Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

This is YOUR fault, Sone!

This is YOUR fault, Sone!

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 17/11/2008

DESPAIR: Steven Fletcher slots home the injury-time equaliser for Hibs at Easter Road.

More Pictures

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today explained why he lost the plot with Sone Aluko at Easter Road.

Calderwood confronted the young winger on the touchline at the end of their 2-2 SPL draw with Hibs.

TV coverage shows the two men in an angry exchange of words before Aluko is ushered up the tunnel by his team-mates.

Calderwood admitted he lost the rag because he believes Aluko could have prevented Hibs striker Steven Fletcher snatching an injury-time equaliser.

Aluko failed to get back to prevent John Rankin firing in a shot that led to Fletcher netting.

Calderwood said: “Sone is a wonderful talent but should be able to do basic defending as well.

“I was raging with him and make no apologies.

“He should know what was required. Sone shouldn’t need me or anyone in the team to tell him. He was on the wrong side of the Hibs player and his shot led to the equaliser.

“If Sone had been there to hoist the ball clear, that would have been another five seconds off the clock and the game would have been won.

“I don’t like being too hard on him because he also did some brilliant things in the game.

“But I hope he learns from what went on.â€

Calderwood countered his criticism of the 19-year-old England youth international by also praising Aluko for refusing to take a dive to win a penalty after he was tripped by Hibs substitute Alan O’Brien, when the Dons were 2-1 up.

Calderwood said: “It was a definite penalty and it’s annoying it wasn’t given.

“Stevie O’Reilly is a good referee and has a bright future, so that makes it all the more annoying.

“He would probably have given it if Sone had taken a dive, but I would never ask a player to do that.

Calderwood’s is frustrated that the late slip meant the Dons missed a golden chance to put more pressure on Hearts and Dundee United in the race to finish third in the SPL.

“I hope we are not looking back at the end of the season regretting dropping those two points,†he said.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on the wrong side of the Hibs player and his shot led to the equaliser.

Ok the highlights are not clear where they come running in from, but the shot comes from the right hand side of the goals and Aluko is to the left and right on him. Is that not the correct side to be at pushing him away from goal?

He would have been asked why he and Aluko had an angry exchange after the game, he didn't just come right out and say Aluko is to blame.

I reckon that's what happened.

Calderwood simply lost the plot when we drew a game we should have won in the last minute, with the last kick and Aluko took the brunt of it. It happens for fuck sake.

I reckon that's what happened.

Calderwood simply lost the plot when we drew a game we should have won in the last minute, with the last kick and Aluko took the brunt of it. It happens for fuck sake.

Exactly. the folk moaning should put themselves in his position. If it had been Mackie all hell would've broken loose, i'm 100% sure of that.

+1

What about all the defenders in the box that failed to get rid of it?

Aye.. there were a few fresh-air swipes :hammer:

The problem as far as I can see is is that we seem very nervous (maybe not the right word) when it comes to clearing the ball at the back.

Net result is that one of our defenders ends up taking two touches & then comes under pressure, when they should have put the ball into row Z around the half way line 20sec ago. Guess this must be a confidence problem?

He would have been asked why he and Aluko had an angry exchange after the game, he didn't just come right out and say Aluko is to blame.

So why not say "Thats is an internal club matter and I have no comment to make"

Instead he repeats something that angered Aluko on Saturday and is going to alienate him further today.