Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Lee Miller - FINALLY made his effin mind up

Am I the only one who will be would have been glad to see the back of Lee Miller?

He is a decent SPL forward, no doubt - but he is also a preening, diving prima-donna who thinks he's better than he is.

If I was Jimmy I'd have told him to GTF by now.

Why are we letting this ponce hang around waiting to see if he gets a better offer? Do we really want him when he has never shown any sign of anything even approaching loyalty to any club he has ever played for? Jimmy - tell him he is away and to enjoy League 1 football (either next season, or the one after; when the Championship side that signs him gets relegated).

There must be hundreds of similarly talented but much harder working players out there who would actually think that playing for the Dons is an honour, not just a pay packet?!

???

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller urged to make a decision

Dons boss wants answer

By Andrew Moir

Published: 29/04/2008

ABERDEEN will press striker Lee Miller for a decision on his future this week.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood wants the 24-year-old to spearhead his attack next season and has offered him an extended contract.

But Miller has so far failed to indicate what his intentions are, forcing Calderwood to make contingency plans for life without the forward.

However, he’s still hoping to convince the former Falkirk, Bristol City, Hearts and Dundee United player to sign on again at Pittodrie.

English Championship clubs Ipswich Town and Blackpool have both shown an interest in Miller and could come calling again if he opts to leave for free during the close season.

“I will be looking to speak to Lee within the next few days,†said Calderwood.

“He’s keeping his options open, which I can understand, but I have to keep asking him what he’s planning to do.

“I have to make plans and he has to see where we are coming from as we are trying to get certain things organised.

“He’s got to get on with his life. If he does decide to go, we would have to cope without him.

“We’re hoping he will stay, but need an answer soon.â€

Miller scored from the penalty spot against Hibs in Saturday’s 2-1 victory over the Leith men.

That strike has taken his tally to 12 this season but it’s his overall performances that have impressed Calderwood.

But he’s quickly running out of patience as he needs an answer to allow him to move forward with his rebuilding plans.

Calderwood will continue to use him in his first team plans even if Miller indicates his future lies away from Pittodrie as he has done with midfielder Barry Nicholson.

The Dons boss will also be forced to shuffle his pack when they host Dundee United at the weekend.

Zander Diamond is suspended for the next two matches which could create a chance for Karim Touzani at the heart of the defence.

Darren Mackie has also staked a claim for a place after he scored following his substitute appearance against Hibs at the weekend.

Meanwhile, defender Dave Bus has agreed a one-year deal with Dutch side Go Ahead Eagles and will join them when his deal with the Dons ends this summer.

Guest Caroline B

The fact of the matter is that the guy has a contract till the end of June and is perfectly within his rights to hold off till he wants. That's the way modern football is since Bosman got his knickers in a twist.

There are hundreds of footballers around the globe in his position and a lot of them will be excercising the same right. Barry Nicholson being another on our books.

You and hundreds of other Dons fans may not like it, but as there are only 3 matches left, there is surely nothing wrong with playing him. The alternatives are McGuire and Mackie up front. It seems like a case of we have to play him regardless of whether he stays or go's.

Preening, diving prima donna or not, he remains our top goalscorer. I wish him luck whatever he decides. I just wish he'd hadn't taken till this season to get his finger out!

You and hundreds of other Dons fans may not like it, but as there are only 3 matches left, there is surely nothing wrong with playing him. The alternatives are McGuire and Mackie up front. It seems like a case of we have to play him regardless of whether he stays or go's.

Preening, diving prima donna or not, he remains our top goalscorer. I wish him luck whatever he decides. I just wish he'd hadn't taken till this season to get his finger out!

No problem playing him, as he is the best of a bad bunch and we still have an outside chance of 3rd... I just feel that we always let this kind of thing drag on. Maybe it is just reality and I don't want to accept it... living through the Eighties is both a blessing and a curse!

As for his recent return to form - it is no suprise that it coincides with his 'shop-window' phase is it?

Just can't help feeling he has taken the piss out of us once too often.

As far as I'm aware, no one has actually come in for Miller or Nicholson?  At least Miller has the sense not to completely shut the door and tell everyone he's going (which he probably is).  At the end of the day, it's his job and most people don't leave a job until they've got another one.  Barry Nic's just maybe minted or has a few irons in the fire on the quiet.

Personally, I hope that Miller does stay (but not on any more cash than he's already getting) and that JC can find someone to play off him, a bit like Crawford and Brewster used to do a few years back.  (and No, before anyone starts, not for a second am I suggesting Crawford).

Almost without exception, when a player stalls on his contract (at Aberdeen anyway) it's because he's got his agent looking for more cash.

Lee Miller, as we've seen, goes to wherever the cash is.

Right now we play him as he's on our wage bill.

In the meantime we look for his replacement, because we'll need one.

Almost without exception, when a player stalls on his contract (at Aberdeen anyway) it's because he's got his agent looking for more cash.

Perfect logic.  :thumbsup:

There seems like there's an awful lot of people (not you in particular kelt) who think that Lee Miller is the only player who goes where the money is?  Almost every person on who posts on this forum would move jobs for an extra 10 or 20%.  I hope that Lee Miller stays at Todders but don't be thinking that he's doing anything different to Maybury or Rio Ferdinand.  He'll leave if he gets 200 quid a week more, the same as Rio would for 20 grand.  I've no problem with Miller trying to earn as much as he can.

There seems like there's an awful lot of people (not you in particular kelt) who think that Lee Miller is the only player who goes where the money is?  Almost every person on who posts on this forum would move jobs for an extra 10 or 20%.  I hope that Lee Miller stays at Todders but don't be thinking that he's doing anything different to Maybury or Rio Ferdinand.  He'll leave if he gets 200 quid a week more, the same as Rio would for 20 grand.  I've no problem with Miller trying to earn as much as he can.

Totally agree, its only natural for people to try and better themselves financially. They have a shorter career than most people so have to get as much as possible in a short period. I know I would prefer a player to stay with the club because they love the club, and I think he's an important piece of it, but I don't begrudge him seeking a better deal. The club have to accept it and find a replacement for him, which we hope they are doing so.

He went to Bristol to do that and look what happened. He went to United after that and look what happened.

Maybe money shouldn't be the first thing on his mind. Just a thought.

Maybe Nicholson should have been thinking the same thing and I suspect in a few months time there will be "family failing to settle" stories emerging as they have done with alarming frequency with Scots who have moved south to less than stellar clubs.

He went to Bristol to do that and look what happened. He went to United after that and look what happened.

Maybe money shouldn't be the first thing on his mind. Just a thought.

Maybe Nicholson should have been thinking the same thing and I suspect in a few months time there will be "family failing to settle" stories emerging as they have done with alarming frequency with Scots who have moved south to less than stellar clubs.

I totally acknowledge this, but lets face it, footballers aren't the smartest, and more often than not, don't look at the bigger picture. Nicholson moreso I would have thoughtwould have stayed, family man and a settled family man at that. But what do I know. But more importantly money talks to footballers and to most people. I'm not saying I would do it, but thats probably because I have red spectacles on.

Nothing to do wi red specs mate. Plenty of players have stayed at clubs paying less money for both family reasons and for reasons of job satisfaction having had shite experiences elsewhere.

As you say, players are daft and agents, generally speaking aren't. That may the problem right there.

I've got no problem with Nicholson wanting to try his luck down south. He's reaching the point in his career where he stops developing and starts using the experience he's gained over the years. He's about two-third the way through his playing career. With maybe only one more chance at a big-bucks contract, I have no problem in him trying his luck down south.

Miller, however, has tried his luck wherever he has gone. With the exception of a few nice games when he was on-loan at Hearts, he has done jackshit since leaving Falkirk. He's tried and failed at clubs in England AND Scotland. He should be looking at the Aberdeen contract and realising "who the hell is going to offer more for a player who has been inconsistent for the past five years since leaving Falkirk?".

If he re-signs for us, I won't grumble. But I want to see him on a one-year contract with a second option year at the Dons' decision. But if he decides to hold us for ransom, then we must say goodbye.

There's a LOT better out there than Lee Miller who, as has already been mentioned, would actually want to try his best for the club who pays his wages.

He just steadfastly refuses to play to his capabilities often enough.

Very true indeed. If Miller and Lovell were played regularly together at the level that we all know they are capable of, we wouldn't be living in hope of maybe scraping 3rd place if everybody else around us goes on a horrendous losing streak like they've not seen all season. Hell, we might actually be up there right now, looking down upon Hibs, Motherwell and Youshitehead. What's more, we might actually be in two cup finals!!

Very true indeed. If Miller and Lovell were played regularly together at the level that we all know they are capable of, we wouldn't be living in hope of maybe scraping 3rd place if everybody else around us goes on a horrendous losing streak like they've not seen all season. Hell, we might actually be up there right now, looking down upon Hibs, Motherwell and Youshitehead. What's more, we might actually be in two cup finals!!

As I've said before, throughout the JC era, none moreso than this season, will be remembered by me as a "what if" season.

Totally agree, its only natural for people to try and better themselves financially. They have a shorter career than most people so have to get as much as possible in a short period. I know I would prefer a player to stay with the club because they love the club, and I think he's an important piece of it, but I don't begrudge him seeking a better deal. The club have to accept it and find a replacement for him, which we hope they are doing so.

............Or, the club could offer what he sees as a "decent" wage to stay and try to "show some ambition"?

Jist a thought like

............Or, the club could offer what he sees as a "decent" wage to stay and try to "show some ambition"?

Jist a thought like

Our club's 'ambition' is to remain in the top flight, while at the same time spending as little money as possible.

So far they've achieved their 'ambition' every season, so there's little or no reason for them to change that.

They're certainly NOT going to start paying bigger wages to keep better players.. and by 'bigger wages' I'm talking about a couple hundred quid a week.

Our club's 'ambition' is to remain in the top flight, while at the same time spending as little money as possible.

So far they've achieved their 'ambition' every season, so there's little or no reason for them to change that.

They're certainly NOT going to start paying bigger wages to keep better players.. and by 'bigger wages' I'm talking about a couple hundred quid a week.

The precedent was set with Michael Hart, I'd imagine we lost him for the sake of a few hundred quid a week.

I can't see why they just didn't give the cash they have paid to Dave Bus to Hart.

The precedent was set with Michael Hart, I'd imagine we lost him for the sake of a few hundred quid a week.

I can't see why they just didn't give the cash they have paid to Dave Bus to Hart.

Bus probably wouldn't have been on enough for that to work.