Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

Aston Villa win promotion to premier league after beating Derby 2-1. John McGinn now a premier league player. Probably good news for Shinnie as more likely to get game. Not sure what it means for our chances of getting Max Lowe again next season.

Maybe ok.  Had they gone up I think they'd have released Forsyth on a free (assuming he could get himself hooked up with new club) bought a Premiership level left back punting the current incumbent Malone (£3million last summer.....wouldn't want to sit stagnating on bench for anyone) out on loan and using Lowe as emergency back up (and with Shinnie as a viable back-up option too). Unless they got an irresistable purchase offer for Lowe (watch carefully what happens with Celtic/Tierney over the summer)

Now I think they'll just stick with Malone, use Forsyth as back up till his contract runs out (again with Shinnie as a viable option) and let Lowe continue getting experience elsewhere

Union Berlin hold out for 0-0 draw with Stuttgart to win promotion on away goals (2-2 in first leg) to top flight in Germany for the first time in their history.

That's a superb result for them.  Stuttgart are a funny team, they really should do better but often seem to be a yoyo club.

Chelsea brushing aside Arsenal 4-1 in Europa final. Very easy win.

Probably the easiest odds against win I've had all season.

Arsenal's gutlessness wasn't exclusive to Wenger.

Horrible what's happened to a once-great club.

Fuck sake, Charlie Nicholas chose them almost 40 year ago when he was wanted everywhere.

Guest jinkyjoe

One Englishman out of the twenty two that started the game tonight, a sad reflection of where the English league is at. Foreign players, foreign managers, they have totally lost their football identity.

One Englishman out of the twenty two that started the game tonight, a sad reflection of where the English league is at. Foreign players, foreign managers, they have totally lost their football identity.

Great post. And even the 21 year old Ainsley Maitland-Niles, the sole guffie is hardly regular news.

I was watching a stream via my iPad

1/ ha fuckin ha, get it right up you Arsenal

2/ the commentators were saying it was a great stadium, not for watching football in, as far as I could see.

3/ it was some American channel, half time analysis was done by a speeded up micky mouse to get loads of advert in.

American adverts...for fuck sake..."Let yourself summer"

Great post. And even the 21 year old Ainsley Maitland-Niles, the sole guffie is hardly regular news.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles can't be a name for a footballer, for fuck sake that's a name for a poet or something.

Fitba players should be called Stan, Bob, Jimmy etc.

I was surprised to read your original post but not surprised by the absolutist position you take, a habit of yours. Ozil didn't get picked for his country by accident, Germany being one of the best in the world. He didn't get a £330k per week (the biggest at the time) from Wenger for being shite and for all his management weaknesses, Arsene was one of the best talent-identifiers in history.

There are always reasons for a great performer underperforming. Labelling them as poop without seeking to understand those reasons, or failing to even see the undoubted quality within him is hugely ignorant.

Why do you think Ozil was fucking pish again last night then Rocket? I'm of the opinion that it's because he's vastly overrated as a player and a complete fucking fanny as a person. Players supposedly on his level take responsibility. He's not interested. 

Saturday afternoon TV.....England v NZ (wifies)

Ah well at least you can always guarantee some comedy gold.....usually from the goalkeepers

Not quite the resounding victory for Engerlund that this was meant to be :D

No doubt though they will take it out on Scotland

What a brutal match.

Mon the ferns, great result  :thumbsup:

You OK, Manc?  :-*

I'd be raging if I was a Spurs fan. They had a once in a lifetime opportunity and they fucked it. They learned fuck all from their tie with Ajax and did what Aberdeen do.. Wait until we're 2-0 down before playing. Liverpool were shite and they still thoroughly deserved to win. Spurs asked no questions of them and they never had to come out of second gear. All in all pretty disgraceful from Spurs IMO. Seemed happy just to be there and were beaten before the match started. Not the attitude that dragged them through vs Ajax!

A lot of folk having a right whinge about the quality of the final. People without agendas knows that a final is always more likely to be a cagey affair and have apparently forgotten the amazing entertainment in most of the ties played in the tournament this year.

Haha, tyrant. I've no agenda. Sure I had a preference as to who would win, but it didn't affect my life. I woke up early to watch a horrific advert for the game, that's my issue. Even the Liverpool fans I was with said it was one of the worst matches they'd seen in a long time. I wanted ajax in the final, they deserved it and I've no doubt it would have been a better final. That said, Liverpool were shit. Just slightly less shit than spurs.

As you said, spurs did a Aberdeen.

Just to be clear the "agenda" comment was aimed at folk who work tirelessly to try and convince themselves that English teams are overrated and that the CL is shite to suit their anti-English agenda. Only the first line was aimed specifically at you.

I'm not trying to claim that it wasn't a shite game. Of course it was. But the knockout stages alone this year had some of the most entertaining matches and amazing stories I've ever seen. Would love to see Ajax competing at the business end of the tournament again next season although as with Spurs I can't see them being there regularly.

Just to be clear the "agenda" comment was aimed at folk who work tirelessly to try and convince themselves that English teams are overrated and that the CL is shite to suit their anti-English agenda. Only the first line was aimed specifically at you.

I'm not trying to claim that it wasn't a shite game. Of course it was. But the knockout stages alone this year had some of the most entertaining matches and amazing stories I've ever seen. Would love to see Ajax competing at the business end of the tournament again next season although as with Spurs I can't see them being there regularly.

Has anyone ever argued that the standard of football in the CL is shite? They're just individual games of fitba featuring the world's most expensive players, so games are equally as likely to be shite or good as any other level of fitba. I think most people have an issue with the tournament itself, the way it's setup etc. which fits nicely with the anti-English agenda, because it is largely similar. They don't like what it is rather than what it produces. I don't dislike a champions league game, I just dislike (or am not interested in) the tournament itself. Isn't that a pretty reasonable stance to take?

Has anyone ever argued that the standard of football in the CL is shite? They're just individual games of fitba featuring the world's most expensive players, so games are equally as likely to be shite or good as any other level of fitba. I think most people have an issue with the tournament itself, the way it's setup etc. which fits nicely with the anti-English agenda, because it is largely similar. They don't like what it is rather than what it produces. I don't dislike a champions league game, I just dislike (or am not interested in) the tournament itself. Isn't that a pretty reasonable stance to take?

Well it's up to yourself if you like or not and why that is. Are you referring to the name being factually incorrect? For me it's a new name away from being spot on. I've never liked the name "Champion's" League because, as we all know, you don't have to be your domestic league's champion to qualify. Fair warning - you're about to read a flash of brilliance.. I'd probably call it something along the lines of "The European Cup".  :o

What I don't like about it though, is how the early rounds are more and more geared for screwing the smaller teams out of a piece of the pie. And this shite about certain teams from the "top 5 European leagues" qualifying automatically regardless of their league finishing position can get right to fuck.

As an entertaining football tournament with good players and matches (which is the the purpose of sport after all) it has been excellent recently.