Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dundee vs dons

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Why did Dundee not release the team at 13:45 as normal then? 

The pitch inspection was literally taking place at that point.

I'd agree Dundee could have done more. Ie my dad lives in Dundee and said it had been raining all morning - get the covers on the pitch and start clearing water off the pitch if there's any on it. 

But the referee rocking up, giving a quick pitch inspection then calling it off without speaking to the managers is bizarre. Apparently it was just one of the goalmouths that was the concern - delay the start of the game and get it cleared. 

If that game is live on sky then it's being played, so when there's a will there's a way. 

2 hours ago, DantheDon said:

I guess it's a break in terms of exerting themselves for 90 mins. But all the build up and training for the game would've happened as if we are playing. I'm not really qualified to say what the effect of that is. 

Not only that there is no recovery period for the squad so Robson can get them on the training pitch tomorrow  when he wouldn't have been able to prior.   We will defo be fresher come the Motherwell game than we would have been. 

5 hours ago, Panda said:

Maybe the referee still has his Christmas shopping to do.

Not a good look that game is called off at 2pm and an hour later Dundee are training on it.

From the videos the pitch didn't look great, and I still think Dundee have been negligent not having the pitch covered this morning, but could they not have pushed kick-off back to 3:30 and cleared the pitch?

haha...there was a number of times when the Club I used to help run when living down south and at this time of year the ref. would turn up at 1.30pm (for a 2pm KO) and say, "Nah, the pitch isn't playable, game's off...and I'll take my £50 fee thanks very much".

By the tine I'd reached Dens Park (about 2pm) the rain had stopped, so as you say, it would have been easy to delay the KO, clear the water off the pitch and start at 3:30/3:45 but obviously the ref. wouldn't then have had time to buy Mrs McDermid a hoover for Xmas (which she will, hopefully, shove up his arse).  Still a least I had the opportunity to look round the Discovery Museum...except it was ******* closed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1