Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Worth A Look Thread

I get the impression that Calderwood needs some help identifying good players who could actually improve the team, so lets compile a list of available quality players for no-one to pay any attention to.

No. 1 - Marcel Seip

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...yle/7335091.stm

I've been looking on Plymouth forums fairly regularly to see how Anderson is getting on and just about everyone thinks this guy is the best thing since sliced bread, and rate him higher than Anderson.

Still got another year on his contract but has fallen out with Sturrock so might be able to get him for a small fee.

Marcel Seip (born 4 May 1982 in the Netherlands) is a Dutch footballer who plays as a defender for Plymouth Argyle.

Known as a tough-tackling player - who can play at right-back, but prefers to play at centre-back - Seip made his debut for BV Veendam in 1999 and enjoyed a two-year spell with the club before being signed by established Eredivise club SC Heerenveen in 2001. He really made his break-through in the first team at the start of the 2003/04 season, appearing for the club regularly in domestic and European competition for the next three-years, scoring two goals in the process. His contract expired during the summer of 2006 and after showing interest, Seip joined Plymouth Argyle initially on a three-month contract.

Marcel made his debut for Argyle on September 16, 2006 as a first half substitute at St. Mary's Stadium against Southampton . His first goal coincided with his first start at home against Norwich City on September 23, 2006. Seip's impressive displays made him an ever present in the starting line-up - making 42 league and cup appearances, scoring two goals - and he agreed a three-year contract with the club, extending his stay with Argyle until at least the summer of 2009. On the 5th of April 2008, Marcel was told he would be included in the Plymouth squad against Charlton Athletic as a substitute but, after 4 successive starts he refused resulting in Sturrock adding him to the transfer list.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression that Calderwood needs some help identifying good players who could actually improve the team, so lets compile a list of available quality players for no-one to pay any attention to.

No. 1 - Marcel Seip

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...yle/7335091.stm

I've been looking on Plymouth forums fairly regularly to see how Anderson is getting on and just about everyone thinks this guy is the best thing since sliced bread, and rate him higher than Anderson.

Still got another year on his contract but has fallen out with Sturrock so might be able to get him for a small fee.

No chance.

Played for Dunfermline - NO

Played for and been dumped by United - NO

Mates with Calderwood Jnr in Holland - NO

Great banter in the dressing room - INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE

"Versatile"  - ONLY PLAYS 2 POSITIONS, NOT GOOD ENOUGH

No. 2 - Paul Dixon

The left back position has long been a problem for us, I think we could do a lot worse than have a look at highly rated Scotland U21 international Paul Dixon of Dundee.

Dundee rejected a bid from Norwich last summer believed to be around £100k. Killie tried to sign him in the January transfer window but failed. His contract runs out this summer and will be leaving Dens Park

Scott Robertson from Dundee is also out of contract and would be a good signing, rumoured to be going to Tannadice, but I think Dixon is the better signing and would slot straight into our team.

Paul Andrew Dixon (born 22 November 1986 in Aberdeen, Scotland) is a Scottish footballer, currently playing for Scottish First Division club Dundee.

Aberdeen born youngster who has been with Dundee since the age of 12. Paul is a left back who has a cultured left foot and is something of a long-throw expert.

Paul starred for the youth side last season and was mentioned early in that campaign by manager Jim Duffy as a player who could make the breakthrough to the top team. Dundee's involvement in the relegation battle meant that Dixon had to wait until the start of the current campaign to make his début.

He impressed on his first appearances in the top team, being voted player of the tournament in the inaugural City of Discovery Cup.

In the 2006-07 season scouts from Southampton and Bolton Wanderers were believed to be on his trail.

No. 2 - Paul Dixon

The left back position has long been a problem for us, I think we could do a lot worse than have a look at highly rated Scotland U21 international Paul Dixon of Dundee.

Dundee rejected a bid from Norwich last summer believed to be around £100k. Killie tried to sign him in the January transfer window but failed. His contract runs out this summer and will be leaving Dens Park

Scott Robertson from Dundee is also out of contract and would be a good signing, rumoured to be going to Tannadice, but I think Dixon is the better signing and would slot straight into our team.

Dixon is apparently very much on the cards.

Karim had said Aberdeen will move a player vd Bergh of Hercules

That would make sense as I read somewhere he was at a Heracles game not too long ago. His team mate Gonzalo Garcia Garcia impressed me against Ajax the other day. Only scored 5 goals this season, but thats in 16 starts. His movement and link up play was great to watch though. Wasn't afraid of running at the defenders which was a nice change.

That would make sense as I read somewhere he was at a Heracles game not too long ago. His team mate Gonzalo Garcia Garcia impressed me against Ajax the other day. Only scored 5 goals this season, but thats in 16 starts. His movement and link up play was great to watch though. Wasn't afraid of running at the defenders which was a nice change.

You got a stutter?  ;)

I'm not sure if he's under contract, but I'd like to see us go for Christian Kalvenes of the Jutes. He's leaving in the summer, and he's been excellent every time I've seen him.

You got a stutter?   ;)

I'm not sure if he's under contract, but I'd like to see us go for Christian Kalvenes of the Jutes. He's leaving in the summer, and he's been excellent every time I've seen him.

Did his parents have a speech impediment?

Haha Padre had a laugh at me for that last week. Most spanish names are longer, maybe they were just lacking imagination to make it sound more interesting.

Re Kalvenes, wouldn't mind seeing him play for the Dons, as you said, certainly been consistant for the Jutes.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Apparently Mrs Kalvenes doesn't like living in Scotland (or Dundee??) and he'll be going back to Norway.  But I'd be all for trying to hijack that if at all possible.

One other that has appeared on the radar (and it might be a long shot) is Darren Huckerby, out of contract at Norwich.  He'd certainly do a job for us either on the wing or through the middle.  Wages would only be a stumbling block if he has other offers...

Apparently Mrs Kalvenes doesn't like living in Scotland (or Dundee??) and he'll be going back to Norway.  But I'd be all for trying to hijack that if at all possible.

One other that has appeared on the radar (and it might be a long shot) is Darren Huckerby, out of contract at Norwich.  He'd certainly do a job for us either on the wing or through the middle.  Wages would only be a stumbling block if he has other offers...

Just read that on BBC as well. As you said though, wages would most certainly be a stumbling block. However, you don't ask, you don't get.

Is it the shopping??

Dixon is apparently very much on the cards.

As under 23 we still need to pay compensation which could prove a stumbling block. Also see Kevin McDonald and Scott Robertson are out of contract with Dundee. Again compensation would be due for both but if we could find the cash for that would sign all three. Mind you if Norwich and Everton have had bids reject for these players recently we have shaft all chance of getting them if they come in again as we will not be able to compete on wages.

Kevin McDonald from Dundee would be a superb signing, worth paying a fee for IMO.

I'd like to see us going for Andy Dorman of St Mirren. Has been a standout for them and loves to get forward from centre mid and scores a few goals.  Scored a cracking volley today. Has the potential to be an able replacement for Nicholson. Would imagine we could get him for a small fee.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/7364125.stm

ICT are skint. Nikaulae from them?? He seems keen enoough to stay in Scotland.

54 goals in 2 seasons??! He seems almost TOO exciting...

We should get in about for Niculae quick. He's probably going to Euro 2008 and, if he has a decent tournament, we've got a proper asset on our hands. However, ICT are also likely to realise this, so they'll be keeping him until July anyway.

I was checking out some information on Melbourne Victory ahead of their upcoming AFC Champions League game against Korean side Chunnam, and was reminded that Grant Brebner is currently playing there. Seems to be doing reasonably well and, if I recall (though this is going back a few years) he was a reasonably useful player. Could be tempted back but is under contract there so that might put paid to that.

Simon Lynch has just been released by Queensland Roar too - he was hardly great at Dundee, but is young and available for nothing and his agent will no doubt be firing his details off to Scottish clubs and seems like just the type of player that would interest JC.