Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Hamilton

Jimmy Calderwood spoke to RedTV at lunchtime. "The injury situation is slightly improving. Gary McDonald should be back with the group tomorrow but will obviously not be available for selection for Saturday and Wednesday might be a wee bit early but we'll see how it goes, he's a very fit lad. Big Lee is still out but he is improving. I doubt if he'll be back for Hibs but he is hoping to be available for Scotland, should he be selected. The two of them have been really big players for us this season and it was a relief to have Gary's scan comeback ok.

"Hamilton have done incredibly well after coming up from the First Division and I would argue that Billy is the only manager who has remained consistent throughout the season. We've all had our highs and our lows but Hamilton have remained constant throughout. He has some great players and I understand that a few of them are out through suspension or injury but I don't think that will make too much of a difference. I mean, we had nine first team players out last season and managed to beat a strong United team. I think Hamilton will be more looking toward the top six than looking behind them.

"I think we were unlucky not to beat them here earlier in the season. Aluko was on fire and we went a goal up but we just didn't capitalise on our lead and they punished us for it. We never turned up at Douglas Park in January. They've beaten us twice this season so it would be very nice to get the victory over them.

"We've got to start winning, it's all down to us. Three draws just isn't good enough for us and we have another week to start turning things around, we're not going to have too many more weeks when we can say this. We need to get up this league, firstly to ensure we're in the top six and secondly to try and get up there to 3rd place."

Aberdeen (from): Langfield, Mair, Diamond, Severin, Mulgrew, Duff, Smith, Kerr, Young, Aluko, Wright, Bossu, Considine, Foster, Mackie, Maguire, Vidal, Stewart.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What line-up would you go for tomorrow?

Aberdeen (from): Langfield, Mair, Diamond, Severin, Mulgrew, Duff, Smith, Kerr, Young, Aluko, Wright, Bossu, Considine, Foster, Mackie, Maguire, Vidal, Stewart.

Langfield

Diamond Severin Considine

Vidal Duff Kerr Smith

Aluko

Maguire Mackie

Guest ally s

Langfield

Vidal Duff Kerr Smith

Aluko

Maguire Mackie

Langfield

Vidal  Severin  Diamond  Mulgrew

Smith  Kerr  Young  Aluko

Wright  Mackie

ABERDEEN FC are hoping wing duo Jamie Smith and Sone Aluko will provide the key to unlocking the Hamilton defence at Pittodrie tomorrow.

Accies have clawed themselves up from the foot of the SPL to chase a top six spot by adopting a rigid 3-6-1 formation.

Aberdeen FC boss Jimmy Calderwood expects them to continue along the same lines in tomorrow’s clash, despite Hamilton boss Billy Reid’s plans being hampered by a spate of injuries.

But Jimmy Calderwood has faith that the wing skills of Smith and Aluko will give them the winning edge.

Calderwood said: “We are fortunate to have two of the best wide players in Scotland here at the same time and they will be important to us tomorrow.

“Jamie Smith is capable of unlocking any defence.

“He has wonderful skill in both feet – some of the goals he has been scoring in training this week have been unbelievable.

“Sone Aluko is the same, and it has always been my dream to see what we would be like with both of them enjoying regular runs.

“It’s what the fans want to see – players going at opponents with the ball to tease and torment them.

“They are a dying breed and any fan of football would want to watch Sone and Jamie playing as much as possible.

“There’s a buzz around the stadium when they get the ball.

Langfield

Vidal Duff Kerr Smith

Aluko

Maguire Mackie

Aye, and if JC goes three at the back and we don't win (as we generally don't when we go with that) you'd be calling him for everything!

Why should we change our team to suit... Needless tinkering.... Players should be good enough to beat... etc etc

Besides, I think our players (perhaps most players in Scottish football) are too thick to play anything other than 4-4-2. Keep it simple.

Aye, and if JC goes three at the back and we don't win (as we generally don't when we go with that) you'd be calling him for everything!

The reason I went for three at the back was I fell Mulgrew should be dropped for his poor defensive performances. Vidal has been poor too but pushing him forward and letting him use his pace and control of the ball when running would bring a good attacking dimension. Looking at the other options I cant see who to put in at left or right back so that is why I went for a three.

I agree we generally dont play well with three at the back but if Hamilton are only going to be playing one up front, lets give it a go.

The reason I went for three at the back was I fell Mulgrew should be dropped for his poor defensive performances. Vidal has been poor too but pushing him forward and letting him use his pace and control of the ball when running would bring a good attacking dimension. Looking at the other options I cant see who to put in at left or right back so that is why I went for a three.

I agree we generally dont play well with three at the back but if Hamilton are only going to be playing one up front, lets give it a go.

I'd play Foster or Mair RB before Vidal.

442 FTW!

Indeed, I think we were all a bit scared by Vidals performance at RB against St Mirren.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reasoning. I'd maybe even go as far as putting Foster on McArthy for the match.

But anyhow, for grins here's my starting XI

Langfield

Foster  Diamond  Seve  Mulgrew

Mackie  Kerr  Young  Aluko

Wright  Maguire

Well if we're only playing aginst 2 men we'll surely win?

:lolabove:

Kowalski, I used to think the same thing about Vidal, but for the St Mirren game he was absolute murder. I don't want to chance him against a team that can actually score a couple against us. I agree with the comment re foster on Mcarthy for the game. Its what Foster does best, man marking the fuck out of a talented player.

9 men is something of an exaggeration. They have 4 definitely out injured and one suspended. The rest were described as "struggling for fitness for the visitors but may still feature", so I expect most, if not all of them to start.

I see, I was only told about it from a hun in work who is taking us on his coupon due to that fact.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reasoning. I'd maybe even go as far as putting Foster on McArthy for the match.

But anyhow, for grins here's my starting XI

Langfield

Foster   Diamond   Seve  Mulgrew

Mackie  Kerr  Young  Aluko

Wright  Maguire

Is that a joke Funster ? Surprised you aren't looking for Smith to start ?

Calderwood’s determined streak

Dons manager rallies his troops as they seek first win in seven matches

By Michael Gannon

Published: 14/03/2009

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood is determined to finally get the better of Hamilton Accies at Pittodrie today and get the Dons’ SPL campaign back on track.

Calderwood’s men have lost twice to Accies this season, 2-1 at Pittodrie in September and then 2-0 at New Douglas Park in January. The Dons struggled to cope with the pace of Hamilton’s talented young players in the first encounter and were squeezed out by Billy Reid’s unorthodox 3-6-1 formation in the return.

Calderwood is expecting another difficult test today but he is determined to earn a first victory in seven matches. He said: “We have had problems with them in the past and I am sure they will give us more problems today. It would be nice to get the victory against them this time.

“We cannot say we owe them one. They beat us twice and we were lucky to win the cup tie at Pittodrie last season, when they deserved at least a draw.â€

Calderwood is an admirer of Accies and their talented young players James McCarthy, who scored the winner at Pittodrie in September, and James McArthur, in particular.

McArthur is set to return to face the Dons after a spell out with a knee injury.

Calderwood said: “I know James McCarthy gets a lot of press but James McArthur is a wonderful player also.

“Richard Offiong and the likes of Alex Neil do a great job for them as well. They have a good system and a lot of spirit in the side.â€

Calderwood will be without forward Lee Miller and midfielder Gary McDonald. Jamie Smith has suffered no reaction to playing his first 90 minutes since last August at Dunfermline last week.

Aberdeen poor run must end here, says Duff

hamilton hoodoo has to be broken as the euro race hots up

By Michael Gannon

Published: 14/03/2009

Aberdeen midfielder Stuart Duff reckons the Dons can count themselves lucky not to be out of the race for third place in the SPL, given their recent poor run of results.

The Dons have failed to win in their last six SPL matches, picking up just four points from 24 to trail third-placed Hearts by eight points going into the final 10 games.

Duff knows victory against Hamilton Accies at Pittodrie today is a must. He said: “The manager has told us we have to get back to winning ways as there have been too many draws lately. With all due respect to Hamilton, we haven't played well against them and that has to change.

“Hearts are eight points ahead and there are only so many times we can keep saying we can catch them now the games are running out.

“We are quite fortunate to still be in touch but we need to beat Hamilton regardless of what happens anywhere else this weekend.

“There's no point looking around for help from elsewhere if we are not getting the right results ourselves.

“It's got to be a winning run now as there's no leeway for mistakes and if we can do that then we will overhaul Hearts and Dundee United.

“Hamilton is probably the most important game for the club since the turn of the year as we need to start winning in the league again. That would give us a lot of confidence for the Scottish Cup tie on Wednesday so this can be the launch of a good end to the season.

“The converse of that is two defeats would be a massive blow to everyone so we all realise what is at stake.â€

Duff has been used in a variety of different roles across the midfield but played at full back in last weekend’s 1-1 Scottish Cup draw at Dunfermline.

The 26-year-old insists he will play wherever asked by manager Jimmy Calderwood but he is keen for a sustained run in one role.

He said: “Playing is the most important thing after my injury but I have moved around a bit lately and that can go against you.

“I don’t mind doing that now and again because it's the team that matters but there comes a time when every player has to say enough's enough. Mind you, if the manager thinks I can do a job for him in there then you have to take confidence from that situation.â€

That is the right attitude Duffers, show it on the park like we know the team can do!

Enough of this respect shite, we need to fucking fire right into them from the get go and not take our foot of the pedal! COME ON YOU REDS!  :ultras: :ultras: