Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Arabs - Dons

McLennan was the kid who was faster than everyone else and got success from that. But skill and intelligence is limited and we see that. Law of averages, we get an occasional highlight but he’s shit most of the time. Hayes, like mcginn, is on the decline and no longer has the pace to beat everyone and is becoming an average left back.

We have Ferguson, mccrorie, and Lewis. Hedges is hot and cold. Considine and Hayes have age against them and will only get worse. And that’s it. Maybe Campbell. But we have  a poor squad now, and the results prove it.

36 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

McLennan was the kid who was faster than everyone else and got success from that. But skill and intelligence is limited and we see that. Law of averages, we get an occasional highlight but he’s shit most of the time. Hayes, like mcginn, is on the decline and no longer has the pace to beat everyone and is becoming an average left back.

We have Ferguson, mccrorie, and Lewis. Hedges is hot and cold. Considine and Hayes have age against them and will only get worse. And that’s it. Maybe Campbell. But we have  a poor squad now, and the results prove it.

But add three players to that, as we saw with Watkins and Wright earlier in the season then the best attributes of the others can be brought out. McLennan just needs better management, so does Hayes. Hayes' best period for us was when he was told to run at the byline and kick the ball square into the box. McLennan could execute those simple instructions all day long and his crosses are actually not too bad (see his tee up for Campbell yesterday). McInnes' problem was always that he tried to get limited players to do far too much (see Kennedy). It's where Clarke absolutely excelled at killie, getting the best out of guys like Stewart by giving them a set of very simple instructions and responsibilities - none of the changing wing to wing and through the middle nonsense that McInnes insisted on. McLennan, Hayes and even Kennedy have particular attributes that a good manager could get a lot out of, and there are plenty of worse players in the SPFL. They shouldn't be a hindrance to finishing third, and one or two additions could bring out a bit more in then too. I don't think they're the long term answer necessarily, but they're more than workable for a couple of windows. With decent earners like Devlin, Logan, McGinn and so on moving on at the end of the season, a new manager should be reasonably happy with the base he's been given. 

I'd like to see us move McRorie into defence for next season and get a new midfielder in to compliment Ferguson and Campbell. A number 10 to replace Kamberi and a number 9 and a wide player. Youth making up the rest until we get more of an idea what's required and leave a chunk of budget for January.

15 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

But add three players to that, as we saw with Watkins and Wright earlier in the season then the best attributes of the others can be brought out. McLennan just needs better management, so does Hayes. Hayes' best period for us was when he was told to run at the byline and kick the ball square into the box. McLennan could execute those simple instructions all day long and his crosses are actually not too bad (see his tee up for Campbell yesterday). McInnes' problem was always that he tried to get limited players to do far too much (see Kennedy). It's where Clarke absolutely excelled at killie, getting the best out of guys like Stewart by giving them a set of very simple instructions and responsibilities - none of the changing wing to wing and through the middle nonsense that McInnes insisted on. McLennan, Hayes and even Kennedy have particular attributes that a good manager could get a lot out of, and there are plenty of worse players in the SPFL. They shouldn't be a hindrance to finishing third, and one or two additions could bring out a bit more in then too. I don't think they're the long term answer necessarily, but they're more than workable for a couple of windows. With decent earners like Devlin, Logan, McGinn and so on moving on at the end of the season, a new manager should be reasonably happy with the base he's been given. 

I'd like to see us move McRorie into defence for next season and get a new midfielder in to compliment Ferguson and Campbell. A number 10 to replace Kamberi and a number 9 and a wide player. Youth making up the rest until we get more of an idea what's required and leave a chunk of budget for January.

Don’t agree on McLennan. I’ve coached many a player like him, it doesn’t take intelligence to fumble a ball, he’s limited in skill, plus dribble out of bounds etc, and he does that every single game. His feet, speed, and brain don’t work together.

I agree Watkins and Wright made a difference, but my point is that every other player is replaceable. They are decent on their day and add some good players they’re acceptable, but we have a poor squad now overall.

personally I’d like to see us cash in on Ferguson. He’s peaked with us, much like McKenna did, and I think we get what we can for him before we go the McKenna route and accept less later on. Maybe Campbell at Motherwell replaces him. Give the manager some funds to really build a new squad. Plus make mccrorie captain as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Don’t agree on McLennan. I’ve coached many a player like him, it doesn’t take intelligence to fumble a ball, he’s limited in skill, plus dribble out of bounds etc, and he does that every single game. His feet, speed, and brain don’t work together.

I agree Watkins and Wright made a difference, but my point is that every other player is replaceable. They are decent on their day and add some good players they’re acceptable, but we have a poor squad now overall.

personally I’d like to see us cash in on Ferguson. He’s peaked with us, much like McKenna did, and I think we get what we can for him before we go the McKenna route and accept less later on. Maybe Campbell at Motherwell replaces him. Give the manager some funds to really build a new squad. Plus make mccrorie captain as well

I didn't suggest that McLennan was a great player, just that given limited instructions he can do a job, which he proved earlier in the season with a run at right wing back. In the same way as foster was able to do a job for both us and the Huns despite being average. Put another way, McLennan won't be an excuse for not finishing third next season. I also didn't suggest that players weren't replaceable. In fact, I think you've missed my entire point, which is that with a few additions our squad is good enough to finish third. It's largely similar to most of the squads McInnes has had in his time, whereby as soon as we lose two or three to injury, the remains fall way short. I don't think the current team are any worse than the nwakali pish that lost to Motherwell at Hampden, or the team that lost to championship hibees and went eight games without a win. It's unrealistic on our budget to expect us to not have guys like McLennan, Hayes and Kennedy forming part of the squad, they're just part of the turnover of players. On any given day, if our scouts were asked to replace McLennan on his wages we'd probably have a 40% chance of getting someone better (our scouts, not you or I) based on our current success rate. Over time, these guys will be replaced and we'll get a few more Josh parkers on the way.

I'm not sure about McRorie. He's got the attitude of a captain, but he's been gash since covid. It's like watching flood at times. His final ball, his reading of the game yesterday was all over the shop. I'd play him at the back before making him captain. 

Ferguson should be forced to stay and play to the level we know he's capable of. A good manager would get far more out of him in my opinion. McInnes did a fairly good job with getting guys like Ferguson and Campbell integrated into the first team, but you then start to get the performances we saw from both Jack and McLean, whereby they played within themselves for a long time - the cautious approach. Ferguson has another gear at least and I think we could get proper money for him with the right direction. Although, if we got a good offer now, I'd probably agree with you!

I understand what you are saying. We have decent players who would compliment good players. I get that. But these players have been producing nothing of late and I’d be inclined to freshen the squad up. We will anyway, just curious to see who actually survives. With a new guy coming in give him a chance to make it his squad. 

In regards to McLennan, I’d rather see what Ethan ross can do. I disagree with Ferguson. I don’t see him improving significantly under us any more. He needs better players to make him better. Replace him with Campbell or Jackson Irvine for example and it’s a new guy here to prove himself. I think that’s a better option, plus some spare change to spend in the process.

I posted on the other thread, wonder what Alex Neil would get out of this bunch, and who he’s able to bring in???

• Like 2

Sheerin, Robson and all the rest of them must get jettisoned too, as soon as possible. All these staff are stealing their wages.

It's obvious there's a culture of not giving a shit around the club. Hence we have our players signing for the huns, while the manager sings the praises of the same huns for going about stealing our players in such a polite fashion.

I'm inclined to agree re: the coaching staff, unless they show a complete mindset change over the next few games, will probably need to be offski.  The culture of the club (as well as squad members) needs overhauling this summer and we've got a good excuse to do it.

Ferguson definitely has another level in him and hopefully whoever comes in can extract it out of him.  But agree with LA, we'd be silly not to try and sell for the right price.  Team dependent too.  I am concerned re: McRorie tbh. I wonder if we've now signed a dud (due to covid) and if he'll ever rediscover his form. His lungs will be fucked as a consequence of it, hence his poor fitness levels.