Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Javan Vidal

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Vidal did fine considering the game he made his debut in. It was bad viewing but he looked composed and seemed more than capable of making good passes (always a bonus in our team ;) ). I couldn't understand though why he didn't come on for Foster. Seemed like the obvious change, but i'm not the manager.

He could have come on for quite a few folk but just how Foster and Mackie stayed on that park given just how bad they were playing was a surprise.

Aluko was pretty poor by the high standards he's set himself recently, really off the pace.

I wonder about Foster's clearances. I think they are actually passes, it's just they are terrible. Mulgrew was vying with Foster for the title of worst passer out of defence, which is possibly more worrying as Mulgrew should be able to pick a pass with his apparently higher footballing ability.

All that said, the huns came to stifle us and they did. The game was drawn down to the level they wanted.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1047430

JAVAN Vidal came to Aberdeen to test himself at the highest level.

On Saturday, the rookie right-back got his wish.

The loan signing from Manchester City dreams of returning home to Eastlands at the end of the season and carving out a top-flight career.

Against Rangers, the 19-year-old showed he can go head-to-head with players who have starred in the English Premier League.

Pitched into the unfamiliar position of central midfield, Vidal was charged with stifling the creative threat of Barry Ferguson and Pedro Mendes.

The England youth international rose to the challenge with a cool and confident display that helped his new side to a goalless draw.

But he never expected anything less.

Vidal said: “I couldn’t have asked for a bigger game to make my debut in. The centre of midfield is not my main position, but I’m a versatile player.

“I’m confident in my own ability and I have played there before.

“I just wanted to do a good job for the team.

“For City, I am predominantly a right-back, although a few times I have played on the wing.

“Only once or twice in competitive games have I played central midfield.

“I thought I did well when I came on.

“It was a 100 miles an hour, back and forward, so it was a lot different to the reserve games at Man City.

“I thought I got up to speed with the game and settled in alright, though.â€

Vidal was up against Rangers skipper Ferguson, who spent two years in the heart of Blackburn Rovers’ midfield before returning to Ibrox.

Ferguson was flanked at Pittodrie by former Portsmouth playmaker Pedro Mendes, who has sparkled since his £3million summer switch to Glasgow.

Mendes previously won the Champions League with Porto and has been capped by Portugal. But despite being used to reserve team football with City, Vidal relished the challenge of facing up to Mendes and Ferguson. He said: “I handled myself pretty well against highly experienced midfielders who have played in the English Premier League.

“In the reserves, you might play against one or two first team players who are trying to get back from injury.

“But playing against the likes of Rangers is definitely why I came to Aberdeen.â€

Furthering his image as a cool customer, Vidal insists he had no nerves about coming on in such a heated battle.

He was told about the intense rivalry between the Dons and Rangers.

But Vidal showed little care for the tales of past battles.

He said: “I heard about the history and the rivalry between the two clubs.

“A few of the lads let me know what it was about.

“But I wasn’t fazed by it.â€

Just what Jimmy likes to hear  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, how did he play on Saturday? The commentator mentioned that he'd forgotten he was playing towards the end of the second half.

At times he looked ok, let the game pass him by a bit imo

Thought Vidal showed a footie brain (nae use for us then lol!!), and as previously said passed ball well and good hold up play. Well impressed.

Above was what I said about him after the hun game. I wasn't as impressed on Saturday, passing nowhere near as accurate.

Then again I did say he showed a footie brain, and Derek Dung was one of those he was trying to pass to on Saturday!