Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

Swiss were supposedly close to overtaking scotland in the coefficient table.

Basel and Luzern eliminated

Servette and Young boys guaranteed Europa League group stage with latter still with a chance of champs league.

Lugano guaranteed conference league.

Tic - Champs League group

SEVCO - Guaranteed Europa League groups

Dons - Guaranteed Conference league

Hibs and Hearts - Personally wouldnt rule either of them out of beating Villa and PAOK over 2 Legs

4 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

Swiss were supposedly close to overtaking scotland in the coefficient table.

If they don't this season then they are due to at the end of next season when Scotland are projected to fall to 14th, because this is the last season where our coefficient ranking from 19/20 -  when we scored a fairly impressive 9.75 points when the old firm both made the knockout stages in Europe - is counted.

We need a very good season this year and next to stay in the top 10.

Being 14th would mean losing the automatic group stage spot for cup win/third place. Fall to 16th and we'd drop from five teams in Europe to four.

3 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Plenty of coefficient implications so I’m sure I should feel differently, but I don’t give a fuck about other Scottish teams in Europe. Quite enjoy seeing them fail actually.

That's ace. 

If you think Aberdeen alone can carry the coefficient then crack on. But I dunno, I guess I kinda like knowing we've got guaranteed group stage football until Christmas, rather than fighting hard to knock out a Swiss team only to find Aston Villa standing in the way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Panda said:

If they don't this season then they are due to at the end of next season when Scotland are projected to fall to 14th, because this is the last season where our coefficient ranking from 19/20 -  when we scored a fairly impressive 9.75 points when the old firm both made the knockout stages in Europe - is counted.

We need a very good season this year and next to stay in the top 10.

Being 14th would mean losing the automatic group stage spot for cup win/third place. Fall to 16th and we'd drop from five teams in Europe to four.

That's ace. 

If you think Aberdeen alone can carry the coefficient then crack on. But I dunno, I guess I kinda like knowing we've got guaranteed group stage football until Christmas, rather than fighting hard to knock out a Swiss team only to find Aston Villa standing in the way. 

As I said, plenty of coefficient implications. Of course them doing well benefits us and it’s so much harder doing it alone. I just don’t give to shits whether they succeed. Much like taking pleasure in England losing.

19 minutes ago, Panda said:

This sums up the world's problems.

It doesn't actually. The problem is with the existing setup, the coefficient is just a rancid mechanism used by weirdos to try to garner support for that system. As Aberdeen fans, we've been gaslit for nearly three decades by the whole "you've got to support Scottish teams in Europe, think about the coefficient" as if it's some sort of rising tide that lifts all boats. It's absolute fucking bullshit, and just because Aberdeen are now a beneficiary doesn't make it less so. It'd be a net benefit for Scottish football to have no automatic conference qualification under the existing setup, just as it is for there to be no champions league qualification. There is zero benefit to all other teams in Scotland from Aberdeen, hearts and Hibs doing well, and they should - correctly - be hoping for our demise. There is no unified Scottish football, and it's extremely disingenuous to suggest. Aberdeen fans wanting other teams to do well is purely out of self interest, and that sums up the world's problems.

9 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Aberdeen fans wanting other teams to do well is purely out of self interest, 

Yeh, supporting Aberdeen is self interest. I don't sit and hope that over the next 5 years all the trophies will be evenly shared out among all the clubs.

4 minutes ago, Panda said:

Yeh, supporting Aberdeen is self interest. I don't sit and hope that over the next 5 years all the trophies will be evenly shared out among all the clubs.

And by supporting that, you (not you individually, you/me have zero influence) ensure that Aberdeen's chances are limited. I guess that's the mirror of today's middle class - thus summing up the world's problems.

58 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

And by supporting that, you (not you individually, you/me have zero influence) ensure that Aberdeen's chances are limited. I guess that's the mirror of today's middle class - thus summing up the world's problems.

Explain how wanting Aberdeen to win everything "ensures that Aberdeen's chances are limited".

Also explain how Scotland's coefficient going up does the same.

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Explain how wanting Aberdeen to win everything "ensures that Aberdeen's chances are limited".

Also explain how Scotland's coefficient going up does the same.

I didn't say that. But (either of us) wanting Aberdeen to win has no bearing on Aberdeen winning. Evidence has shown us over the last thirty years that weakening of the scum is the single biggest factor in winning trophies. Evidence also shows that any domestic win procured on the back of European prize funds is completely lacking in merit, shallow and vacuous anti-sport. So long as we buy into the myth that the embiggening of one, two or four Scottish teams to the detriment of the sport then we are forever destined to lick the scraps of the two cheeks, or worse, become the third cheek of a radioactive, toxic triopoly.

I'm not criticising you here, just responding to the "world's problems" (which I realise was not entirely serious) point. I'm a complete irrational hypocrite when it comes down to it, but I like to at least acknowledge the issues.

On 20/08/2023 at 16:59, OrlandoDon said:

Mcinnes take a class on how to beat the old firm this summer? 
big cup opportunity now. Wait to you see us draw the Huns away…

The huns and tims are both vulnerable at the moment to be fair and he's got a plastic pitch. 

On 19/08/2023 at 00:06, Panda said:

This. Whilst I do give a wee nod in appreciation when Scottish teams notch up a result in European football, I do also give a wee snigger when they get beaten. I really couldn't give two fks for any other team than the Dons - coefficient or not 

• Like 2

Hearts basically where we were under McInnes. Come up against a very good side and put in a spirited challenge but ultimately lose. Bit ridiculous really, but nevermind. They looked good tonight and will be very hard to beat at tynecastle. Shankland looks like he's finally good enough for the national squad.