Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V Bonnyrigg Rose

Not a great game and they are being allowed to do more than I’d like but cruising for the most part. Get a third and it’s done. Jensen goes backwards too much plus it’s still clear neither duk or polvara and a left winger. 
Duk does my head in, not a smart player and while he creates occasionally, I’d prefer a legit left mid or even sokler up top Instead of him.

24 minutes ago, redordead said:

This lot are 30 points behind the mighty stenny in league two with Lewis Fae Aldi up front. I expected 4 or 5.

Great chance to put bums back on seats for the rest of the campaign missed.

Yup, pretty poor from us. Never thought we really got going and didn’t take a real grip of the game. Didnt create much either.
speculating but it looked like warnock used the game to have a good look at players in competitive action rather than go on to get rhythm, confidence, and score a few more. But with 3 games this week and two important league games I suppose I get it.

from what I saw morris again proved he’s not good enough and duk had an entire game against that level and still didn’t do much. Both have pace but really don’t effectively use it, and I’m getting really bored with duk’s dribbling. Polvara is a squad player who plays the odd good game, Duncan shows little yet again. With no real quality width and no dominating and driving center mid it won’t get much better any time soon.

Well taken goals fae Bojan,some of the fringe players not showing enough to merit a regular start though,and showing how light and imbalanced our squad is.A cup wins a win like.A look back at some McInnes results early rounds .1 - 0 win at home v Dumbarton(2019),a 1 - 1 draw at home v Stenny(2018),nuff said

Interesting to see how we shape up v a known quantity,Motherwell on Wednesday

Aberdeen interim manager Neil Warnock tells BBC Scotland: "I thought the fans were super. It was a cold day but, as I said to the lads, these kind of cup games you’ve just got to get through and into the hat.

"It's a clean sheet and I’ve had a look at some lads I have not seen much of since I’ve been here. There were some hair-raising moments but, overall, I was quite pleased with it.

"I knew we could get Bojan [Miovski] in some good positions and he took his goals well again – he worked his socks off, as did Shayden [Morris]. Little bit stretched in midfield.

"At the back, they kept a clean sheet, and the young goalie [Ross Doohan] did well as well. It was a good day."

50 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Yup, pretty poor from us. Never thought we really got going and didn’t take a real grip of the game. Didnt create much either.
speculating but it looked like warnock used the game to have a good look at players in competitive action rather than go on to get rhythm, confidence, and score a few more. But with 3 games this week and two important league games I suppose I get it.

from what I saw morris again proved he’s not good enough and duk had an entire game against that level and still didn’t do much. Both have pace but really don’t effectively use it, and I’m getting really bored with duk’s dribbling. Polvara is a squad player who plays the odd good game, Duncan shows little yet again. With no real quality width and no dominating and driving center mid it won’t get much better any time soon.

That about sums it up. Really shite game. One of the biggest disappointments was the lack of urgency in that second half. I felt a bit sorry for Duncan and Phillips who came on and seemed like they might want to play a game and go on and score, while the guys that had been on from the start like MacDonald, Jensen, Devlin and McKenzie just kept slowing the game down, taking fucking ages over throw ins and the like. We got that a lot under McInnes. When Warnock came here talking about fun, I assumed he'd deal with shite like that. It's an entertainment game, and we had won the game, he should have been screaming at that back line to play the fucking game and not attempt game fucking management against a fourth tier team. Nobody who watched that pish will be returning in a hurry. 

As you say, Polvara is a squad player. It baffles me that people were suggesting he was some sort of midfield genius after a meaningless friendly against Frankfurt. He doesn't do the yards, take chances or make tackles, he's just an average squad player. Morris is dogshit and Duk has given up the game of football. Jensen and MacDonald are a terrible pairing. Laboured as fuck. Gartenmann came on and immediately took the ball into the opposition half and looked for a pass, showing at least a small slither of urgency (although he did slice it out of play too!). Sokler was poor, and too interested in playing his man and not the ball. Duncan tried things but was just a bit too rushed in everything. 

Anyway, Warnock cannot afford to fuck about with these guys, he doesn't have the time. He needs to pick a couple that he might be able to work with and bring something to their game and sideline the rest. I'd probably persist with Polvara and Duncan (only cause he came through the youth), ditch Morris, Duk and MacDonald and only play when injury requires it. I think Jensen needs replaced in the summer too. Special mention to Phillips for running around like a mentalist, but he needs to play furthest from defence possible, as he's not really a footballer.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

That about sums it up. Really shite game. One of the biggest disappointments was the lack of urgency in that second half. I felt a bit sorry for Duncan and Phillips who came on and seemed like they might want to play a game and go on and score, while the guys that had been on from the start like MacDonald, Jensen, Devlin and McKenzie just kept slowing the game down, taking fucking ages over throw ins and the like. We got that a lot under McInnes. When Warnock came here talking about fun, I assumed he'd deal with shite like that. It's an entertainment game, and we had won the game, he should have been screaming at that back line to play the fucking game and not attempt game fucking management against a fourth tier team. Nobody who watched that pish will be returning in a hurry. 

As you say, Polvara is a squad player. It baffles me that people were suggesting he was some sort of midfield genius after a meaningless friendly against Frankfurt. He doesn't do the yards, take chances or make tackles, he's just an average squad player. Morris is dogshit and Duk has given up the game of football. Jensen and MacDonald are a terrible pairing. Laboured as fuck. Gartenmann came on and immediately took the ball into the opposition half and looked for a pass, showing at least a small slither of urgency (although he did slice it out of play too!). Sokler was poor, and too interested in playing his man and not the ball. Duncan tried things but was just a bit too rushed in everything. 

Anyway, Warnock cannot afford to fuck about with these guys, he doesn't have the time. He needs to pick a couple that he might be able to work with and bring something to their game and sideline the rest. I'd probably persist with Polvara and Duncan (only cause he came through the youth), ditch Morris, Duk and MacDonald and only play when injury requires it. I think Jensen needs replaced in the summer too. Special mention to Phillips for running around like a mentalist, but he needs to play furthest from defence possible, as he's not really a footballer.

Presumably he was giving as many players as he could a game to see what he's dealing with.  Hopefully he's have learned (not exactly a mensa question) is that Morris, as you say, is really crap...in the first 5 mins he got the ball, skipped past his marker and then, instead of sprinting into the space he'd created, cantered because he's a playground fitba player...beat somebody, look at me I'm so good, take on someone else and lose the ball - his 2 efforts in the 2nd half when he was one-on-one with his marker and he headed for the bye-line but didn't actually get away from his marker so that his cross had to be hurried (see v. St Mirren); that Duk hasn't got it as a player (lucky the ref. didn't book him for his blatant dive which would have been a second yellow), that purple patch he had last season is as good as it's going to get.  Wasn't at all impressed with Barron when he came on unfortunately as I thought he'd have started but I guess Warnock is giving him and Clarkson the chance to impress from the start/come on as sub as his main creative player.  Doohan looked ok-ish but seemed in the same mould at Roos - punch rather that grab, stay on your line - at least he didn't once kick the ball into the  of the stands.  Jack MacKenzie continues to impress.   Good to see Warnock leaves one up front when we're defending a corner (even though it was usually Morris) because it occupies at least 2 of their players.  All of those on here of a religious persuasion (and the rest of us, just in case), please pray that Miovski doesn't get injured.

We're in the next round of the cup and that's all you want, to be honest (tbh as you youngsters would type).

• Like 1