Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The value of a 'big' signing!!

I remember when we signed Charlie Nicholas - what a boost it gave the club, the fans, the players, the dressing room etc and had a definite impact on attendances. I think I am right in saying Hans Gilhaus had an impact on attendances too.

What would it cost to get a player of that ability and reputation today? Nicholas was 400k nearly 20 years ago! Gow and Riordan are not in the same class as these guys yet I feel we won't even stretch to try to get them. I think fans are dying for a boost - anyone think of a player less than a million who would actually inspire the fans to be excited about next year?

Agree, 400k now is like a 4 million pound player these days, but pulling off the Charlie Nicholas signing was still a surprise - to me it showed the ambition of the board.

What kind of signing would inspire these days that is still realistic? I personally do think Riordan and Gow are realistic with a 'creative' contract to keep our wage structure but no ambition from the board rules them out.

We've heard WM say big name signings could happen but what does that mean?

Agree, 400k now is like a 4 million pound player these days, but pulling off the Charlie Nicholas signing was still a surprise - to me it showed the ambition of the board.

What kind of signing would inspire these days that is still realistic? I personally do think Riordan and Gow are realistic with a 'creative' contract to keep our wage structure but no ambition from the board rules them out.

We've heard WM say big name signings could happen but what does that mean?

There going to sign someone with a long name so they can make money off the shirt printing.

Guest swaddon

There going to sign someone with a long name so they can make money off the shirt printing.

Former PSG midfielder Eric Rabesandratana and ex-Ger Alexei Mikhailatchenko have been spotted leaving Pittodrie this week...  :o

Simple answer to this is:

Back then, we were running on a POSITIVE bank balance, we were the SECOND biggest club in Scotland (cos Celtic were in absolute turmoil until around 1994/95, but most Celtic fans don't know this cos most Celtic fans didn't become Celtic fans until Fergus McCann took the helm), and we were one of the biggest draws for any player cos we were in the hunt for titles, were regularly in Europe, and cup finals were a bit of a common thing.

Now, all we can hope for in the way of big signings is the hope that someone who ONCE was a big name decides to come to Aberdeen to see himself through to retirement. Someone of the caliber of Barthez, for example, would probably say yes to a year with the Dons in his twilight years. But back in the day we were capable of getting players in who had a reputation and who were also NOT past their best.

Leighton

Still one of the happiest days in recent times when Leighton came back to Aberdeen. I mind the day we signed him, my Killie-supporting flatmate said "might as well hand you guys the title right now then!".

Leighton was the best keeper in the league by a mile, even at that stage. Unfortunately for him, he had Whyte, Inglis, Gary Smith (the second version) and Tzvetanov infront of him, hence why we most definitely did NOT win the league that year.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Cannigia went to Dundee for the football. Dundee's probably one of the easiest ports in the country to smuggle drugs into. Why else would he suggested that Maradonna would be happy at home in that cold, smelly, depressing shithole?

I remember when we signed Charlie Nicholas - what a boost it gave the club, the fans, the players, the dressing room etc and had a definite impact on attendances.

What would it cost to get a player of that ability and reputation today? Nicholas was 400k nearly 20 years ago!

Aye, and he wiz pish as far as I can mind?!

We can live without names for the sake of names...

Are you fishing?

Nah man. I just seem to remember hating the wee fucker. Spent more time on his arse than actually effecting the game, as I recall. Champagne Charlie personified.

I was just sayin' that big names don't always mean you get a good player.

I'd much rather some (hopefully above) average, trophy hungry SPL player than some dude wi a reputation and nothing left to prove.

Charlie Nicholas was a lazy bastard from what I remember.

Might well have been a lazy bastard but he was a brilliant player for us. Nicholas had a lazy style about him, always wanted the ball to feet instead of ahead of him... perhaps because he could actually play football (and of course, couldn't run).  Nicholas is easily one of my favourite Dons players of all time.

Might well have been a lazy bastard but he was a brilliant player for us. Nicholas had a lazy style about him, always wanted the ball to feet instead of ahead of him... perhaps because he could actually play football (and of course, couldn't run).  Nicholas is easily one of my favourite Dons players of all time.

Agreed.

Jim Bett was labelled a lazy bastard as well but by fuck could he pick a pass.