Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Celtic

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

So next twenty four hours to welcome back Scales or tell The Tims to go fuck themselves and we move on.

Enough of this fiddling to their tune.

Here’s a controversial one for you. Scales won’t be cheap, so you sign two central mids instead of one and move shinnie to the left. If it’s a back 4 we already have mcgarry shinnie and  Mackenzie, back 3 we have ruby Macdonald and Williams plus Stewart Milne and devlin if needed. Starting to wonder if scales is a luxury we don’t need when central midfield additions are much needed.

9 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Here’s a controversial one for you. Scales won’t be cheap, so you sign two central mids instead of one and move shinnie to the left. If it’s a back 4 we already have mcgarry shinnie and  Mackenzie, back 3 we have ruby Macdonald and Williams plus Stewart Milne and devlin if needed. Starting to wonder if scales is a luxury we don’t need when central midfield additions are much needed.

Think Stewart Milne is past it to be fair mate 😉

Your alternative point however about the necessity to recruit Scales is interesting and think it might actually have some merit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BigAl said:

Think Stewart Milne is past it yo be fair mate 😉

Your alternative point however about the necessity to recruit Scales is interesting and think it might actually have dome merit 

Ha. Stewart and Milne, although given how Stewart played last year our ex chief may be a better alternative. 
we’ve played two games and look decent defensively, plus Macdonald makes us stronger. I assume Williams is good too although we don’t ultimately know. Do we really need scales? Like him and happy to get him but it’s because of our midfield we’ve got one point out of 6 so far, not enough quality there.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Another game, another baffling lack of substitutes.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

It’s not really about making a difference, more balancing out Celtic having 5 players with fresh legs and fitness levels usually being a main contributor to result swings in the last 10-15 minutes of games.

Nah I disagree, you don't take off someone playing well just to freshen it up. We were creating chances and getting at Celtic, no need to disrupt it.

The only sub I disagreed with was I'd have taken off Miovski ahead of Duk.

• Like 2

A settled defence and better end product from Duncan and Morris* then we potentially win that.

Shame, but we've transfers still to come in and 36 games to go. Our attitude was good and we rattled Celtic a lot.

*I get the "he wasn't shite" comments, and fair play he got stuck in. But struggling to think of one good ball into the box. There was one point he beat two Celtic players - proving he can actually take players on and beat them - but he doesn't do it enough, let's defenders stand him up too much.

I'd say he's probably earned an extended stay and a season working under Robson and we may well get a player out of him yet. But I still think we're crying out for a better player there.

Interesting game, we played well and we're unlucky. Shinnie was probably motm today, and whilst I get the suggestion of moving him left, that'd mean some very good signings to replace that energy and ball winning. Polvara was good again today and is exactly the type of squad player we'll need. Morris did really well, so it'll give us lots of options when MacDonald is back and Rubezic is moved right one. McKenzie had another solid performance too. Devlin just had a brain fart, the type of mistake that you can't legislate for, nor read too much into. He wasn't under any notable pressure. The Tims were very divey today, with Ralston a joke. Not convinced it was remotely a foul for their first, with the ball there to be won, but would like to see it back. When Duk got going he was good, then faded quickly and should have been off sooner. Would probably have taken Morris off for the last ten too. I liked the change to a 4-4-2, it was a bit different. Thought Duncan handled the game well also.

10 minutes ago, Panda said:

A settled defence and better end product from Duncan and Morris* then we potentially win that.

Shame, but we've transfers still to come in and 36 games to go. Our attitude was good and we rattled Celtic a lot.

*I get the "he wasn't shite" comments, and fair play he got stuck in. But struggling to think of one good ball into the box. There was one point he beat two Celtic players - proving he can actually take players on and beat them - but he doesn't do it enough, let's defenders stand him up too much.

I'd say he's probably earned an extended stay and a season working under Robson and we may well get a player out of him yet. But I still think we're crying out for a better player there.

Very harsh on Morris! He tracked back well, got his angles right defensively to prevent maeda from running directly at Devlin and still managed to take on players going forward. Getting crosses in is very difficult for a wing back as your starting position is almost always deep. If you take the cross from deep, there's a high percentage chance that a defender is getting to it first, and then if you skin your man usually the defence has had time to get into shape to cut it out. There were a couple of crosses that had to be cut out and at least one to the far post that needed dealt with, which is fine because there's always the chance of picking up the loose ball. Duncan had one brilliant ball across the face also, but our system generally aims for one of the front two in behind.

21 minutes ago, SeeBass said:

Thank God I don't waste £150-£200 on travel, overnight accommodation, food and drink anymore to come up for the Old Firm matches at Pittodrie.

Given the continuous poor showings against the two Glasgow sides I can't justify the expense.    

Ken fit you mean SeeBass but a little unfair to suggest that today was a poor showing. 

Poor result yes but poor showing, I don't think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panda said:

IMG_0412.thumb.jpeg.1da0fcee330f6e6a50656e85d6b9db09.jpeg

Not sure he knows the meaning of the word "humble" if that's how he reacts to a 20-minute cameo.

I think that’s the tackle where potentially Rudy could have been sent off. He’s already been booked and Celtic broke down the left, Rudy tried to take him out but missed!

51 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I think that’s the tackle where potentially Rudy could have been sent off. He’s already been booked and Celtic broke down the left, Rudy tried to take him out but missed!

Not having that

Settle down min

If you're giving a second yellow for that then kerrydale street is your destination mate 👍

• Haha 1

Thought we played as well as we could today but never really looked like winning the game. Always felt like Celtic had another gear to go through where as for most of our players today was as good as it gets. Was better than I feared it would be but really still the same end result. 

18 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Not giving a booking, Rudy tried to take him out but missed.

I agree, he was lucky not to catch him, and could easily have got a yellow for the lunge. However, it would have been exceptionally harsh to give him a second yellow for it. I know we were playing one of the scum, but it is traditional to give a first booking initially.

9 hours ago, BigAl said:

So next twenty four hours to welcome back Scales or tell The Tims to go fuck themselves and we move on.

Enough of this fiddling to their tune.

But why 24 hours?

Carter-Vickers has just done his hamstring, can't see Celtic being in a rush to let a central defender go.

We don't need Scales per say, but if he's available we should sign him. We're probably not going to sign another LCB as we have Mackenzie and Williams capable of playing there, so we'll sign Scales on the basis that we'll either get him permanent now or potentially in the future.

If we hand out a deadline, it passes, then he becomes available, do we just let Hibs or someone sign him instead?

8 hours ago, Panda said:

He was always having to check back as the box was empty. By the time we got up and put it wife to deliver he was 2v1 hard to get a good ball in.

On that note I personally think that the noble cross is a dead art now. Percentage football produces ugly low cutbacks. I'd love to see balls fitted across the six yard box but it's very rare at the top level.

8 hours ago, Panda said:

But why 24 hours?

The Tims are doing nothing wrong per se, as Scales in a contracted player of theirs.

We were never in my opinion getting him ahead of yesterday's game and certainly not on a permanent deal, but now that that game is past, surely for AFC it is stick or twist time.

We are now a week and a half away from our best opportunity to play in the group stages of Europe's second top club tournament and IF we are indeed planning on signing a new left footed defender time is running out fast.

I'd hate to think that we have put all our eggs in one basket but with all the talk about Scales coming from the club and if we have then lets complete the loan or permanent signing now. If not, then surely to Christ we have other targets lined up and lets move on.

Liam Scales is a perfectly competent footballer but he's hardly the next Paolo Maldini and who's to say we can't do better.

As I opened this with, the Tims are within their rights but sick of being their bitch hanging about for the scraps from their table.

Just my opinion Panda 

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

The Tims are doing nothing wrong per se, as Scales in a contracted player of theirs.

We were never in my opinion getting him ahead of yesterday's game and certainly not on a permanent deal, but now that that game is past, surely for AFC it is stick or twist time.

We are now a week and a half away from our best opportunity to play in the group stages of Europe's second top club tournament and IF we are indeed planning on signing a new left footed defender time is running out fast.

I'd hate to think that we have put all our eggs in one basket but with all the talk about Scales coming from the club and if we have then lets complete the loan or permanent signing now. If not, then surely to Christ we have other targets lined up and lets move on.

Liam Scales is a perfectly competent footballer but he's hardly the next Paolo Maldini and who's to say we can't do better.

As I opened this with, the Tims are within their rights but sick of being their bitch hanging about for the scraps from their table.

Just my opinion Panda 

There's no urgency for Scales, or any other defender, regardless. Against teams that attack us, McKenzie isn't a weak point, as he showed on Sunday. It's when he has to step out with the ball that there are issues. Scales does that far better and is just generally an upgrade. Getting MacDonald back fit is probably more of a priority for our defence in my opinion. I'd let Scales go to the wire and insist that we get him permanently. If there's not a deal to be done then leave the Tims with an extra squad player that they don't have a use for, or let some other club loan him (I don't think Hibs or hearts would be willing to spend the money on him if we aren't). Concentrate on the midfield options and let it simmer away in the background. If we have to go with the defensive options until January, that's probably okay. 

19 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Interesting game, we played well and we're unlucky. Shinnie was probably motm today, and whilst I get the suggestion of moving him left, that'd mean some very good signings to replace that energy and ball winning. Polvara was good again today and is exactly the type of squad player we'll need. Morris did really well, so it'll give us lots of options when MacDonald is back and Rubezic is moved right one. McKenzie had another solid performance too. Devlin just had a brain fart, the type of mistake that you can't legislate for, nor read too much into. He wasn't under any notable pressure. The Tims were very divey today, with Ralston a joke. Not convinced it was remotely a foul for their first, with the ball there to be won, but would like to see it back. When Duk got going he was good, then faded quickly and should have been off sooner. Would probably have taken Morris off for the last ten too. I liked the change to a 4-4-2, it was a bit different. Thought Duncan handled the game well also.

I'm not sure we were unlucky to be honest Rico and would take issue with your point about Shinnie being motm.  His stupid challenge led to the first goal and he missed a glaring header to make it 1-1, that to me is not motm stuff.  

Devlin will have to up his game as well because he's not playing for Livi anymore.  At the end of the day, he is a defender and handed the first goal on a plate then was very lucky not to have given away a penalty in the second half for his clumsy challenge on one of the jappy guys.  Amazed it did not get looked at by the VAR people.

Yes, we had a couple of chances but Celtic missed a great opportunity straight from the kick off after one of the goals.  We also got off the hook when Kyogo missed a sitter.

Got to be more streetwise in these big games and start being horrible to play against.  People seem almost accepting of the defeat yesterday because it was an exciting game, which is missing the point.  That is exactly what Celtic want it to be, an end to end bonnie fitba contest.  The teams that do well against the Old Firm this season won't play like we played yesterday because they know they will get wiped off the park.  A horrible 0-0 would have helped the confidence much more than playing well and still getting soundly beaten.