Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

Well it's up to yourself if you like or not and why that is. Are you referring to the name being factually incorrect? For me it's a new name away from being spot on. I've never liked the name "Champion's" League because, as we all know, you don't have to be your domestic league's champion to qualify. Fair warning - you're about to read a flash of brilliance.. I'd probably call it something along the lines of "The European Cup".  :o

I couldn't give a fuck about the name. In terms of the tournament setup, I've always preferred the knock out style unless it's a league format where everyone is invited (which it couldn't be at european level obviously) such as the League Cup here and is designed to help smaller teams by giving them bigger games. I think it's okay I suppose but - like the Europa league - the tournament design results in exponential rewards for reaching a particular level (the group stage) of that tournament rather than an incremental bonus per round like the Scottish Cup for instance.

What I don't like about it though, is how the early rounds are more and more geared for screwing the smaller teams out of a piece of the pie. And this shite about certain teams from the "top 5 European leagues" qualifying automatically regardless of their league finishing position can get right to fuck.

Yep, exactly as I suggested, not suggesting the CL is shite in terms of quality (obviously), but examples like yours above are what is critical. It basically underpins the entire thing. I'm pretty certain you don't need explaining as to how detrimental the CL is to football in this country for instance. I just choose not to separate the fitba from the political element of it so it doesn't interest me (not to the extent I would ignore it if it was on in the pub or whatever, but I wouldn't actively seek it out to watch).

As an entertaining football tournament with good players and matches (which is the the purpose of sport after all) it has been excellent recently.

I don't believe that is the purpose of sport. From a "purity of football" perspective then obviously accumulating the best players in the world and playing them will result in the best football by-in-large. I think that there is far more to sport than that. Indeed, what makes the CL special from a footballing perspective is exactly what makes it so damaging for the sport in general. In much the same way as land and property accumulation does in every day society.

England beaten easily by Holland tonight thanks to some defensive howlers. If Dutch can find a natural finisher they could be frighteningly good. Only reason it got to extra time was down to poor finishing by Dutch.

Kane was futile when he came on at HT. Just as bad and ineffective as he was on Saturday.

England are so desperate to convince themselves that Kane is the messiah. There are many reasons why he will never be regarded in the same class as Lineker and Shearer. A very good footballer for sure, he's too stupid to be a great. His intellectual retardation is quite painful to watch actually both on and particularly off the pitch.

England beaten easily by Holland tonight thanks to some defensive howlers. If Dutch can find a natural finisher they could be frighteningly good. Only reason it got to extra time was down to poor finishing by Dutch.

They seem to be consoling themselves by convincing themselves that the two defensive mistakes were isolated incidents and if it weren't for them they would have won. Obviously forgetting the the only reason they were ever ahead in the match was because of a very similar defensive mistake from the Dutch. England second best throughout and Holland not playing particularly well. Never had to. Was delighted to see them get beat even moreso after seeing their fans' behaviour in Portugal. That disallowed goal that VAR chopped off late on was fucking sweet as a nut.  :wave:

I think Portugal will win on Sunday. They're at home and Holland don't have a good record against them. But papping England oot was the priority.  :thumbsup: England might win the 3rd place play off though.  :laughing:

Kane was futile when he came on at HT. Just as bad and ineffective as he was on Saturday.

England are so desperate to convince themselves that Kane is the messiah. There are many reasons why he will never be regarded in the same class as Lineker and Shearer. A very good footballer for sure, he's too stupid to be a great. His intellectual retardation is quite painful to watch actually both on and particularly off the pitch.

I don't disagree with anything you've said but tbf I don't think he was even close to being fit.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

England truly are the kings of the knee jerk reaction.  Their media were lambasting their players just three years ago after being beaten by Iceland and admitting that their team had sunk to an all time low, they simply did not have the required quality of players.  Fast forward a couple of years and after a couple of decent results they suddenly think they are up there with the best in the world.  Then after last night they couldn't help sticking the knife in saying they did not have the required quality when it comes to the big games, it's comical.

The goalkeeping debate also makes me laugh.  Pickford is one of the top three in the world one minute and a mainstay for the next ten years then they want someone else instead, the same happened with Hart and those before him.  It's like their media and fans just can't wait for someone to have a wobble so they can criticise them.

Reality is that their top club sides are brilliant but are massively lacking in English players and most of the English players in those sides are not even the best players in those club teams.  They have a couple of really good players in Kane and Sterling, beyond that they are destinctly average compared to the top sides in the world.  I can remember when they had to pick from Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright, Sheringham and Fowler up front.  Now after Kane they are petty much struggling to find another top striker.

Reality is that their top club sides are brilliant but are massively lacking in English players and most of the English players in those sides are not even the best players in those club teams.  They have a couple of really good players in Kane and Sterling, beyond that they are destinctly average compared to the top sides in the world.  I can remember when they had to pick from Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright, Sheringham and Fowler up front.  Now after Kane they are petty much struggling to find another top striker.

Yeh I thought, they were getting better in that regard but when you look at the Europa league line-up its pretty damning. Out of two English clubs they managed to start one English player! 

Although we can't really criticise anyone....how many of our starting 11 will be Scots come August?

If that particular debate is to kick off again in both Europa league final squads there were a total of 11 UK players (10 english players and 1 welshman) out of a possible 45 (22%) of which 3 actually made it onto the park.

In the current Dons first team squad we have 18 UK players (11 Scots, 4 Englishmen, 2 welshmen, 1 Northern Irishman) and 3 non-uk (2 Irishmen and 1 Czech).

If for some bizarre reason Arsenal & chelsea decided to comment on the nationality make up of our squad I think we are pretty safe

• 1 month later...

Yup, the Steve Clarke era is officially over. Killie resuming normal service?

My younger son is friendly with one of the Killie players and tells me that the Italian has almost gone out of his way not to endear himself to them.

Think this is shaping up like an experiment doomed to fail for them and thought that prior to last night which certainly won't have done him any favours with the support.

St Johnstone seemingly on their way out of the League cup after 2 games. Lost to County and Montrose so far and need to win their last 2 games and hope results go their way in other groups to try and get one of the 4 runners up spots.

County effectively through to the last 16.

FT Caravan dwellers 0 East Fife 2  :rofl2:

Albion Rovers 0 St Midden 0...……..penalty shoot-out

Edit....St Mirren win the shoot-out but are out as Dunfermline play East Kilbride at the weekend and no matter who wins (even on a penalty shoot out), that team will finish above St Mirren  :rofl:

@LA Don, do you follow any of the MLS? A mate of mine is an LAFC fan and got his family season tickets.  Seems like the standard has improved massively.

Been following MLS since the start, has improved every year. Better level than the SPL and has been for a while in my opinion. I’ll watch us on Red TV and quite often it’s dire stuff compared to what I see in MLS. Don’t get me wrong, you get shit games too but overall it’s a lot better than many brits believe.

Been following MLS since the start, has improved every year. Better level than the SPL and has been for a while in my opinion. I’ll watch us on Red TV and quite often it’s dire stuff compared to what I see in MLS. Don’t get me wrong, you get shit games too but overall it’s a lot better than many brits believe.

Cracking game between LAFC and Atlanta United last night. Finished 4-3. Great watch.

As for MLS as a whole I would not say the standard is much different from SPFL. There are some players who are better than the players in SPFL but also a number who would not get a game in SPFL. Standard is improving though and I have no doubt it will be one of the best leagues in the world in the near future.

I think the shit players in the MLS are similar to the shit players with St. Mirren, Accies, and the likes. The top MLS players would walk into any SPL team. Gallagher is with us because he can’t get a first team game at Atlanta.

Would love to see us do a preseason in the states. Plenty of teams to play, great facilities, and the weather to prepare us for European travels.

So apparenty the Arabs are OOT of the league cup (despite what the BBC table shows!)

St Johnstone OOT

St Mirren OOT

Last 16 looking like this at the moment (still 2 games to play although only 1 is actually relevant)

Seeded

Dons

Tic

Sevco

Connah's Quay's Bitches

Ross County

Motherwell

Livingston

Hibs

unseeded

Hearts

Hamilton