Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Tommy: I’m Well ready for Fir Park

Tommy: I’m Well ready for Fir Park

Hitman Wright ready for Dons debut

By Andrew Moir

Published: 13/08/2008

READY: Tommy Wright in action against Caley yesterday.

More Pictures

TOMMY Wright today claimed he’s ready to take on Motherwell at Fir Park on Saturday.

The new Don even picked up a booking in his first Reds outing as the reserves lost 2-1 to Inverness Caley Thistle at Glebe Park.

But he’s still hoping to have done enough to impress boss Jimmy Calderwood who travelled to Brechin to watch his new charge.

“I’m delighted to have played 80 minutes because the original plan was just to play the first half,†said Wright.

“Now I’m hoping to take things forward and would love to get a chance against Motherwell.

“As far as I’m concerned I’m fit and available for the first team.

“I did tire towards the end but I just have to work hard to get back to full fitness as that was my first appearance in three months.â€

Englishman Wright, 23, is clearly a combative striker who loves the physical side to the game.

And he was even handed his first caution in Scotland for a late challenge on Caley’s Lionel Djebi-Zadi.

But he’s not worried about his first run-in with the officials and won’t hold back if he gets a crack at Motherwell.

He added: “I’m not concerned about picking up a booking in my first appearance for Aberdeen:thumbsup:

“Sometimes you can react when things aren’t going for you and that’s what I did.

“But I’ll just get on with it and continue to play my own game.â€

Wright would love to have marked his first Aberdeen appearance with a goal.

But for now he’s concentrating all his efforts on getting back to full fitness ahead of the SPL clash at Fir Park on Saturday.

“It would have been nice to have scored for the reserves or to have had two or three chances,†said Wright.

“I’m not too worried about that as that can happen in matches.

“But I just need more games to get back to peak fitness before working on other things.

“I’m not sure how many minutes I’ll get for the first team if any this weekend.

“So if I have to play more reserve matches to improve my fitness then that’s what I’ll do.

“I’m lacking match fitness and sharpness more than anything right now.

“You think you are fit but it’s only when it comes to playing games you realise you’re not quite there.

“That can only come with games, but I’d still love to be involved against Motherwell.â€

Certainly sounds like he likes to get stuck in, hopefully that rubs off onto the rest of the team!

Tommy: I’m Well ready for Fir Park

Hitman Wright ready for Dons debut

By Andrew Moir

Published: 13/08/2008

READY: Tommy Wright in action against Caley yesterday.

More Pictures

TOMMY Wright today claimed he’s ready to take on Motherwell at Fir Park on Saturday.

The new Don even picked up a booking in his first Reds outing as the reserves lost 2-1 to Inverness Caley Thistle at Glebe Park.

But he’s still hoping to have done enough to impress boss Jimmy Calderwood who travelled to Brechin to watch his new charge.

“I’m delighted to have played 80 minutes because the original plan was just to play the first half,†said Wright.

“Now I’m hoping to take things forward and would love to get a chance against Motherwell.

“As far as I’m concerned I’m fit and available for the first team.

“I did tire towards the end but I just have to work hard to get back to full fitness as that was my first appearance in three months.â€

Englishman Wright, 23, is clearly a combative striker who loves the physical side to the game.

And he was even handed his first caution in Scotland for a late challenge on Caley’s Lionel Djebi-Zadi.

But he’s not worried about his first run-in with the officials and won’t hold back if he gets a crack at Motherwell.

He added: “I’m not concerned about picking up a booking in my first appearance for Aberdeen:thumbsup:

“Sometimes you can react when things aren’t going for you and that’s what I did.

“But I’ll just get on with it and continue to play my own game.â€

Wright would love to have marked his first Aberdeen appearance with a goal.

But for now he’s concentrating all his efforts on getting back to full fitness ahead of the SPL clash at Fir Park on Saturday.

“It would have been nice to have scored for the reserves or to have had two or three chances,†said Wright.

“I’m not too worried about that as that can happen in matches.

“But I just need more games to get back to peak fitness before working on other things.

“I’m not sure how many minutes I’ll get for the first team if any this weekend.

“So if I have to play more reserve matches to improve my fitness then that’s what I’ll do.

“I’m lacking match fitness and sharpness more than anything right now.

“You think you are fit but it’s only when it comes to playing games you realise you’re not quite there.

“That can only come with games, but I’d still love to be involved against Motherwell.â€

Certainly sounds like he likes to get stuck in, hopefully that rubs off onto the rest of the team!

Oh he even managed that did he? Well done son! Maybe he should take the rest of the season off since he managed that wonderful feat.

I reckon this guy is going to be another Rico situation whereby he gets hounded by the ref. Concentrate less on getting booked, and letting everyone know how you aren't bothered about it, and score some goals.

I do but thats irrelevant. Its going to be my first game of the season and cheer us on. Hopefully Wright will come good.

I agree, hopefully he will.  Hopefully they all will.

I might put money on him being red-carded against the huns next week.

Guest pittodrie_prince

Why do I get the impression that Wright is just going to be a mealer who elbows and kicks people?

Getting booked is not an admirable achievement.

Getting on the score sheet is.

The jury is out already, but Calderwood has proved wherever he's been that he fails to judge a good striker*.

*player.

I agree, hopefully he will.  Hopefully they all will.

I might put money on him being red-carded against the huns next week.

Well at least he'd have half the supports backing after that ;) Wouldn't surprise me though I must say! I pray to fuck they don't make it a wasted journey on Saturday.  :-\

Well at least he'd have half the supports backing after that ;) Wouldn't surprise me though I must say! I pray to fuck they don't make it a wasted journey on Saturday.  :-\

Bad feeling about Saturday but hoping to be surprised.

I was one of the optimistic ones throughout last season, but having been ringside for Saturdays defeat I'm dreading this weekend and the weeks to follow.  A good performance and positive result would put the spring back in my step, but I cant see who that result will be against.

Wright will get my full backing, but this has 'Nigel Pepper' written all over it.

I'd say the odds are firmly against us. Motherwell played well last week, and well, by all accounts we didn't play, but as we've said, here's to optimism eh!  :thumbsup:

We are capable but just seem to show it a few times a season and our away form is honking as we sit in and try and hit on the break.  This will play right into Motherwell's hands.  Go and attack them and we have every chance.  Sadly i think we wont attack and fear the worst.

the game will be won and lost by our back line.  Minkerwell will go their usual 3 up front and if we can cope with it i would fancy us to at least get a draw.  Their defence looked anything but clever on sat so if calderwood moves smith to the middle of the park instead of on the wing i would fancy him to give them a torrid time.  Diamond has got to play on sat end of! 

the game will be won and lost by our back line.  Minkerwell will go their usual 3 up front and if we can cope with it i would fancy us to at least get a draw.  Their defence looked anything but clever on sat so if calderwood moves smith to the middle of the park instead of on the wing i would fancy him to give them a torrid time.  Diamond has got to play on sat end of! 

Will play all 3 of Diamond, Severin and Considine at back.  Usually goes with 3 at the back (really 5) and 1 up front.

If we play with four at the back, they will tear us apart down our right side, but 3-5-2 should work (he hopes!)

Hope so but never last season.  They took us apart until we went for it in 2nd game when we went a goal down with 25 to go and we looked a totally different side.