Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Dons give Irish training camp miss

Calderwood pulls out of Galway trip after organisers take too long to finalise plans

By Paul Smith

Published: 29/04/2008

Aberdeen have pulled out of a summer training camp in Ireland. The Dons had been invited to face Leeds United and Galway United during a six-day stint on the Emerald Isle from July 13.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood yesterday confirmed he has pulled the plug on the trip after losing patience with organisers.

He said: “It is very disappointing because I had been over to visit and was very impressed with the training facilities at Galway. The host team and Leeds would have given us two very good games but unfortunately it has taken too long to finalise.

“I decided at the weekend we could not wait any more and instead we will remain in Aberdeen and organise alternative friendly games closer to home.

“We will still be going to Holland as planned but I had hoped for two training camps because of the changes there will be in the squad over the summer. It is always a great bonding opportunity when you take a team away, especially when new faces are involved, but we have to finalise our plans sooner rather than later.â€

Galway United were behind the proposed mini-tournament but will now have to find a replacement for the Dons.

Aberdeen will face Manchester United at Pittodrie in a testimonial for the 1983 European Cup-Winners’ Cup winning squad and head for an 11-day training camp in Holland on July 23.

In between they will aim to play matches against local opposition, with Brechin among the teams lined up.

Who will be in the Aberdeen team for those early games remains unclear.

Calderwood, who missed Saturday’s game at Hibs due to an overseas scouting trip, will return to his Pittodrie desk on Thursday after six days on the road.

Slovakian forward Pavol Masaryk, of SK Slovan Bratislava, is the latest name to be linked but a move for the attacker is unlikely.

Calderwood said: “These trips are always productive but I am not going to talk about specific individuals until deals are done.

“At this stage no one has signed and there are no pre-contract agreements in place with any players. There are also decisions to be made with some of the existing members of the squad.

“I would say Alan Maybury and Stuart Duff have done their chances of being offered contracts no harm at all recently, but we will leave those decisions until later.

“Lee Miller has yet to give us his answer on the deal on the table. He is the type of character who likes to take his time over decisions and all we can do is wait for him to come back to us.â€

Miller returned to form in Saturday’s 2-1 win at Hibs and will be a key player in the chase for a European place in the remaining three games of the SPL season.

Defender Zander Diamond will sit out two of those fixtures after being hit by a ban. Diamond has passed through the disciplinary points threshold and will be suspended for Saturday’s game against Dundee United and the following weekend’s trip to Motherwell.

Diamond could face further sanctions today when he faces the SFA general purposes committee to explain his criticism of referee Iain Brines in the aftermath of the recent defeat at Celtic when he had an equalising goal ruled out for handball.

Meanwhile, on-loan De Graafschap defender Dave Bus has agreed a one year contract with Dutch Second Division side Go Ahead Eagles and will join them in the summer when his temporary Dons deal expires.

Pity - Ireland would have been good, although playing Leeds might have been asking for trouble!!

Suspect potential trouble maybe have been one of the reasons for the trip being cancelled.

Anyone seen anything on who we might be playing in Holland as still thinking of going over.

Jager, you're forgetting Deventer and F-side Hoolies too ;) I remember the last time we played Utrecht, the amount of abuse we got because we lost to that amateur team  :-[

Edit: I just seen where Delden is, at least its not in the outback, close to Enschede and Apeldoorn. Don't think you can get intl flights to Enschede, but it'll be about and hour or two depending on the train from Amsterdam I think.

Jager, you're forgetting Deventer and F-side Hoolies too ;) I remember the last time we played Utrecht, the amount of abuse we got because we lost to that amateur team  :-[

Edit: I just seen where Delden is, at least its not in the outback, close to Enschede and Apeldoorn. Don't think you can get intl flights to Enschede, but it'll be about and hour or two depending on the train from Amsterdam I think.

The 2 previous Holland trips AFC always stayed in Delden but played all over the place so wouldn't book that area for accommodation just yet and would wait for fixtures to come out first.  We ended up staying down south in Arnhem, Mastricht and Zwolle and up north in Amsterdam for those pre-seasons which was great central bases for getting to places we were playing.

The 2 previous Holland trips AFC always stayed in Delden but played all over the place so wouldn't book that area for accommodation just yet and would wait for fixtures to come out first.  We ended up staying down south in Arnhem, Mastricht and Zwolle and up north in Amsterdam for those pre-seasons which was great central bases for getting to places we were playing.

Just hope they don't arrange a "friendly" with Ado, that would be fun  ::) Though they have a nice wee ground. We really do play in some random places in Holland. Maastricht is a beutiful place eh! I think one of the most underated Dutch cities. I suppose these games will be happening during July?

Just hope they don't arrange a "friendly" with Ado, that would be fun  ::) Though they have a nice wee ground. We really do play in some random places in Holland. Maastricht is a beutiful place eh! I think one of the most underated Dutch cities. I suppose these games will be happening during July?

All i can remember about Maastricht was coming out of a nightclub with some local MMV Maastricht fans (who had taken us under their wing after we beat their main rivals Fortuna Sittard) with 3 of us in shorts, trainers and Aberdeen tops at 6am and the sun being out!!

Milners who had went back to hotel at 11pm as we went out for one drink was soundo and couldn't get back into room and woke up half the hotel banging on the door.  Great trips!!

And if playing in south of Holland maybe look at going via Dusseldorf (cheap flights) and checking whether Kirmes festival is on there (on for about 10 days in July).  Came across this when we flew to Dusseldorf for pre-season which was meant to start in Krefeld in Germany but ended up cancelled cause of rain!!

Played ADO pre-season before - my mate says the 5 of them had to leg it through Zuiderpark after the game.

As for ADO having a "nice wee ground" - they've just moved to a bigger out of towner and are in real bother cos nobody is going to the games. (aberdeen in 2011 anyone?)

It'll just be loads of casuals after bother - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!!!

Think the penthouse flat should be empty then Jute so we can live like kings in the Hague for free... you're only a couple of hours from anywhere then anyway.

Must have met you K-9 if you were at that last utrecht game - 3 years ago? i think?

Sitting up at the end terrace - some other lads I met sent one of their lot for a carry oot and it was thrown over the canal at the back of the ground into the stadium.

Some friendly ribbing of an utrecht fan in a rangers baseball cap too.

I missed my train after the sittard game and ended up going back to den haag via schipol and not getting into the flat until 3.30am.  Happy days.

You must have been with Mike P?