miller most managers have got at least a season beofe the fans have turned. There will be plenty of managers wanting the Aberdeen job because despite what you think we are still a big club and will be seen as a good opportunity.

When has this happened? Apart from Alex Miller most managers have got at least a season beofe the fans have turned. There will be plenty of managers wanting the Aberdeen job because despite what you think we are still a big club and will be seen as a good opportunity.

What is the definition of a big club then?

How much longer will we be able to call ourselves that, assuming we legitimately still can?

I'm not convinced we will be seen as a good opportunity  :-\

Time to make the move now though, not the end of the season. Like somebody else said, young fresh blood being given an opportunity. I think someone in that category would see it as a good opportunity. A gamble maybe, but one worth taking.

Look where the good football got them mate.  Sorry to buck the trend here, and I am as gutted/angry/despondent/bewildered as all the other posters tonight, but while setbacks like this are unbearably painfull - the name of the game for football clubs these days is survival.  With Jimmy Calderwood at the helm we'll survive, ocassional highs punctuated with terrible lows, padded out by weeks and weeks of mediocrity inbetween.

Taking in a new manager may ease the pain for an (undoubtedly growing) number of disgruntled dons fans, but will certainly not guarantee any improvement of the product on the pitch, or indeed the prospects of winning any silverware.  Maybe now is the time for a change, but there's a good chance we'll be no better off for it.

No matter how often this shite happens, it doesn't get any easier does it.  :(

Well said that man  :thumbsup:

This is my first post in the aftermath of Wednesday's night's debacle - funny thing is I wasn't surprised that we succumbed so meekly to a supposedly inferior team this is unfortunately what Jimmy will ultimately be remembered for

So onwards and upwards - nothing else for it - will be get into europe - I doubt it - will be fall into the bottom 6 - more than likely

One thing for sure I won't be applauding any of the team on Saturday when they come out the tunnel and they better show willing to get stuck in and earn 3 points 

See I don't think it is time to go for a risky manager, but maybe thats just me. Last time we tried it we nearly got relegated (Paterson). Him and Shearer were supposed to be the hottest duo in Scotland and we got them, but it failed miserably. To be honest, I just can't see who we would a) be able to afford b) want.  :-\

Paterson

Aitken

Miller

This is our track record with inexperienced managersso you wont mind if i treat the idea with some trepidation.  Only way i would be happy with an inexperienced manager was if he was a ex dandy and the only one i can think of that has managerial potential in my opinion is eric black.  I think one of the most important things with our next managerial appointment is getting someone the fans will unite behind, this will at least get our attendances up a wee bit. 

I hadn't really thought about it but perhaps a young manager isn't a bad idea to add a bit of freshness.  Any experienced manager is going to be similar to JC (Mcghee, Jefferies) and an exciting left field appointment would be interesting.

Our recent experience of young managers isn't that relevant as both Aitken and Paterson both came into the job when the team was fucking woeful and (near) bottom of the league.  When Miller came in he initially did a brilliant job, 2nd in everything, but only faltered at a later date.

Look where the good football got them mate.  Sorry to buck the trend here, and I am as gutted/angry/despondent/bewildered as all the other posters tonight, but while setbacks like this are unbearably painfull - the name of the game for football clubs these days is survival.  With Jimmy Calderwood at the helm we'll survive, ocassional highs punctuated with terrible lows, padded out by weeks and weeks of mediocrity inbetween.

Taking in a new manager may ease the pain for an (undoubtedly growing) number of disgruntled dons fans, but will certainly not guarantee any improvement of the product on the pitch, or indeed the prospects of winning any silverware.  Maybe now is the time for a change, but there's a good chance we'll be no better off for it.

No matter how often this shite happens, it doesn't get any easier does it.  :(

Of course there is a chance we'll be no better but there is also a chance we will be better, after all it's not that much of an improvement we are after, just the ability to beat lower division sides in the cup and take advantage of easy draws (although better football and a more coherent tactical approach wouldn't go a miss)

If we stick with JC we know what we're going to get. Dull, predictable football in the league where we will start poorly, finish well and be mediocre in the middle.  Fans will moan, get bored and drift away, and we'll face annual humilation in the cup.

JC has done a superb job but it is time for a change, to take a risk so as to aim that wee bit higher and get a new man in over the summer

Try making sense in your postings and don't contradict yourself then.

In the absence of having your own opinions you appear to sit at your computer - probably with a box of mansize kleenex - :wanker: trying to pick holes in others.

Summed up in three symbols - ???:wanker:

Guest fatshaft

What is the definition of a big club then?

How much longer will we be able to call ourselves that, assuming we legitimately still can?

I'm not convinced we will be seen as a good opportunity  :-\

Time to make the move now though, not the end of the season. Like somebody else said, young fresh blood being given an opportunity. I think someone in that category would see it as a good opportunity. A gamble maybe, but one worth taking.

Of course we are. The best time to take over anything is when it is struggling, that goes for football or just about any business, becasue you can;t do worse than failure. Take over a success and you have a hard act to follow. Who for example would take on the Man Utd job once Fergie retires?

Following Jimmy however is to replace a man who has seen us go through our first trophyless decade since the 60s, a man who hasn;t taken us to a cup final, a man who has got us into 3rd place once.

There has just about never been a better time than now to take over.

Of course we are. The best time to take over anything is when it is struggling, that goes for football or just about any business, becasue you can;t do worse than failure. Take over a success and you have a hard act to follow. Who for example would take on the Man Utd job once Fergie retires?

Following Jimmy however is to replace a man who has seen us go through our first trophyless decade since the 60s, a man who hasn;t taken us to a cup final, a man who has got us into 3rd place once.

There has just about never been a better time than now to take over.

Fair enough, I take your point. I was more meaning from the point of a club hungry for success where little or no resources will be available.

That said, that probably covers a multitude of clubs  :-\

As frustrating as being found out 2 years on the trot in the SC,  who is to say that in 5 years we are back to bottom 6 relegation rubbish and wondering was the fatman really that bad. He has brought us respectability, and with the Euro run halved our debt. These things look good on a managers cv regardless of the product on the park. It will take another manager to move us from respectability to respected.

But who's to say that in 5 years we aren't SPL Champions and in the last 8 of the Champions League, looking back wondering why we stuck with the fatman so long after the QoTS result? He only brough us respectability and not silverware, and so on.....

You can't just assume the second (if) Calderwood leaves we'll be pish again? To quote the great man himself:

"Living in the Future? None of this has happened yet"

I did not applaud Pars last night due to their shitey style of football, QOTS deserved the applause last season due to playing us off the pitch at times.

As did not I! I couldn't understand why anybody did it to be honest? I had a go at my mates for doing it and they were all "Nit - They deserve it" - damn fools.

Paterson

Aitken

Miller

This is our track record with inexperienced managers so you wont mind if i treat the idea with some trepidation.  Only way i would be happy with an inexperienced manager was if he was a ex dandy and the only one i can think of that has managerial potential in my opinion is eric black.  I think one of the most important things with our next managerial appointment is getting someone the fans will unite behind, this will at least get our attendances up a wee bit.  

Again, on the flip side of the coin, inexperienced managers we bround in who did well include:

Willie Miller

Ally McLeod

and some boy Ferguson?!