Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Hunday Mail: Nicholson article

Before anyone starts, I didn't buy it or do I read the paper ;) I saw it on another site so thought I should post it here  :thumbsup:

Barry Nicholson: Old boss Jimmy Calderwood should move south to prove himself

Nov 30 2008 By Mark Guidi

FORMER Pittodrie star Barry Nicholson insists Dons gaffer Jimmy Calderwood must move to England to finally prove himself.

Preston midfielder Nicholson, who quit Aberdeen on a Bosman in the summer, is adamant Calderwood's talents are going stale in the north east and the only way they'll be rejuvenated is by joining him down south.

The under-fire Dons boss has looked on helplessly as an exodus of his big-name players have left for megabucks deals in the Championship.

Nicholson joined ex-Pittodrie pal Michael Hart at Deepdale, Chris Clark signed for Plymouth in August and inspirational skipper Russell Anderson switched to the promotion chase at Sunderland last season.

Having taken Dons to a UEFA Cup last-32 place last term Caldo has arguably punched above his weight at Pittodrie.

The beleaguered manager has been unable to strengthen in the transfer market and realises the chances of silverware are remote.

But Nicholson, 30, believes Jimmy will be a massive success if he works with a board prepared to back him up.

And if Calderwood is targeted Nicholson reckons Dons - who announced a trading profit for last year - will only have themselves to blame.

He said: "I loved working under Jimmy. I had four years with him at Dunfermline and three at Aberdeen.

"I needed a change and had always wanted to try England so was pleased to sign for Preston.

"Jimmy may well feel the same. It has been hard for him as he has not had much money to spend and replace the players he lost.

"Hart, Clark and Anderson were all massive parts of the team.

"We never really replaced them and I just felt we weren't going to get any better. It didn't look like we were going to strengthen.

"If we had got more backing we could have pushed on.

"If you can keep your good players for a few years it gives you a better chance.

"It must be difficult for Jimmy when he's not even getting a little money to spend. I'm sure he'll want to test himself at a higher level and try England.

"I know he has had a bit of stick this season but there is no need to panic. He would do well at another club if he moved on."

Nicholson made his mind up a year ago he was going to quit Pittodrie under freedom of contract. However, had Dons won the Scottish Cup he may well have stayed.

The 4-3 semi-final loss to Queen of the South was a devastating blow and Nicholson felta cup hangover was part of the reason for Aberdeen's poor start to this season.

He said: "There's no way we should have lost to Queens. We would have played Rangers in the final and I believe we'd have beaten them.

"Had we won the cup it may have swung it for me to stay. I often talk to the Aberdeen boys about losing that game and it still hurts."

Nicholson now has his sights set on promotion with Preston.

Alan Irvine's side are in a decent position in the Championship and Nic would love to play in the Premiership.

He said: "Alan is meticulous. His planning into every aspect of the game is unbelievable.

"He uses ProZone and lots of video stuff. He brings boys in individually and that has been a help as I didn't know much about the players I'd be facing down here.

"Alan is great to work under and I'm enjoying the change of scenery.

"Promotion to the Premiership would be special but this is a tough league. You play on a Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday and there is little time to rest.

"The standard is slightly better than the SPL out with the Old Firm. The teams are also bigger and stronger - I've worked in the gym every day since I arrived.

"We'll see where we are at the end of January. You always have a better idea of how things will shape up then."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/aberdeen-fc/2008/11/30/barry-nicholson-old-boss-jimmy-calderwood-should-move-south-to-prove-himself-78057-20935468/

Guest swaddon

I could understand it if Jimmy had us in the top 3 of the league, playing exciting football and winning cups every season. But he's not, so no-one else will want him just now.

That's not to say it won't happen, though. You never know.

I could understand it if Jimmy had us in the top 3 of the league, playing exciting football and winning cups every season. But he's not, so no-one else will want him just now.

That's not to say it won't happen, though. You never know.

As was mentioned on another thread, he won't be going anywhere until he wins something. No-one wants a manager that hasn't actually done anything (trophy-wise).

"Hart, Clark and Anderson were all massive parts of the team. We never really replaced them and I just felt we weren't going to get any better. If you can keep your good players for a few years it gives you a better chance."

See that fucks me off. Anderson was a Don for 11 years. Hart for 9 years. Clark 10-and-a-half. How long is "a few years" before these players decide it's time for a look at what the other side of the fence looks like? I have no qualms about either player moving and, indeed, am not bothered about Nicholson moving either. It's the nature of the game. I would've loved to see all four (well, nae really fussed about Clark) staying at Aberdeen, but players have ambitions. Most want to play in England in as big a league as possible. 

See that fucks me off. Anderson was a Don for 11 years. Hart for 9 years. Clark 10-and-a-half. How long is "a few years" before these players decide it's time for a look at what the other side of the fence looks like? I have no qualms about either player moving and, indeed, am not bothered about Nicholson moving either. It's the nature of the game. I would've loved to see all four (well, nae really fussed about Clark) staying at Aberdeen, but players have ambitions. Most want to play in England in as big a league as possible. 

I'll agree.

But I'm also not naive enough to believe that they wouldn't have stayed if we'd offered them the same wages as they are currently on.

Although that article takes plenty swipes to sully the name of AFC, it also highlights something that I firmly believe to be the current problem at Pittodrie;  The board had a chance to build on some real solid foundations after the European trips and took a step backwards instead.

I'll agree.

But I'm also not naive enough to believe that they wouldn't have stayed if we'd offered them the same wages as they are currently on.

Although that article takes plenty swipes to sully the name of AFC, it also highlights something that I firmly believe to be the current problem at Pittodrie;  The board had a chance to build on some real solid foundations after the European trips and took a step backwards instead.

Spot on!

One thing that annoyed me about the article was the comment at the end about the quality of the Championship compared with the SPL. He is quoted as saying that

The standard is slightly better than the SPL out with the Old Firm. The teams are also bigger and stronger - I've worked in the gym every day since I arrived.

Did he never think that by spenidng more time in the gym before now might have improved his game? Was Paul Lambert right when he said that teams/players in the SPL don't traing hard enough and long enough?

If this is true whay are the Aberdeen plaerys not in the gym everyday?

One thing that annoyed me about the article was the comment at the end about the quality of the Championship compared with the SPL. He is quoted as saying that

Did he never think that by spenidng more time in the gym before now might have improved his game? Was Paul Lambert right when he said that teams/players in the SPL don't traing hard enough and long enough?

Its something that struck me a while ago, there does seem to be a lack of professionalism in the SPL compared to in England.

Because it would do more harm than good :thumbsup:

Josh Walker and Sone Aluko were in the JJB gym pretty much every day when they were here last season.

As I said, they came from professional clubs who know how to conduct themselves in a professional manner to try and get the best out of their careers.

Surely the club can only do so much, and it's down to the players themselves to decide whether or not to push themselves that bit further and either develop their talent or prolong their career?

I don't for one second think that the likes of Willie Miller, Jim Leighton and Jimmy Calderwood would not try and push players to be the best they can be.

I'd hazard to guess that we could list every Aberdeen player and the weaknesses they've had since they were a youngster, and very few will have actually improved that aspect of their game.  For example, Darren Mackie's first touch and finishing have been poor since he was 13-14, but what has he done to remedy it?  From his performances, it would appear very little.  :hammer:

Contrast that to Aluko, whose obvious weakness last year was his strength, and it's apparent he's worked on that aspect of his game.